“Real 4 star quality at a reasonable price”

Rothay Garden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Lincolnshire, England
“Real 4 star quality at a reasonable price”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

This was a Travelzoo offer we took up, booking in March for the beginning of May. It was a 20th anniversary short break and we had no idea whether the place would live up to its descriptor and our hopes. [tip for those booking a travelzoo offer, print off the page from the net at the time because travelzoo take the pages down when the offer closes]. We stayed 2 nights and included were breakfast and 4 course evening meal both nights

I won't spend much time talking about the lake district because it is what it is. Suffice to say that Grasmere is a small village north of Kendall, it is beautifully located and Grasmere as a lake is charming. The village is unsurprisingly commercialised but for the most part, tastefully.

The Rathay Garden appears quite small from the outside, it isn't a high rise but it does spread itself out through gorgeous gardens which will plainly become better as the year goes on. There's plenty of parking and as the brochure says, park near the reception and drop off the bags first then move the car further back in the grounds. It is situated at the quieter end of the village almost on the way out.

The atmosphere of the place is of course down almost entirely to the staff and the staff at the Rathay that we had any contact with ranged from simply good, to Donna in the reception, a well-deserved excellent. She is a fount of knowledge and can even recite the number code for the wi-fi connection without referring to the paperwork. Before I forget, the connection is good with 4 routers spread throughout to give good coverage. There is also direct connection via rj45 cable in the rooms if you want it.

We were lucky in as much as the room we had was one of the 3 Riverside suites which as the name suggests open on to the river that runs by the hotel. They are quite large rooms, mainly because the river end has a sort of conservatory part with a couple of comfy chairs, table and access via French doors to a pebbled terrace.

The internal fittings are good and the bed is comfy, the usual vanity suite, a flat screen TV on the wall -which worked but had only ten minutes of use- a suite of wardrobes, chairs and another table. The bathroom is excellent, all ultra-modern mixer taps and flip levers, a good sized bath which my wife availed herself of and a large shower cubicle and powerful thermostatically controlled shower which is what I like. The toiletries are of high quality, evident high quality. Even the ubiquitous sowing kit was 'quality', as evidenced by having 4 or 5 different coloured threads but EACH with a needle already threaded. I particularly liked the olive oil based soap. Needless to say the whole place was immaculate.

As promised there waiting in the room for us was a bottle of Roederer Cristal champagne chilling in an ice bucket and alongside it a box of 6 exclusive chocolates in their own Rathay Garden box.

Having changed and been for a gentle stroll around the village we went through to the restaurant for our first 4 course a la carte meal. Met by the maître de and escorted to the table we used for the whole of our stay we had a splendid view of the whole garden. The service was as crisp as everything else in the place but as with all else. friendly not cold. I won't do a blow by blow for each and every course but you can tell this place has a master chef. The flavours, food and presentations were excellent, even the bread was a cut above the average. I particularly enjoyed the way they used the fresh herbs in both mains and desert. The only item which I thought was ordinary was the first pre-starter which was billed as a carrot and celeriac soup I think, but really had no evident celeriac flavour at all. Thankfully that was the one and only disappointment of any kind. We had Tournedos of beef, Canon of Lamb, venison, lobster, crayfish and a host of accompaniments, all served with a variety of lovely vegetables and fresh herbs in fantastic flavour combinations. The deserts were every bit as tasty and imaginatively prepared. The Eton mess was an absolute dream. The cheese board was made up of fine locally sourced cheese, I particularly enjoyed the Grandma Singleton’s and the Crofton.

The little things make the difference as to whether a place deserves its full set of stars and breakfast was where some were in evidence. Even something as ordinary as a grilled tomato was made special, they were so sweet showing high quality produce. The fresh fruit was quite apparently fresh and sliced each morning and the orange juice freshly squeezed.

Another facility we made use of was the spa. I normally don't bother with these but my wife bullied me into accompanying her and I have to say it was worth the visit. It would be fair to say that you wouldn't want too many people in there to make it crowded but we were alone so not a problem. There are two saunas which look as if there were room for about 6 in each, 4 infra-red beds, and two kinds of shower from 'cold mountain mist' to the 'warm summer rain' or something like that. Large shower head and side outlets too. The centrepiece was the hydro pool. I loved this. We went in having done a 5 mile yomp around Rydal Water and Grasmere lake that morning and the hydro pool was just what was required. With those pummel beds and a Jacuzzi portion as well as two different pummel jets it was really relaxing. We sat there and watched through the windows as a mother mallard and her 11 ducklings bimbled about the river; in the other direction the gardens were the view. [Tip. the hydro pool might not be the best place to go if you plan another walk later. I was so relaxed it took me half an hour of walking before I finally woke up]

Having had to query the odd bill at various places in the past I was pleased to see that the only extra that the Rathay added was the 50p for the mountain rescue service, which I was of course only too pleased to accept.

All in all my wife and I immensely enjoyed this 2 day break at this lovely hotel. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Don't forget bathing costumes for the spa!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jake6257

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I have just come back from a 2 night stay here and would recommend it to anyone! Great staff, great location, wonderful room and food and the spa is just great. What also really impressed me is we went on a Living Social deal so had a discounted room however we were still given a lovely room and really good treatment - none of the "cheap seats" feeling you get with some hotels. Little things also really impressed me; we didn't finish our wine on the first night and were amazed to be offered it on the second night. We have already told our inlaws to get saving, it's not cheap but it is a very good quality hotel and the rates include their excellent dinner!

Room Tip: We stayed in Butter Crag which was lovely!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Di M
Yarm, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Just returned from a weekend at the Rothay Garden. What a lovely Hotel high quality accomodation and food. Good staff very helpful and freindly. The spa was wonderful just what you need to relax your aching body after a hard day walking the Lakes. (so if you go don't forget your bathing costume. Hotel is about 5 min walk from the centre of Grasmere. Food was excellent, had dificulty picking from menu as they all sounded good. We were able to find lots of walks from the door. expensive but we will be back, will watch out for deals.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2012

My husband and I had a very pleasant stay at Rothay Garden. The location is beautiful. Within easy walking distance of Grasmere yet still away from the crowds. We received a warm and friendly welcome.The highlight of the stay was the evening meal. Having experienced several Michelin Starred establishments, I must congratuate Andrew Burton for the standards he achieves at Rothay Garden. The service was very smooth. The icing on the cake was the spa.
Yes I would definitely return and recommend to others.

Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Just celebrated my 50 th birthday with husband and best friends, their gift to me. I can not speak highly enough of the Rothay Garden.Lovely staff, beautifully clean and excellent food. We will definately return.

Glasgow, Scotland
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We had a small suite with a sitting area, a bath and a two person shower. The bed was a king size and very comfortable. The hotel was excellent but the food was exceptionally good. Dinner was not cheap at £40 per person for dinner but the standard was very high. I had venison and it was beautiful. Breakfast too was freshly cooked with a wide variety of choices beyond the usual fry up. Grasmere is however very small and you could walk around it in 20 minutes or so. Most people there were serious walkers unlike us. The hotel and food were great and the area would suit those who enjoy the great outdooors.

london
Reviewed 17 April 2012

The hotel is in a wonderful location with the back rooms looking over a stream to the hills behind, the peace broken only by the relaxing noise of the water. The room was good and not bad value on a B&B basis; the bathroom suffered only from a jacuzzi which did not work (we did not care about that) and dirty grouting in those areas of the bathroom which only the user can see (ie sitting in the bath). The spa was very pleasant, especially after 730pm when the heavy users wander off for dinner. I am sure the dinner is good but a formal and long meal is not ideal with youngish children, and the options in the room or perched in the lobby bar were not ideal, so the reception helpfully recommended an excellent local alternative. What spoilt the visit was the dour welcome, and beyond. Front office staff were helpful but it should not be the job of the client to cheer them up; the male staff in the breakfast room were much better. Perhaps it is a problem of the Lake District, with too much demand and not enough supply. It was pretty amazing to see the local council install Pay-on-display terminals in laybys. The contrast with further north is dramatic, particularly in the central highlands of Scotland. Frankly, the scenery is better and the welcome what it should be, so I would recommend any visitor be brave and head north. That was why Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank r b
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
#4 of 14 in Grasmere
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#10 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Rothay Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!