“3 lovely nights”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne
“3 lovely nights”
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I stayed for 3 nights in early august. We loved it, it was peaceful and quiet just as we felt a lakes district hostel should be. Was very clean tidy and homey and shower always hot! Breakfast was simple unless you wanted to upgrade but all you really needed. My friend was gluten intolerant and they provided gf toast and remembered every day. Fantastic guest kitchen facilities available. Only down was very squeaky and unfortunately not overly comfortable beds

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I booked this hostel in January for a one night stay in July. The hostel is situated in a beautiful spot and we enjoyed the walk down on the Coast to Coast to the hostel's doorstep. The staff are helpful and friendly and they had a good choice of beers and ciders. The food was pleasant. My disappointment arose with the room we were given. I was traveling with three friends and I understood that I had booked a mixed room for the four of us. I was very unhappy to find that we had been put in a six bed dorm with two other men. When I questioned this I was told that this was the only room available. I later found out that the new annexe has four, four bed dorms and I am perplexed as to why we weren't put in one of these as I had booked way back in January. I also found out that we had to pay more for a room in the main house despite having to share with strangers and having access to only one shower, which, in the case of the ladies was flooded by the time I got to use it which meant that I had my feet in everyone elses soap and hair. The flooding was reported. As mentioned in many other reviews, the bunkbeds were very noisy which lead to a disturbed night for myself and my companions. This hostel has a lot going for it but I have been left with the feeling of having been charaged too much for too little. We spent the previous night at the Borrowdale YHA and paid less for good basic facilities and food.

Room Tip: If I was to book this hostel again I would insist on a room in the new annexe where the rooms are ch...
3 Thank Annie B
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Thorney How is a relaxing place to stay - just far enough from Grasmere village for quiet and seclusion, and near enough to be handy after a day on the fells or a night in the pub.
There is attention to detail throughout. Very clean and well cared for, and helpful staff. Movie night on a regular basis, and fantastic restaurant standard meals. Great garden to chill out in, with views of tomorrows walk!!
I highly recommend Thorney How.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
digitaylor, Owner at Thorney How, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi Skyewalker1

So glad that you enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to write a review, we appreciate it a lot.

Kind regards

Taylor & Carolyn, Owners.
Manchester
Reviewed 27 July 2014

A lovely clean and homely hostel with very nice staff in a beautiful location. Only £1.75 to upgrade breakfast to include a double bacon and fried egg sandwich - delicious. Don't bother eating out in Grasmere, the two courses for £13.50 dinner was at gastro pub standard. Also a small, but very well stocked bar. Ideal for walkers and families. Thank you for a lovely stay.

digitaylor, Owner at Thorney How, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Hi thefamilygilbert
That's great to hear that you all enjoyed yourselves, the food and our bar. We do try to only utilise and stock local produce, this extends to both our catering and our bar. Happily the Lake District is blessed with some excellent small independent breweries and beers which we are very proud to make available to our guests! Your good health :-)
sunderland, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Thorney how is set in a fantastic location.accommodation is great considering the amount you pay and the staff are very friendly and helpful.If you are on a budget and want to stay in the Grasmere area then look no further than the Thorney how.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
digitaylor, Owner at Thorney How, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi Mike

Kind regards

Taylor & Carolyn, Owners.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 July 2014

I stayed in this hostel with my nephew when we were walking the Coast to Coast path last week.
This is really one of the very best hostels I've ever been in. Super friendly staff, good food, a well equipped bar, fantastic showers and washing facilities... a dream for walkers (and others)!
True, we were lucky to have a 4 bed dorm for the two of us. And true as well, you don't expect hotel beds in an accommodation like this. But apart from this: a great hostel indeed!
One minor "negative" point: the hostel lies some 15-20 minutes away from the center of Grasmere.

1 Thank Jef-myriam
digitaylor, Owner at Thorney How, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Hi Jef-myriam

Thank you so much for your super positive contribution. We're very glad that you enjoyed your stay, our hospitality and facilities here at Thorney How. True we are 15 minutes from the centre of Grasmere, we find that is also one of the pleasurable benefits in escaping from a busy tourist hub to the peaceful tranquility found in our grounds. The relatively short walk is always a joy and can be varied over the course of a coupe of days to explore new parts of the local area. We hope to see you again soon.
Devon
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I stayed here recently with four friends whilst we were walking the Coast to Coast trail. Everything seemed fine on arrival but, unfortunately, we had booked the same night as a stag party. They were very noisy until about 1 am. We complained in the morning and were told the warden had asked them to be quiet twice without success. It was unusual in a hostel where the guests are normally so active during the day that they are glad to go to bed at 23:00 - normal lights out time.
We were in a four bed room comprising two sets of wooden bunks. Unfortunately every time one of us moved we disturbed the others because the bunks squeaked so much. This was mentioned to the warden and it is a problem they are trying to deal with. The women's wash room and the toilet was a considerable distance from our room - along a corridor, through a door, up a flight of stairs and along another corridor. We did not have a restful night.
Finally we thought the breakfast was poor. There was a very poor selection of just three cereals and we then had rubbery scrambled eggs on white toast without being given the option of having brown.
I would like to say thank you to the warden who confronted the stag party the next morning with our complaint. They were repentant and agreed to refund some of the cost of our stay - a nice gesture which was appreciated. However I think we would choose a standard B&B if we stayed in Grasmere again.

Room Tip: Avoid the wooden bunks!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank DevonRollers
digitaylor, Owner at Thorney How, responded to this review, 5 July 2014
Hi Ruth

We have already apologized to you in full with regards to your main comments and arranged compensation for your costs in lieu of your restless night. I'm happy to hear that this was appreciated.

I'm not really sure what happened about the scrambled eggs. I don't think we have ever received anything but praise for these normally so I can only assume that the chef also having had a poor night's sleep and was not on form.

As a more general comment as we said to you it is not our policy to encourage stag / hen do's. As a mid sized rural hostel close to the great outdoors we naturally have a lot of bookings from cyclists, swimmers, kayakers, runners, climbers and walkers. Many of these are quite large groups. We twigged that this group was in fact a stag do, but too late to cancel the booking. Despite requiring the group to agree, sign and submit a substantial security deposit against our terms and conditions it transpired that this group were sadly not interested in the welfare of our other guests, a poor reflection on themselves as a group of mature surgeons. They proceeded to cause distress to yourselves and not least to my staff in the early hours of the morning despite our repeated requests to retire quietly.

This is the first occasion that we have experienced a problem such as this. We feel that we dealt with the situation in the only way that we could. Our full terms and conditions can be downloaded from our website and are referred to in all booking correspondence with our guests.

Fortunately we rarely have to address issues arising from these and Thorney How is seen as a quiet, relaxing location that offers great food and a good night's sleep by the vast majority of travelers who stay here. As a service to Coast to Coast walkers we do also offer a single night stay at the weekend and we trust that other travelers will continue to choose us for good reason.