“Superb cosy hotel in Grasmere”
Review of Oak Bank Hotel

and 1 more site!
Oak Bank Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Grasmere, United Kingdom
“Superb cosy hotel in Grasmere”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

We stayed at the Oak Bank recently for two nights. Our bedroom at the back not only had a lovely quiet garden aspect, but was beautifully furnished and had a state-of-the-art new bathroom. To my astonishment the 6 ft wide divan bed contained two new Vi-Spring mattresses which meant the best night's sleep we ever had in a hotel.

Dining was a pleasure in their attractive conservatory dining room - evening meals proper gourmet food and breakfast delicious. All served quickly and with charming personal attention. The owners are in attendance and we congratulate them.

We shall be back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I have just returned from the Oak Bank Hotel after a couple of night's stay with my oldest friend. We met half way - her from Sheffield and me from Glasgow - and couldn't have chosen a better place.
The setting is amazing and the staff in the hotel are so friendly and welcoming. The absolute star of the show, though, is the food at this hotel. Most of the reviews do say the food is excellent but it was even better than I expected and, in my opinion, deserves more the AA 2 Star Rating it currently has. Also, dare I say it, I think it should be charged at a higher rate!!
There are some negative reviews for this hotel to which the owners are, quite rightly, defensive in their response. While people will and should always have their opinion to give, it seems to me that Glynis and Simon are very passionate about their hotel and the vision that they are trying to make reality. I own my own business and know how many hours it takes and how much personal sacrifice there is so, while there are a couple of things around the edges that possibly could be improved, the main boxes are definitely ticked (some twice!) and I have no doubt that there will be many a satisfied customer will stay at and return to this hotel.
Overall, excellent value for money!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank EOGlasgow2013
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 September 2013

My friend and I had a wonderful time here, we couldn't fault anything. The food was amazing, we looked forward to every meal which was a real treat. The staff went out of their way to please and all the little extra touches made our stay very special. Look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had stayed in Ambleside the night before and wished we had followed our hearts to Grasmere. Grasmere is so chilled out and the Oak Bank Hotel matches this attitude. Really easy comfortable environment, staff are really down to earth, our room (just the standard) was just right and had a great view, food is awesome. Have been to a few starred restaurants and this one really deserves a star or two. Good selection of wine too. Usually book a cottage in Grasmere, but for a short notice break, without doubt I will be returning to stay and I will be going back for dinner

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Great hospitality in a beautiful setting. Simon and Glyniss couldn not have been more accomodating. The rooms were very comfortable. The food was incredibly good. Great wine selection too.
We had a wonderful time and recommend Oak Bank enthusiastically!

Room Tip: in the front are great views of the fells
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Gerrit D
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2013

1. Location in very charming Grasmere.
2. It's near the bus stop; you don't need a car.
3. Tourists disappear around 5 p.m. so it's quiet.
4. The hotel restaurant is in a beautiful, light filled conservatory.
5.The chef prepares creative, delicious dinners.
6. Several choices for breakfast prepared from high quality, locally sourced foods.
7. The staff are friendly and helpful.
8. Comfortable beds.
9. Modern bathroom with shower/tub.
10. It's clean.

Room Tip: Room #4 is the largest of the superior rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pstewartist
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This is a beautiful small hotel. The food was exquisite. The best food me and my partner have ever eaten. Each course consisted of many elements and the presentation of the food was simply brilliant. The homemade bread and butter was great, my favourite was the seaweed butter. I had never eaten here before but will be returning again.
Cheap price for the standard of service and food.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Daskew92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#7 of 14 in Grasmere
The Lancrigg Hotel
The Lancrigg Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Oak Bank Hotel? Share your experiences!