“Great food but...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
UK
“Great food but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

As another reviewer has already said, the reviews seem to fall into two categories: "the vast majority of guests find it excellent, but a very small number find it very poor". I fall into the latter category and would not return.

My husband and I stayed for one night in September 2012 whilst on our way home from The Borders, as we wanted to break up our journey.

The food was amazing and of good restaurant quality. The quality of the food is what has saved my overall rating from being very poor to poor.

This is a small hotel, so I expected friendly and personal service. However, this was not my experience from check in to check out. Considering that I had to specify our approximate arrival time in advance (6pm) I got the impression that our arrival was an inconvenience and our welcome was rather curt. Nonetheless we remained cheery and polite.

The room was on the small side and looked fairly recently decorated, but the bathroom (although clean and functional) looked like it was still awaiting refurbishment.

The waitress at dinner was friendly and helpful, but the lady (possibly the owner?) that had greeted me on arrival remained curt and abrupt (to us and the waitress). Other guests (who were staying longer) seemed to be treated differently and we felt like second class citizens for either not being walkers or for only staying for one night, perhaps. We were nothing but polite and jovial and this response seemed unwarranted.

It was just before dinner that I started to notice the rules/notices! Most of them were quite reasonable and what I would describe as polite or considerate behaviour eg. not using mobile phones in the dining room (although if my memory serves me correctly, it was that no electonic devices at all were allowed in the dining room). The room had little notices about the shower gel, the shower, the sherry etc. In the room there was also an information book which contained all sorts of rules - they were generally rather verbose and almost seemed like a bit of a rant, eg. do not ask for glasses from the bar to consume drinks (in your room) that you have purchased elsewhere because of the cost of washing them up afterwards and how it affects their profits etc. Please make sure that you take all your belongings when you leave - seems like a reasonable request, but it then went on to say that they wouldn't send it back to the owner and described an event where someone had left a ring behind etc. etc. They just went on and on and all seemed to have a bitter tone about them. (Even the terms and conditions at the point of booking covered a side of A4). Like I say, most were reasonable requests, but they either didn't need saying or could have been put in a more polite/succint manner. In the 25+ years that I have been travelling, I have never experienced anything quite like it. Further examples are present on this website in the form of responses to anyone that has critisised this hotel.

Check out was equally as frosty and we were glad to leave. I should have said something at check out, but I just wanted to go. I received a standard e-mail following my visit asking me to leave a review on Trip Advisor if I had enjoyed my stay. Even though I didn't enjoy my stay, I still felt compelled to leave a review.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
16 Thank MoschopsUK
OakBankHotel, Owner at Oak Bank Hotel, responded to this review, 18 May 2013
Wow! Our first ‘poor’ after six years at Oak Bank, even though ‘the food was amazing’! ‘moschops’ openly admits twice about the ‘rules/notices’ as she calls them that ‘most of them were quite reasonable and what I would describe as polite or considerate behaviour’. This review and our guest information comes down to different people, different humour and different morals. There is a comment about a ring in our guest information, it’s a little anecdote, some people do find it funny. However, it doesn’t say anything about it affecting our profits in relation to glasses and drinks and It doesn’t say we won’t send left items back either! We do. There is a note about the shower in the bathroom as some guests didn’t realise how to work it; there is a note about the luxury full size Bath House products as without one sometimes, as has happened before we put notes by them, they did go missing and there isn’t a note about the sherry? Are we original in all this? No not at all. However, it has led us to review our guest information and edit some items, so removing the anecdotes! Some items will remain, as although ‘moschops’ has told us that her friends would consider her an ultra-conformist, others would be the opposite and say it didn’t say I couldn’t so I did! This aside we don’t force anyone to read the guest information, the choice is yours!

We are surprised that ‘moschops’ found us curt and abrupt as we aim to treat everyone the same – if someone isn’t pleasant with us it is definitely harder to be pleasant back but we do try, so with the comments about being polite and jovial we really don’t understand, if that is how they felt then we are truly sorry. We wish they had said something at the time if that’s how they felt, as we really do think they have misunderstood us. We are at a loss to know what went wrong, but seven months on from the stay to posting the review, we are going to struggle to ever know. ‘moschops’ says they would come back for the food alone – so we have suggested in an email that they do come back in the future to see if they are happier.

Simon Wood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

fabulous, perfect weekend. simon and glenys the very best hosts. if you go anywhere else you are missing out on the best food and accomodation. the accorn suite second to none. anne and jim martin east kilbride.

1 Thank anne m
Hope Valley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

Stayed for 4 nights with two friends. How anybody can stay here and eat elsewhere is amazing, because the food and service at Oak Bank is without a doubt A1. It was helpful to travel up in two cars as when the Hotel is busy you have to double park because parking space is limited but what you lose here you gain on the food, service and attention.

Room Tip: Location excellent but small car Park
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

This was our first hotel stay with our 15 month old baby and I was looking forward to it and dreading it as I expected her to scream the place down/ cry all night and even prevent us from eating the included dinner some evenings. Instead she was lavished with attention and fuss and was even taken of our hands so we could enjoy our main course in peace. One night when she had had enough they even brought dessert up to our room so our monster could nibble my cheese board. Deciding what to eat at dinner was a serious deliberation, if I could of stayed longer to try all the meals I would of. The menu was extraordinary and every bite full of flavours and taste. I am no expert but I KNOW it was that good! Our hosts were lovely the service made you feel like a lottery winner and the room was a comfy warm delight. Also for those with children you could pop 50 yards to the right of the building to tire the little one out at the lovely park, stroll though the village with all its shops and cafes or hop on the bus and abandon the car to get everywhere! A perfect stay!! Forgot to mention sherry nightcap was delicious!! We never got around to trying the leisure facilities, to much to do!

Room Tip: Our room was against the road but it was very quiet and sunny and the little one loved the window se...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Jenny S
Lancs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2013

Second visit to this hotel stayed 2 nights this time - Rooms are clean and well presented, albeit you will find better else where - at a price!
Owners are very hands on and offer brilliant service.

Last year we stayed at the hotel next door - The Grasmere - great experience, I understand the hotel has now refurbished most of their bedrooms. However if you like food - THIS IS THE PLACE - 4 Courses brilliantly presented - better than much more expensive hotels I have stayed - can't understand why anybody would want to book here for bed & breakfast only?

Couple of nice comfortable lounges with real fires - drinks reasonably priced.

Only downside was the noise of the central heating pipes in our room during the night, we understand the hotel will be replacing the whole system this year.

We normally like to try different hotels, so it is rare that we return to the same one - this place is the exception.

Room Tip: The basic standard rooms are good enough
Skipton, NORTH yORKS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

Located in the centre of Grasmere, this hotel provides very comfortable accommodation and excellent food.We stayed in a standard room for two nights with our dog, who was made to feel welcome. They have 2 rooms available to stay with a dog.
The staff were friendly and attentive, and the dining experience was fabulous. Wines were reasonably priced. We also loved the complimentary sherry in our room. Some very nice touches.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2013

A well run hotel with excellent service and impressive food. Meals are good value for the quality of the food. Lovely open fire in the lounge. Very comfy bed. Situated on the edge of Grasmere village, with nice views.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,138 reviews
Overwater Hall
Overwater Hall
#1 of 1 in Ireby

Been to Oak Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!