“In my top 3 Lake District hotels”

Rothay Garden Hotel
Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“In my top 3 Lake District hotels”
Reviewed 21 January 2014

What a lovely hotel! My husband and I have just returned from our first stay at the Rothay Garden and hopefully it won't be our last. This hotel is superb. The location, decor, service, food, spa etc are all excellent and made for a really enjoyable stay. There was a slight hiccup with our booking but this resulted in a free upgrade to a loft suite. The room was lovely and spacious with a separate lounge. It was fine for us but if you were particularly tall the low sloping ceilings and beams might be a problem in this room type. On our first night there was very heavy rain which unfortunately meant a disturbed night for me with the noise on the roof and velux windows. The bed was comfortable (but more pillows needed please!) and the local chocolates in the room were very good indeed. The cafetiere coffee was great but unfortunately was not replenished on the second day. All of the meals we had in the restaurant were superb. Dinners were top quality in terms of produce and presentation and it was very relaxing to have coffee and petit fours in the lounge afterwards. Internet access was a bit hit and miss and it would have been nice if this could have been resolved when raised with reception. Overall we had a very nice stay and this is one of my favourite hotels in the Lakes.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

There's no doubting that this is a pretty good hotel. We checked in...both of us only had small bags. The receptionist asked if we needed a hand with the bags. "No...we'll be fine...they're small...we're only here for one night". At this point, she opened a nearby door, shouted for a porter who outflanked us, collected the bags and our room key and made a bee-line for our room. Brilliant. In return for a tip, you get your key. Nice work if you can get it.
Our room...1st floor overlooking the road... was compact but okay, but there was plaster missing from one of the wall areas...a nail head could be clearly seen...and the bed quilt had several splits in the padded stitching. Okay, hardly Earth shattering, but you don't expect that in what is a fairly expensive hotel. The Rydal Broadgate rooms (well ours anyway and very similar to the one on the hotel website) has sloping roof intrusions.
There's no denying the quality of the meals...very tasty and nicely presented....but £39 per head for dinner, £22 for a bottle of house Sauvignon Blanc and £3.50 for some fizzy water is overdoing things. If they lowered the prices slightly, they'd get more people staying for meals.
Coffee is taken in the lounge area. Great staff in the restaurant. Service quick.
The cooked breakfast was really good...included in the price of the room.
We booked through Late Rooms which stipulated a room upgrade if available. This didn't happen even though the hotel didn't seem to be busy..it was a Sunday night. My wife was disappointed with the room...she's stayed there several times. Free wifi worked fine.
Overall, nice hotel, try to go for the a larger room but consider eating in the village if you're not fussed about fine dining...and hang onto your overnight bag too.
Sports fans...if you want to watch footy...go to Tweedies Bar in the village. Good atmosphere and good range of local hand pull beers.

Room Tip: Rydal Broadgate rooms are tight. There are roof intrusions on either side of the window (see picture...
1 Thank Geordie T
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed the weekend between Christmas and New Year - and had a lovely relaxing time. The best feature of this hotel must be the Spa, and we are very surprised how few guests actually use it. The other best feature is the great food. We found the staff alot friendlier on this visit - especially Elliott.
The rooms are well appointed and comfortable, although we didn't sleep very well - possibly because it was quite warm in the room and we did not want to leave the sliding door open as we were on the ground floor. Its a shame such a large bathroom only has a shower - as I prefer to relax in a bath.
It was fascinating to see the river rise overnight after a heavy rainfall.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 on the ground floor - lovely view of the river.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Just back from a 2 day January break. Hotel has been refurbished to a very high standard. We were in room 4 which opens onto the river - would be fantastic in summer. The room was large with an equally large shower room. Can't fault the room and you get lots of complimentary extras. Food was superb and always something interesting on the menu. The spa was very comfortable - big Jacuzzi, enormous sauna and a quiet aromatherapy room.

Staff were great - attentive without being obtrusive.

Grasmere does get busy in the season but is easy to get to from the M6 and allows access to all parts of the Lakes. Short or long walks as you please. The hotel is on the river about 200 metres from the centre of the village. Well worth the money; it really is great for a short relaxing break. Probably our new favourite hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a ground floor, riverside room. No pool or fitness centre but a good spa.
manchester
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have not visited this hotel as I did not make a booking after very incompetent front of house staff gave out incorrect information.
If you look at my reviews you will see I have never had cause to make a complaint about any hotel at all. However!!
I spoke to the hotel last week to get a price for a weekend break for a present. I gave the dates to check availability and was given a price for a special b & b rate to include free dinner.
I rang a couple of days later to be told I could not have that price as it was not for weekends. I had the name of the member of staff I had spoken to but the person on the end of the phone quite frankly did not care. It was my fault I had been given incorrect apparently. I then listened whilst the girl had a conversation with another member of staff. This I found to be very rude and unprofessional.
I then emailed the hotel to complain to basically be called a liar. Aparently when I asked for a price I did not give dates. Ludicrous!!Why would I not check availability first when I was looking for a break only a few days away???

Thank heavens I found out before booking as I dread to think of what sort of a present I would have been gifting!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank tanner.smith
Keighley
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We like to get away to the Lakes at this time of the year when the holiday crowds have ebbed, and thought we would give Grasmere a try. It seems to be a competitive spot for hotels and certainly seems to drive up standards. The Rothay is on the edge of the village next to the river and has been tastefully upgraded in recent years. Our room was stylishly decorated if a touch cramped but the area where the hotel really excelled was the restaurant. A spacious modern extension to the hotel the restaurant is light and airy with plenty of room between the tables. The food matched the surroundings and changed each evening which is always a good sign. We have been visiting the Lakes for several decades and the standard of hotel food there has improved beyond recognition.
The hotel is ideally situated if you want to get out into the fells without moving your car, with lots of local tracks and trails to enjoy.
The only slight quibble with our stay was that the staff seemed a bit gruff but overall a very relaxing stay

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AandTP
Cheshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Visited the Hotel over Christmas and had a superb time! From checking in on Christmas Eve to leaving (Unfortunately!) on the 27th we were made very welcome by Chris and everyone.
Champagne flowed on Christmas Eve and Fabulous menus by the chefs throughout our stay including the amazing Christmas Day seven course Dinner! We even had a visit from Santa again.....!
It just remains for me to say Thanks to all for making out Christmas a special one!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank iocasti
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#10 of 14 in Grasmere
Oak Bank Hotel
Oak Bank Hotel
#4 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to Rothay Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!