The Red Lion is ideally situated in the heart of Grasmere and an ideal base for exploring the village. I was in a party of 16 and we paid £280 for 2 nights with one including evening meal. A little over priced for what you get.
Parking is available although limited.
The staff are extremely helpful and the manager is very hands on and also friendly. The overall decor is dated and the hotel is in need of a complete makeover like yesterday.
Leisure facilities are ok - the pool is probably the highlight... as for the exercise machines and weights... well i could probably count whats available on one hand. Very few machines in a very small space.
The bedrooms are typically standard of a hotel, nothing sparkling, curtains, carpets and betting need a transformation. The jacuzzi baths do make up for what the rooms lack in style. Its a bit of a squeeze for two in a bath job !!
The bar prices are reasonable and the food is very good for the star rating of the hotel.Pheasant was particularly nice. Beware though when we were drinking in the hotel bar on the first night it remained open until we had finished; however the second night we ate out and upon returning to the hotel at 11.15pm we found that the bar had closed and would not reopen. NO NIGHT PORTER FACILITIES EITHER. The manager was tracked down who did provide us with one round of drinks (at normal price)... but that was it for our Saturday night holiday.. Midnight and the hotel was virtually closed down for the evening. The Lamb Inn next door was also closed............ Sticking to the old out of date licencing hours to the letter of the law :(
Overall the company I was with made the holiday.. not the hotel.....dont think I will be returning...........
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For a taste of luxury in the glorious heart of lakeland. Set deep in the heart of Wordsworth country, our privately owned Lake District Hotel, traditionally an historic inn playing host to travellers for centuries, offers you a warm, genuinely hospitable welcome that makes you feel instantly at ease and at home as soon as you step through the door. Idyllically situated right in the centre of Grasmere, with magnificent views of the hills all around, you can enjoy being part of village life one minute and the next, be miles away, with just the fresh Lakeland air and glorious open countryside for company. Here, life is beautiful. As you would expect from the long traditions, our service is friendly and attentive, the atmosphere relaxed and easy where you can enjoy a board game or two in the air-conditioned lounge area or browse the papers, while from the conservatory you can gaze at the ever-changing Lake District landscape. At our luxury Lakeland Hotel we provide you with all you could wish for - richly furnished, beautifully appointed bedrooms, an excellent choice of food, a gorgeous indoor heated pool with spa bath, steam room, sauna and fitness room. For centuries the hotel has been a haven for travellers, with tasty fare, great ales and warm hospitality. Today we pride ourselves in offering traditional food in harmony with modern cooking. Enjoy a cosy and relaxing atmosphere in the snug Lamb Inn with a pint of hand-pulled traditional beer and a tasty bar meal to satisfy even the heartiest of appetites. Dine in splendor in our 1769 Restaurant with our table d'hote dinner menu offered every evening, where the menu is depicted by the seasons and the fresh produce available. Our Chef will cater for any dietary requirements and is always happy to cook your favourite dishes (with a little notice of course). The Easedale Bar, The Glass House Conservatory and Helvellyn Lounge offer a comfortable spot to watch the world go by, enjoy a scrumptious snack at lunchtime or a spot of afternoon tea. We provide you with all you could wish for. Richly furnished, beautifully appointed rooms in which to unwind, most with sparkling spa baths to ease tired limbs after a wonderful day's walk. And friendly service to bring you a refreshment, while you drink in the Lakeland panorama. All rooms have en-suite facilities, television with satellite channels, wi-fi, CD player, ipod docking station, a welcome refreshment tray, direct dial telephone, hairdryer and trouser press. Our Club rooms feature separate comfy seating areas with television, bathrobes, slippers, complimentary bottled water and daily newspaper. The view from these rooms is of the village and the lush green fields beyond. Some of our rooms enjoy small balconies where you can sit and enjoy a relaxing drink, read a book or simply take in the view. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your The Inn at Grasmere reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Lion Grasmere
- Best Western Grasmere Hotel
- Grasmere Red Lion
- Grasmere Best Western
- The Inn At Grasmere Lake District