“great staff and walks from the doors”

Rothay Garden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
“great staff and walks from the doors”
Reviewed 3 April 2012

having stayed at many hotels in the lakes for a base to go walking and good food after a good day on the fells this as to be the best ample room for parking the staff always there if needed but never over bearing the rooms and ive stayed in many from top to bottom are beautiful power showers in all then the SPA what a beauty the best ive tried in the lakes then the restaurant this place is lovely and food to match breaksfast when ur walking you need it and this place delivers for all diets .

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank ferrow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I can only reiterate all the favourable comments.

Our spacious Grasmere room with balcony and river/fell view was as good as expected, the food was excellent and portion size just right for a 4 course meal including coffee and chocolates. Restaurant is light and airy but feels intimate too. It has lovely views all round, one of the best vistas I have had in the many lakes hotels restaurants have stayed in.

Service was not over friendly but was efficient and the staff are polite so I was very happy. I am sure any problem would be resolved quickly if I had one.

I will definitely return, sooner rather than later.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Wilmslow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2012 via mobile

We had just received some rather upsetting news so we decided on the spur of the moment to spend a weekend in the lakes to cheer ourselves up. We arrived at the Rothay Garden Hotel with no reservation and enquired tentatively about vacancies. We were shown two very attractive rooms by a very polite and attentive young man at the desk and we booked in. The room was perfect with a small balcony overlooking the river. We also thoroughly enjoyed a delicious dinner that night, in a very agreeable restaurant, accompanied by a good bottle of wine chosen from an extensive list.
Breakfast the next morning was perfect too. Don't you just love a full English when your about to spend the day poking about in one of the most beautiful places in these islands of ours?
We left feeling rested and a little pampered and a lot more able to deal with the upsetting news we had received beforehand.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank pipman55
scotland
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I was visiting the hotel with a friend and therefore requested a twin room - which it wasn't! The reception staff dealt with this in a friendly and efficent manner and exceeded our expectations by offering a room each. This meant I had a 6ft bed all to myself. Though we only stopped one night, it was very enjoyable with the spa whisking away the strains of the day's walk. Date of stay 11/3/12

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank delrosa
Ruthin, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We have just enjoyed a weekend break at this very comfortable hotel about 300 yards from the centre of Grasmere. The hotel has been modernised with an elegant restaurant, new spa and sauna and well presented rooms. The staff are well trained, friendly and attentive making this a very relaxing weekend. The restaurant is good but not outstanding, but for the combined DB & B rates was very good value.

• Stayed March 2012
Stirlingshire
Reviewed 4 March 2012

This is a beautiful location and the spa was nice but the restaurant food was disappointing to say the least! I ordered smoked haddock for breakfast and received a tiny piece of undercooked haddock fillet which i couldn't eat. My plate was returned almost full though I managed to eat the poached egg and the dessert spoon of mildly curried rice. Not one of the restaurant staff ever asked us if everything was okay, even when food was returned uneaten! We dared to try the reataurant meal in the evening - a fixed price of £39.50 each for a set menu. The soup was complimentary. It was artickoke with truffle oil and it was served in an expresso cup with a teaspoon!The amount served didn't even reach the top of the tiny cup. We had to stiffle our laughter as the portion size seemed like a joke. The soup itself tasted like cauliflour and dishwater so wouldn't have wanted anymore anyway. The main course was also a ridiculous size portion served with one potato, two asparagus spears and a half a small red onion! I have arthritus in my hands and couldn't cut my steak with the blunt knife so asked the waiter if I could have a steak knife. He looked at me as if I'd asked for something very strange then disappeared for quite a while before coming back to tell me the hotel didn't have any steak knives. I had to endure painful cutting as the knife was as sharp as a teaspoon.The dessert I also couldn't eat. It was supposed to be pistatchio souffle but you you couldn't taste any pistachio, just sugar. Again my plate was returned almost full and again none of the staff asked if everything was okay. I actually told our waitress that the dessert tasted awful and she just smiled and took the plate away. My partner chose to have cheese which dissapointed on taste and this was also a ridiculous size portion. I would not recommend eating there at all.WE went to bed feeling hungry! The hotel is a quality setting but that's all. It cost us £523 for 2 nights bed and breakfast and one evening meal. We travel a lot and can honestly say we've had better cooked food and friendlier staff for half this price. It's not the staff's fault it they cannot converse in English. When paying the bill at the reception I was aked if we'd enjoyed our stay so I yes apart from the near raw fish served up at breakfast. I was told I should have complained at the time but I said I had only the waiter didn't seem to understand. I was informed that only the people in suits can deal with food issues, not the people who served us?! So my fault then for not seeking out someone in a suit! In any event 4* hotels should be proactive in ensuring their guests are happy. Anyway bear that in mind anyone who goes there. We most certainly will not be returning to this over priced hotel. They don't even change the water in the complimetary bottled tap water in your hotel room, nor was the paintwork on our bathroom door clean. No attenion to these small details yet the charges imply that there is.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lirva_200
chester
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Lovely hotel. Good service. Food was excellent, breakfast was amazing!
Didn't drive the car at all for the whole stay- perfect location.
Negatives: Our room was a bit small, and the bedrooms are all too hot! Turn down the heating please. Sauna and steam room was a nice bonus.
We will be back!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jay_ess_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#4 of 14 in Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#10 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Rothay Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!