“Perfect chillout”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Perfect chillout”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

Excellent middle sized hotel a stones throw from Grasmere village with lovely views. We stayed in a river suite beaufiful french windows onto river an fell view. We loved the small but perfect spa also food good will stay again

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bee240662

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Chilterns
Reviewed 26 May 2012

My wife and I have just returned from a seven night's DBB at the Rothay Garden. It was our first visit to this hotel although we have stayed at several locations in the Lake District over the last 20 years.
The hotel is a short distance from the centre of Grasmere and looks and feels like a modern building although some parts are clearly older. There is a separate Spa and a modern conservatory restaurant. The lounges are not large but just about big enough. We did not use the Spa but it seemed to be popular although some guests would have preferred an indoor pool.
The garden is not as large as expected and has no special attraction. The Spa building has taken the best position beside the river.There are no particular views from the garden or restaurant both of which are screened by mature trees.
We stayed in a Grasmere room. It was of good size and adequately furnished with king-sized bed and sufficient wardrobe space. Free wi-fi is hard wired. The equally well proportioned bathroom has a large bath (it takes ages to fill) and modern fittings. However the bathroom is poorly lit and has a small basin. Shaving in subdued lighting from a shallow bowl may not suit everyone.
Breakfast was as good as expected and suited us very well. However if your tastes run to cold meats and cheeses you may be disappointed by the lack of these items from the cold buffet.
There was an interesting and varied dinner menu which changes regularly. The vegetarian alternatives also seemed to have variety and interest. The dishes are adventurous without being quirky and what arrives on your plate is exactly as described in the menu. Our only problem with the food was the lack of vegetables. There was a variety of veg but in very small quantities.
There is an interesting and wide ranging wine list but wines by the glass are restricted to those from one single Chilean producer. I tried 2 of the whites and 2 of the reds. The whites did not seem to have the characteristics of the grapes they were from and I cannot recommend them. The reds were satisfactory.
Throughout the week the service was excellent. From the help with cases on arrival and on leaving to the well staffed restaurant at breakfast and dinner.The attention at dinner may make you feel a little rushed but nobody will object if you take your time.
We enjoyed our week and have no real complaints but there was no star quality to the experience - nothing remarkable.

3 Thank SilasMarner
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I took my husband to Grasmere for a special birthday and the original hotel that we booked into had not had our internet booking and put us in an awful room. We searched online and booked a special deal at the Rothay Garden. The service was top class and our room was beautiful and we had the added bonus of the Spa. I would definitely return to this hotel and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HilaryGillett
Broadway, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We recently spent a week at the Rothay Garden Hotel for a birthday celebration, along with our 2 Westies. The experience was magical- superb food, welcoming, friendly but at the same time professional service. Nothing seemed to be too much trouble! I can thoroughly recommend the massage- probably the best I have had, infact I had a second one before we left. The ground floor rooms are ideal for dogs as they have doors leading directly outside.
We highly recommend tis hotel and hope to return soon.
Thanks to all the staff who helped make my birthday unforgettable.

1 Thank Joan R
Cumbria
Reviewed 14 May 2012

After such a great weekend (staying for one night only on 11th May 2012) I thought I would HAVE to write a quick review. Coming back and reading some of the poor reviews on here made me all the more determined to write my good review.

Plush hotel, recently refurbished, warm, welcoming, classy but not stuffy.

we arrived at Grasmere at 11am and I went in to ask if we could park the car then come back nearer check in time (3pm) to check in and use the spa. The Deputy Manager checked what room we were going to be in, saw it wasn't used the night before so said we could check in immediately, great!

I wont go into every thing as I'm sure most people are aware of what you get as the norm in a good hotel but I was impressed - even down to the quality of the soap in the bathroom.

Lovely spa, very modern and relaxing.

Excellent dining, good portion sizes for the four courses offered - not too full to eat the dessert - and attentive waiting staff. I didn't realise at the time but it was the hotel manager that was waiting on our table and he was superb.

Excellent wine list.

Two very small things to consider that maybe weren't perfect:
- the in room hair dryer seemed a bit cheap & lacked a bit of power
- the Spa could maybe do with more loungers as there was only 4

All in all, a fantastic short weekend.

As we didn't have any complaints I really can't vouch for how the management deal with any problems that may occur, I would hope they would deal with them in a very professional manner just as they obviously do with all the other (more visible) operations throughout the hotel.

Room Tip: Look on the website to have a good look at the different room sizes and location throughout the hote...
1 Thank Rhona B
Isle of Man
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was our second visit to this lovely hotel, the food is really special. The new spa is so relaxing after a long walk, the views from the spa are spectacular. We would choose a larger room on our next visit as the one we were in was a little cramped for all our walking gear. We would highly recommend a romantic stay here.

Room Tip: I would recommend that you phone the hotel and have them describe the room to you and the location...
1 Thank NatIsleofMan
Hartlepool
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Booked this hotel for a last minute get away, stayed two nights 5th and 6th of May it was just perfect, we took our dog which was no trouble to the staff or any other guest in the hotel. As we had our dog with us we could only stay in one of the ground floor rooms which was just great as they had door leading out to a small court yard perfect when you have a very hot newfoundland dog who loves to lay outside. The Hotel was lovely and clean and very chic and modern staff very welcoming even with a dog the size of a small bear. The spa was great so don't for get your swimwear, ate at hotel the first evening, food lovely very rich though, house champaign was very nice but didn't care for the white house wine thought although that is my individual tast (not smooth enough very sharp) the next morning we decided to have breakfast delivered which was very relaxing they even sent sausages for our dog (amazing). What can I say this was just what was needed a relaxing weekend break in a lovely hotel with wonderful spa facilities where your dog is made to feel welcome and great food. Would certainaly return

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
The Wordsworth Hotel
The Wordsworth Hotel
#8 of 14 in Grasmere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,163 reviews

Been to Rothay Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!