All reviewsaromatherapy roomriverside suitebalcony overlooking the riverlangdale roomlake districtlovely hotelpetit fourspatio doorsrelaxing stayhigh standardsmall balconyspa areavenisonhydro poolwine listcourse dinnerground floor
Reviewed 1 March 2010

We thought that the hotel looked lovely from the website, and we were not disappointed. We had the Silver Howe room, really nice but watch for the steeply sloped ceilings, even the not so tall can get a nasty bang on the head. We very much enjoyed our stay but the owner (Chris) was very unpleasant to the couple at the next table when the man mentioned that his wife's white wine was warm. The owner certainly needs to take a course in customer relations. Although we enjoyed the food, we both felt a little disappointed and didn't feel the food quite matched the high price.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HappyTravelled
Reviewed 20 February 2010

We returned here after an enjoyable stay 3 years ago, prior to the refurbishment and we can't fault it at all! The food iwas every bit as wonderful as we remembered it and the rooms and are even better following a very impressive refurbishment of the rooms, reception and bar areas.
It is true what others have said, it is expensive but the rooms have everything you would expect from a top hotel and the food is worth every penny, it is fine dining at it's best. If 5 course, gourmet food is not for you, this is not the place for you. We stayed for 2 nights and every course for both of us was a visual and taste delight. The restaurant is set in two beautiful conservatories and the service is attentive but not pretentious. The people who have complained about the service clearly prefer to be fawned over, we prefer a more discreet approach, they were helpful and always pleased to help when required but left you alone to enjoy the experience for most of the time.
We stayed in the Helm Crag Loft Suite which had wonderful views to the side and back of the hotel. The room was quiet, tasteful and very comfortable - a real treat!
We took full advantage of the perfect setting and did plenty of walking in and around Grasmere and found it a perfect location without having to use the car.
We can't wait to go back again, hopefully in the not too distant future!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank martonians
Reviewed 15 February 2010

The hotel was very modern inside, and the room was very nice and modern with an incredible bathroom (and we were in one of the cheaper "Rydal" rooms).
The breakfast consisted of a wide selection of fruits/cereals along with a basket of homemade croissants/brioche. Then there was a choice of approximately 8 cooked breakfasts to choose from, catering for all dietary needs etc. The evening meals were superb, with a good choice of meals (lots of meat dishes and vegetarian dishes) which again catered for all (with dietary needs etc).
Overall a superb hotel, with friendly staff, great food and beautiful surroundings. Would definitely recommend this to friends!
Although at first it may seem a little pricey, I can guarantee that it is totally worth it!!!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank music1985
Reviewed 12 February 2010

I stayed here with my wife on our way to scotland for one night. We found it very good from when we arrived to when we checked out, so we have booked a long weekend in march. Just worried as we haven't come across the manager yet.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rmdbfn
Reviewed 3 February 2010

Myself and my partner arrived for a romantic weekend away to where we thought would be a lovely hotel!
First impressions were very good. Car park large, gardens well maintained. The hotel interior looked recently refurbished. Check in was swift and we were showed to our room by the manager. The room was nice and spacious, well presented, yet not worth the £198 for 2 nights B&B in my opinion. We went for a drink in the bar. I had to ask reception to come and serve me as there were no bar staff in attendence. We ordered a champagne cocktail and then looked at the wine list. I was shocked to see that a glass of red wine was £10!!!!! We decided that was ridiculous money so we went out for a drink after deciding to book a table in the restaurant that night.
We noticed that there was a dress code so we dutifully dressed smartly and were shown to our table. The atmosphere was awful straight away. You could have heard a pin drop, no background music and we were sat so close to the adjoining table that you had to whisper. When presented with the menu we noticed that it was a set menu for £42-50. I questioned our waiter ( the manager) regarding this as I said we never ate sweets so could we pay for what we ate. His reply was " no its a set menu and that is the price". We then asked one of the stoney faced staff if it was possible to maybe turn up the voulme on the background music to help a little with the silent and frankly uncomfortable atmosphere. We were told that the manager insists that it be at that level. Obviously the man had never dined in there. I ordered a £42 bottle of white wine which came warm, so I had to ask for an ice bucket. I asked for my venison to be medium and it came well done.
We asked to speak to the manager who made us wait an hour, with the restaurant empty before he came striding over and said " you asked to see me, what is your problem". My partner invited him to sit down which he quickly refused obviously looking to be confrontational. The short of it is that he refused to apologise for any of the bad service or poor quality of cusine, telling us that his hotel was full and that, as it was obvious we were not happy and he couldn't please us,perhaps it would be best for us to leave in the morning!!!!!!
I was dumb struck. What kind of service is that. What happened to the customer is right? I told him that we thought the restaurant was overpriced and that it was trying to be something it wasn't. I have stayed all over the world is some of the nicest hotel you could wish for. I have eaten with lords and ladies, even royalty. I do expect a level of service equating to the money paid. I have never experienced such poor value for money nor treated with such disregard as a paying customer in my life. By the manager no less.
My advice is to stay well clear of this overpriced, pretentious, un welcoming, un comfortable hotel run by a manager who regardless of his 18 years experience, is rude, obnoxious and has no idea about customer satisfaction.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple