“Wonderful Grasmere”

Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Grasmere”
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We have now stayed twice in Grasmere and both times we stayed in thee Red Lion Hotel. Very relaxing and cosy atmosphere and we both found it very difficult to fault.
We will definately stay there again and hopefully it's not in the too distant future.
Breakfast and Bar Meals were very good and the staff were welcoming and friendly.
Would recommend this hotel and the lakeland village of Grasmere to anyone.
John and Theresa Aberdeen

Room Tip: Any room is recommended.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
York
Reviewed 13 June 2014

My partner and I have visited the Red lion many time, so decided to take my parents for the first time. Had a fantastic stay. They put us in rooms next to each other, service has improved, had a great stay thank you. You have gained two new visitors. Keep it up now you have a new owner.

Room Tip: Top floor. Excellent views.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Wigan
Reviewed 13 June 2014

When we arrived we were told we had a room upgrade which was a great way to start. Staff were friendly and polite, room was lovely spar facilities good and the Lamb Inn next joining serves great food. All in all a lovely stay and we look forward to returning very soon

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Lovely hotel, excellent location, excellent food, fantastic base for leaving the car and exploring Grasmere and beyond by foot. Swimming pool an added bonus after a long days walk. The adjoning Lamb Inn serves fab food for your evening meal too.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here to celebrate my partners birthday and were not disappointed

Location
You could not want a more central location right in the middle of the pretty grasmere village. Loads of fell walks and low level walks available from the door and an excellent bus service which runs hourly to all the villages on the A591

Rooms
Our room was clean and practical with the bonus of a full size bath ( and shower) to soak in after a day on the fells . Unlike other hotels we have stayed in there is plenty of hot water which is lovely and piping hot. TV, coffee making, proper size wardrobe and comfy full size double bed. Also a bonus is they are dog friendly and do not make any fuss when we returned from a day on the fells with our cocker spaniel.

We treated ourself to dinner bed and breakfast and enjoyed a lovely breakfast every day . The breakfast menu was very varied from full English, vegatarian , fish, cereals, fruit and a plentiful supply of tea coffee and toast. Restaurant staff were superb especially Zoltan and Tom who looked after us throughout our stay fantastically. Evening meal was a true feast of 5 courses and it was difficult to choose from a wide array of sumptuous meals - all very good, well cooked and presented with real attention to detail.

The lamb inn which is attacked to the hotel served food across the day for those wanting pub grub. The drinks in the pub were reasonably priced but a very limited number of beers and not a real ale to be found which was disappointing.

As a base to explore the local areas or get into the fells you could not want more - highly recommended.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
North Sea
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I read the reviews as I always do, nothing was mentioned about the breakfast or cleanliness which is what we found an issue with. We have always stayed at the Best Western Salutation in Ambleside. The Salutation is around 150 pounds more than the Red Lion for 3 nights Bed and Breakfast, even though I believe they are supposed to be the same star rated hotel, but what a difference. The salutation stands out by a country mile, especially in cleanliness and the breakfast. Firstly, our room was 303 and we stayed from the 25th May-28th May. My wife, god bless her needed the toilet after a 2 hour drive and straight away she said that it was very dusty around the toilet roll holder, a weeks worth of build up at least. I turned on the TV and as I went for the remote, I observed that the TV was also covered in thick dust, again, at least a weeks worth. I then opened the balcony doors to look at the view, which was amazing, only to see a bent table (photo attached), nothing could be placed on this table without falling to the floor! later on I noticed that 90% of the balconies had a bent/damaged table because at first I thought it was maybe my eyes...We are not serial complainers, but things were starting to build up, I work away and my wife is a teacher, the lakes is our stress reliever, we started to wonder what was next!
My wife then had a shower, after a minute she called me into the bathroom, the bath was a quarter full, bare in mind the plug was not in and only the shower was running, obviously the plug or pipes were probably full of who knows what and with the cleanliness issues building up, all sorts of things went through our heads. We could have asked for a room change and I am sure they would have moved us, but as soon as we opened the room door, we did a quick check and unpacked, to pack again would have made us more irritated, we just wanted to get on with our break. The next morning we were up and ready for a good breakfast and a long 6 mile walk...We were placed upstairs as it was very busy, It took 25 minutes for our coffee/tea to arrive, my wife without tea 1st thing in the morning is not a pretty sight, the worst was still to come, I had asked for haddock and poached eggs, it had taken that long, 40 minutes, that when the overworked waiter came up the stairs holding the plate I thought it was mine, it wasn't it was someone who arrived 15 minutes AFTER us, no waiting staff took notes and the tables didn't have numbers on, people were getting served well out of sync. I started to eat the other tables fish or was it their table, being an ex chef, i knew that it was raw and so was the poached eggs!! I asked for the waiter and he arranged for another and guess what, that was also raw...That was it for our 1st breakfast. We then went to reception and after several hours we got hold of the manager, he was busy and had been working split shifts. I took the mickey out of him as well as he looked like he was going to sing in the bar, but he was very pleasant, he explained that the chef had not turned in that morning and it had escalated from there..he said they would knock something off at the end of our stay. The next morning we attempted another breakfast, I ordered scrambled eggs (rock hard) and bacon which was like cardboard, my wife ordered poached eggs and again rock hard. That did it for us and on our last morning we stayed in our room.

Regarding the cleaning, if we had conducted a thorough check and after the initial problems, maybe we should have, I am sure we would have found a lot more problems. I know the cleaners only have a set time in a morning to give it a clean when you are either going down for breakfast or out for an early walk, but not when the room is fully vacated. There is, in my opinion no excuse for week old dust, especially when it is in front of your face, bearing in mind we were paying 103 pounds a night, basic standards are not being met. For that amount of money, rooms should be checked after the cleaners have supposedly done their job. Our room was not clean on arrival and cleaned when we went for a walk. We would have our bed made but my wifes coffee mug would still be left dirty from the night before with my wine glass.

I also agree with the majority of the recent reviews in saying that it needs a lot of TLC. The pool area needs an update, the bottom of the columns were rotting and desperately need a re-paint, the ceiling lights were 50% out, The balcony furniture is embarrassing, do they have an handyman who carries out a weekly check?

We would have eaten in the restaurant, but the breakfast had really put us off, so at night we went to Eva's directly across the road and it was excellent, just be prepared to book. In my opinion the only positives are the staff who are always smiling and try to be really helpful, the steam room and the view. The gulf in class between the Salutation and The red Lion is massive, I did a review of the Salutation a year or so ago with all positives, stating that it was the best UK breakfast we had ever had in an Hotel, sadly the red lion is a million miles away which is a shame as it has the best views.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Magoo007
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed in the small, peaceful village of Grasmere for an early Spring walking break. There are lots of coaches and trippers during the day but, come the evening, peace reigns. The hotel is central (it takes up one aspect of the village centre) and the room was comfortable with a small balcony overlooking rooftops and the glorious hills beyond. Good public seating areas. We tried to eat in on first evening, but left after overhearing from two nearby tables that food was cold and had been sent back. Several good eating places round the corner, though, with a warm welcome and real ale. The indoor pool was a disaster. Changing room cold and draughty, and chilly water. The hotel was popular with older couples and no one else was daft enough to attempt a swim.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends