“Excellent”

Courtyard Restaurant at Red Lion Hotel
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We only ate breakfast in the Courtyard Restaurant, and found it a a bit cramped, because of the number of tables, but the service, range and quality of food was excellent

Visited May 2013
ChrisManager, General Manager at Courtyard Restaurant at Red Lion Hotel, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the great feedback. It is very rewarding for the team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Preston, United Kingdom
“wonderful experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

The service was warm and professional. Attention to detail, timing between courses are at your request. Food flavoursome and high standard. Served thoughtfully.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank bruceandjackie
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for the great feedback. It is very rewarding for the team.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

Penrith, United Kingdom
“Will not be returning”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

My family and I went for lunch with my parents in law who were booked into the Red Lion for a week. Parking was impossible, there were spaces at the front of the hotel but we were informed that we were not allowed to park there,My husband moved the car to a 1hour parking place but in the mean time his lunch arrived and got cold. My parents in law did have a parking space which they had booked in advance at an extra cost.
The food arrived and it was poor pub grub served up on chipped plates, everything was overcooked, especially a rare steak which was nearly well done., it wasn't worth complaining because we didn't have much time left to eat and get back to the car.
We visit the area a lot on business but will not be giving them our custom again.

3 Thank stormywaters1
Dear Guest,

Your have place your feedback in the wrong area, this is the restaurant not the pub.

And also you family did not pay for parking, as our parking is free to our hotel guests.

Thanks

Manchester
“The Courtyard Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2012

My wife and I ate stayed at the Red Lion almost 5 years ago and had a lovely weekend.  We were staying in Grasmere for the New Year (not at the hotel) and wanted to visit the Courtyard Restaurant for evening meal.

I am sorry to say the intervening 5 years have not been kind.  The whole experience was very disappointing.  The menu was really limited and did not reflect the use of locally sourced products.  It's not often I am struggling to choose but from the set menu I had very little to go at.

I suspect the menu was a victim of the time of year but does anyone on the 30th December really want to be eating more Turkey???!  The last time we came there was a real variety on offer but not this visit.

The menu offered very little flexibility if one didn't want the full 5 courses.  My wife just wanted a main and dessert but it was not clear from the menu how much and even if this was possible.  Based on what was on offer all the food we got was well cooked if a bit plain and the portions were generous.

The lack of creativity on the plate can often be offset with a bit zip front of house but sadly this was even more disappointing than the food.

The wine we ordered was wrong and it's seems that the Red Lion have dispensed with traditional ice buckets and instead started using the 'cool bag'.  Conveniently, the hotel management have left the instructions on the bags but it seems the waiters/waitresses have not got round to reading them.  The bag was brought to the table with just water in it and no ice.  We were told by the waiter that it was a special bag which will keep the wine cold.  It wasn't a special bag, it was a plastic bag which allowed the water to warm up and consequently the wine.  If only the time was taken to read the instructions  the customer experience would be improved.

Sadly, my wife's main course was wrong had had to go back.  To be fair here the waitress handled it well but this oversight was inexcusable as there was only one or at the most two more tables in at the time.

Also, when working in food preparation and service it's crucial the aroma of the food is not battling the aroma of the staff.  I am afraid to say the male waiter we had during our visit was not as fresh smelling as he should be.

5 Thank stemanc