“Really friendly”

Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Really friendly”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We were delayed on our way to Oak Bank but this was no problem, sandwiches were made for us without asking and because the proprietress felt sorry for us and our long journey she upgraded our room. Frankly we couldn't have asked for more with this hotel, the food was good, their local knowledge was excellent and they couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank philip h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2011

The Oak Bank Hotel was quite small and our room was too. But now I know that great things come in small packages. The friendliness, cleanliness and service was excellent.
The food really was 'fine dining'. I can't remember staying anywhere else in the Lakes that has food to compare. It would be a real treat for anyone looking for that something extra.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 460CaroleR
North Yorkshire
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Yes we visited Oak Bank Hotel for a third time (this year) in October and as we have come to expect everything was better than first class! The whole experience is about comfort and being very well looked after by Glynis and Simon and their staff - nothing is too much trouble. I have said it before and will no doubt say it again "what a find"! Now looking forward to February and our next visit, we wouldn't go anywhere else, can't speak too highly of this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jolydaan
South Lakes
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We met up with friends at Grasmere, for a 2-night stay at this hotel. From the minute you walk in, its warm and welcoming and you just know you're going to have a real chill-out! Coal fires, yummy food, great decor and attentive staff - a real gem of a place. I'd recommend that you take advantage of the dining-in offer (ie booking in advance). The food was superb and our non-dairy diet was very thoughtfully cared for. If you choose not to eat in, I can reccommend Sara's Bistro, which is right next door - VERY handy on a wet and windy December evening! Well done Oak Bank - and thanks again.

Room Tip: We chose the standard rooms - and all 3 booked were spotless, quiet and beautifully decorated. Plus...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

We have just returned from a weekend at the Oak Bank Hotel to celebrate my birthday. I have stayed at several locations in Grasmere and Oak Bank was one I always wanted to try. We had high expectations after the rave reviews on the trip advisor and I must say they were not exaggerated.

We stayed in room 1, it was located on the first floor and overlooked the garden. The room itself was clean and had a comfy bed with a small sofa located at the foot of it. They do leave a small carafe of sherry in your room which is a nice touch and refilled everyday. The bar lounge had a roaring log fire and was tastefully furnished with candles glowing creating a conjusive atmosphere. Canapes were served while choosing from the evening menu and a good bar selection all served efficiently by either Simon or Glynnis the owners.

The evening meals are like a work of art and the choices are so unusual that we could not fault anything. The service from the owners or Marjorie is excellent and they are super efficent at serving you. The breakfast also has several choices from a full oak bank grill, to smoked salmon, minute steaks etc.....

The hotel has easy access into Grasmere and ideal for exploring further a field. Thank you all for making my birthday a special treat & like so many other guests we spoke to at the hotel we too will be returning.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are good from what we heard.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My girlfirend and I had never been to the Lakes before and had pretty much no clue as to where to stay. Grasmere as a location was highly recommended by friends, and we just figured that apart from eating and walking we wouldn't be doing much else during a weekend there. Seeing as though the walking bit comes free regardless of where you stay, we decided to try and find a hotel in Grasmere which did really nice food, and boy did we succeed.

The dining experience as a whole, and level of service, is especially crucial to us as I suffer with potentially fatal allergies to many foods. However, from day one and making the booking over the phone, to the correspondence in the weeks preceding the stay, to the moment it came to take out seats at the dinner table, owner-couple Glynis and Simon were totally on the ball and thought of everything in not only reassuring me there would be no difficulty in me eating there, but also in delivering one of the most pleasurable dining experiences of my life.

To give an example of just how well we were treated, I expressed a doubt over whether the cumberland sausage at breakfast would be ok for me to eat. Without prompting, Simon went into the kitchen, rang his butcher (on a Saturday morning) and found out for sure. When you've had awful experiences in restaurants which have landed you in an Emergency Room, it's these kind of touches which really make the difference.

I won't bang on about the food too much as it would take me forever and I don't think there's anything I could say which can do the chefs justice. Four courses plus a canape and post-dessert coffee from a menu which changes daily - no matter when you stay you will find plenty to enjoy here. Breakfasts too are pretty impressive.

The hotel itself is very nice, quaint, yet has a very homely feel to it - especially in the evenings with the fire going in the lounge. The room was perfectly adequate and very clean. The only slight issue we had with any part of our two night stay was that my girlfriend and I didn't sleep very well on either of the nights. I think we just didn't monitor the temperature at all and it got very hot. I think the curtain in our room did an overly successful job at heat retention!

It's only a slight blot on what was overall a fantastic stay which, considering the quality of food and service, was serious value for money.

Would book again without a doubt.

Tyldesley
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Had a wonderful time. Food was excellent and so were the hosts, Booked for next year.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 8 views were fantastic
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#7 of 14 in Grasmere
The Lancrigg Hotel
The Lancrigg Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Oak Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!