“Aaaah! What a super place.”
Review of Grasmere Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Grasmere
Grasmere Hotel
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Aaaah! What a super place.”
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

This is our second visit to Rob & Anton's hotel, but we know them well from enjoying stays at their previous hotel in Borrowdale.
What is it that makes this place so special? Attention to detail and catering for every aspect of their clients needs and wishes.
With a group of friends, we took over the hotel for 3 days and, despite the weather, had the most marvellous stay - and great walks. Our evenings were enlivened with Bridge tournaments.
We all left with that inner glow of a very pleasant stay, with good food and wine, great company and the finest staff, facilities and comfort in Grasmere.
I can say that with some certainty, having stayed in Grasmere scores of times over a fifty year period in most of the significant hotels.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Whaley Bridge, Derbyshire
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I have just returned from a 3 night stay at this delightful hotel. This was arranged by my best friend as a birthday treat, and a place she has stayed in many times. The hotel is everything one could hope for, beautiful décor, comfortable bedrooms with high spec.en suites, food of the highest quality served in a cosy dining room, staff welcoming, friendly and highly efficient. I think the Grasmere is probably one of the best hotels I have stayed in and ticks every box for a relaxing holiday. Thank you to all concerned.

USA
Reviewed 24 October 2013

So I think the Brits must moan and groan about the weather in the Lake District in order to keep the Yanks away. We had a beautiful day today, in late October! We went for two different hikes, one on the hills overlooking Ambleside (about an hour), and the other up the valley above Coniston (about three hours). Didn't even carry umbrellas. Might have gotten a little sun-burned. Really!

Seriously folks, it rains a lot here. We clearly had the best day of the week. However, I think the Grasmere Hotel would be one of the best places to stay, rain or shine.

It's 5:45 PM. After returning from our hikes, I left my wife in the room to rest and walked down the street for a proper pint (cask-conditioned ale). Then I returned to the hotel and took a nice hot shower and dressed for dinner. Now I'm relaxing in front of a gorgeous fire with a half-bottle of fairly decent chablis, catching up on emails. And writing this review.

The hotel is in the center of Grasmere, a very small village in the center of the Lake District. Grasmere is just to the north of Ambleside, which is to the north of Windermere. If you have a family and just can't live without the noise and bustle of civilization, stay in Windermere. I never have. I won't fault Ambleside -- I've stayed there many times and it's a nice little town -- you could do much worse. But Grasmere is a gem. It's small. There might be a single block you could drive around. Maybe. A few restaurants and pubs/bars, usually attached to small hotels and B&B's. A gingerbread shop. And good number of sheep, that seemed to stare at us as if to say, "what the hell are you doing looking at?"

The Grasmere Hotel probably has 8-10 rooms. There are about 8-10 tables in the dining room, with seating for 15-20 in the living rooms just off the dining room. Our room is on the top floor. I'm pretty sure they were full up last night, and I didn't hear a sound from any of the other guests. Dinner is served starting at 7 PM, and at about 20 pounds per person is a bargain. The food was outstanding. My lamb was so good that my wife will probably have it tonight. The wine list is very reasonable. Coffee is served after dinner back in the living rooms in front of the fire, with guests mingling and chatting.

Breakfast is served from 8:30 (earlier if you can do without the full cooked breakfast). The Full Cumbrian includes eggs, sausage, bacon (closer to ham for you Yanks), fried potato, stewed tomato, and black pudding (or blood sausage). Toast, cereal, juice, coffee, yogurt, ... get the idea? As I said before, I did two hikes today, about 4 hours total of walking in the hills. I didn't have lunch.

In conclusion, this was my first trip back to the Lake District in about 20 years. My early visits were as a student, so I know the Youth Hostels better than the B&Bs and hotels in this area. However, I give Rob & Anton two thumbs up for the Grasmere Hotel. I'm sure we could try other places, and might even be very satisfied. In fact, we probably would be -- it's a special place, clearly. But why bother? We couldn't have asked for a better stay.

Room Tip: Beatrix on the 3rd floor was very quiet. The bathroom was new and very well-done. Perfect for us!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2013

We have not stayed at this hotel since its refurbishment. What a good place to stay in a very nice village. The staff were excellent without exception, our room very comfortable and the proprietor very welcoming. We dined at the hotel for each of our 4 night stay and the quality of the fare on offer was invariably excellent. We will stay again but pray for a bit of sunshine.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with IKnowUK

Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. The hotel itself is clean and nicely decorated throughout, the staff were fab, the lounge area lovely and relaxing and I highly recommend eating here. There is a discount if you pre-book your meal with your reservation and I am glad we did! It was wonderful and I am a fussy eater who is hard to please!
The only down side is - we only stayed one night!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissSLB
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Grasmere. It is a very well run hotel where the service is excellent. All the rooms have been refurbished and are of a high standard. The food is Glorious and well presented. It did not stop raining all weekend but we knew we could still have a good weekend at this hotel

Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We returned to the hotel last weekend with 4 friends for a 2 night break and we were not disappointed. Since our last visit over a year ago Rob and Anton have refurbished the top floor rooms and the deluxe doubles were superbly appointed, we stayed in Di Qincy and had a very comfortable stay. The food was superb and well presented.
We all agreed that the hotel has set a very high standard and despite a very wet weekend we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay, so good in fact we have booked to return in 2014.
Thanks very much Rob and Anton and your staff for a great weekend and enjoy your winter break as you all deserve it. See you next October or sooner.

Room Tip: all are good
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,317 reviews
Cedar Manor Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Grasmere Hotel? Share your experiences!