“Absolutely gorgeous”
Review of The Lancrigg Hotel

The Lancrigg Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I've just spent a wonderful week at Lancrigg and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. First of all is the location; it couldn't be more perfect, right at the foot of Helm Crag and overlooking beautiful countryside. It is incredibly peaceful, having no through traffic and no streetlights. Then there is the food - fantastic, healthy and very tasty. I expected to get a set menu, as I was staying half board, but I got to choose from the al a carte, so there were around seven starter and main courses and every one of them delicious. It made such a difference to eat homemade, fresh, organic and nutritious food every day. I stayed in Nightingale, which was the perfect size room for me - my room was clean and cosy and I'm missing the lovely deep bath already! There was no shortage of very hot water, the room had tea/coffee making facilities as well as a TV with a DVD and video included. I had lovely clean towels and in answer to the critics re room cleaning - there is a sign that you can leave on the door saying that you're out on the fells, so please clean the room, so my room was serviced when I felt it needed to be. The rest of the hotel is gorgeous - lovely 'chill out' lounge with big soft settees, with a marvellous vista, and very nice dining room. Last but certainly not least, everyone made me feel very welcome - I spent some time chatting with Rob about recipes (please send me the Cauliflower and Brocolli soup one!) and Nikki, Anita and Marta couldn't have been more helpful - it's apparent that everyone works very hard to make sure guests are looked after. I came away from my holiday feeling thoroughly relaxed and healthy. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for The Lancrigg Hotel

Reviewed 10 February 2011

My partner and have never written a review before, but felt a need to state what a fantastic place this hotel truly is.
The owner Rob and his staff could not be faulted. The food choice was extensive and truly delicious.
The hotel surroundings and character enabled us instantly relax...in addition to our spa bath!
We loved our stay so much we changed our plans to stay a further night and certainly cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed two night's at this fabulous hotel. Great location, great food, staff were lovely. Our dog loved it. Will definatley go back again.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Amazing place to get away from it all. Beautiful room (the Azalea, a mini suite). Shame about the weather, but it made no difference. The food was 5 star. Even though I am not vegeterian, I think I could quite easily become one after eating here! The location, in it's own grounds with local wildlife, deer, rabbits etc was fantastic. Just the place to get away from it all.
Thine hosts, Robert and Janet, make it feel better than your own home! Even an impromptu classical guitar recital from the waiter!
Will definitely make this hotel a regular haunt. Well done Lancrigg!

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We booked this trip as a special treat for our Christmas break. The package was three nights from the 24th to 27th of December. We were more than spoiled with good company and great, imaginative and good-quality food; greeted with mulled wine and mince pies on the afternoon of arrival was just the beginning. We had champagne breakfast, six-course Christmas Day meal and a splendid buffet in the evening. Everything is vegetarian (vegan options available) and organic, and my partner, a non-vegetarian, said it was some of the best food he'd ever tasted - and there was certainly plenty of it. Fantastic! (Apparently a high proportion of the guests who stay are non-vegetarian but leave - if not converted - more than happy with the delicious fare.)

Our room was in the owners' house, a short walk away from the main hotel, through a charming, wood, which added much to the romantic time, especially when we woke up on Boxing Day to find there was fresh snow lying on the ground.

Our break at Lancrigg was all so much better than we expected and the good company of the other guests was excellent. It felt for us as though we arrived as strangers and left as friends. Hopefully we can repeat the good experience again this coming Christmas and want to give a big thank you to Robert and Janet and their brilliant staff, and son Michael, who all looked after us so well in that very special time of year.

Many thanks again and we definitely will be back again sometime soon.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear CaptainZ
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this great review and we are very happy to hear that you both enjoyed so many aspects of your stay at Kitty Crag - also that it was all so better than you dared hope from reading the various reviews! Thank you for choosing Lancrigg as a place to spend Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back. We all enjoyed Christmas here too with such an interesting mix of people and to receive a great review like this helps make all the hard work worthwhile as it is the enjoyment of guests which is of paramount importance to myself and the team.
All the best Robert Whittington

Reviewed 16 January 2011

We stayed at Lancrigg between Christmas and New Year 2010 and having stayed there some years ago we were disappointed this time with the accommodation and the quality of the service.

Specifically the issues were:

• Toilet in room not working properly. – The toilet in our room wasn’t flushing properly, to get it to flush you had to pull off the cistern lid and pull, push and wriggle it until it did flush.

• TV didn’t have subtitles. – Although the television was digital the subtitles function didn’t work, because I am deaf I can’t watch TV without subtitles. Subtitles are available on Freeview and other digital channels.

• Service in the restaurant. On one occasion we waited for other 2 hours for a meal at a table booked for 7.15pm.

On our first morning we reported room problems to the reception staff as we went out for the day. The member of staff we spoke to was very friendly and said they would sort it out. When we came back the manager was at reception he didn’t mention anything about the problems with our room and we had to prompt him. He said the toilet problem was probably down to frozen pipes and he couldn’t get anyone because it was a bank holiday.

This was obviously not frozen pipes as the cistern would fill normally with water. We suggested moving rooms but he said the hotel was fully booked. As far as the TV he said that wasn’t anything that he could sort out. We weren’t particularly happy but hoped at least the toilet would be sorted the next day with the opportunity to get a plumber on a working day. We were staying 3 days. The next day it wasn’t even mentioned and there was no evidence that the manager had even bothered to investigate the issue.

The food was mostly good with some interesting vegetarian touches but the service wasn’t. The waiting staff are not to blame because this indicated a lack of staff training, specific issues were:

• Service very very slow. We understand that small restaurants need to know what time people are coming to eat so we booked our tables. On our second night it took an hour for our main courses to arrive. On our last night we had a table booked for 7:15 our main courses arrived after 9:30, one of which was sent back because it wasn’t hot. In all the time we were waiting for a food no member of staff came to tell us why there was a delay. Generally the staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful but on at least two occasions they forgot things like water for the table and in all the meals we had in 3 days only once were we asked if everything was ok.

Summary:

Overall the experience was poor, obviously the problems with the room could not have been anticipated but there was no evidence or communication that any attempt had been made to deal with them. A competent restaurant should not keep diners waiting for over 2 hours. We felt that the management just couldn’t be bothered. We won’t be returning and we won’t be recommending Lancrigg again.

When we checked out reception asked how our stay was. We repeated the problem with the toilet and the receptionist said she would talk to the manager and sort it out. I explained that the manager knew about the problem and wasn’t bothered and the receptionist assured me he would be in touch and arrange a refund. Out of courtesy we waited 16 days before posting this review but we have not heard anything.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aliententacles

Dear Alien Tentacles
There seems to have been some misunderstanding here as we tried our best to attend to the things you brought to our attention at the time. I am very sorry that you thought I have a don’t care attitude, as guests happiness is of the utmost importance to me and my team and please again accept my apologies for failing to make your experience at Lancrigg more positive. We apologise again that we couldn’t get the subtitles to work on the new television, and that we were not more expert in sorting this out- we did try. We have a satellite system as otherwise there is poor reception otherwise due to the mountains and have since found that the system does not include subtitles and are looking at how we can add this service in. Thank you for bringing this to our attention during your stay, as no one had mentioned it and we fully understand that this would be very useful for those with impaired hearing.
We are disappointed that you did not rate the room and cleanliness overall more highly as we had just redecorated the bedroom and fitted new carpet, and on inspection found the room to be very clean indeed.
We tested the toilet several times very shortly after seeing you, and as you told me at the time, we also found it flushed after 2 or at most 3 presses on the handle but due to the bank holiday we couldn’t get the part immediately. I recall that you said you had taken the cistern lid off to try and diagnose the problem, but you didn’t tell me that you had had to do this to flush it and I further apologise if this was indeed the case. The various parts were replaced the day you left, as due to the bank holiday no local plumbers were available and we did not,call a plumber from further afield as we were also concerned about causing disruption in your room as the job took several hours to complete.
That on two occasions you were not asked if everything was ok during your dinner, is disappointing to hear as this is important to us too, and although staff are reminded of the importance of asking this of everyone at various points during service we will be even more mindful of this. We can get delays at times in the service of meals due to a variety of reasons including if a staff member is unable to work at short notice, which also was the case on one day over the Christmas period. If a delay is brought to our attention at the time we will do our best to make amends and speed things up.
We introduced the booking of times for a table to help ensure smoother service, and sometimes a delay can occur - for example we find people may then like to have a drink and go in a bit later, or sometimes separate dishes may need to be prepared at short notice, and we are more than happy to accommodate all these things, but despite this, with freshly prepared menus, we can suddenly have a hiatus with a great many dishes needed at once and then unfortunately some plates are delayed – even after 30 years experience in running a restaurant. We are always looking for ways to provide a smooth run through and will continue to do so and the vast majority of dishes go out smoothly. We were very pleased to have had our busiest Christmas season ever here and over the 12 days of Christmas alone we served around 1,000 meals, some 3,000 courses as well as countless teas and coffees and other drinks, but we always concerned to hear of any disappointment and again we apologise for any displeasure caused by our shortcomings..
We take a lot of care to employ particularly pleasant and helpful staff at Lancrigg and we believe that they are very approachable too, and we do our best to see that the great many things to do are done efficiently and pleasantly very mindful of the fact that sometimes even seemingly small things can impact negatively on a guests stay, and we are constantly trying to ensure that this does not happen and apologise for our failings. I was not aware of any mention of financial recompense following your stay and if you would like to contact me about this please do not hesitate to do so.
Kind regards Robert Whittington

Reviewed 1 January 2011

I chose Lancrigg for my Christmas break as I could take my dog, and the restaurant is vegetarian - perfect for me. If you don't like dogs, don't worry - they're not allowed in the shared lounge or dining room. And if you're not a vegetarian, don't worry either - the food is excellent and you won't miss meat at all.
The hotel itself is lovely - a typical country house hotel, with an open fire in the lounge and rooms with personality. I had a "suite" on 2 levels with a four-poster bed but with a superb modern bathroom with an excellent walk-in shower and a jacuzzi bath.
But the main thing over Christmas is the food, which was excellent - delicious, really imaginative,and with lots of vegan options.
Robert and his staff are wonderful; friendly and attentive.
And the location is fantastic. Just outside Grasmere, and set in its own woodland, where I saw deer on 3 days out of 4. It goes without saying, given that this is Grasmere, that there are lovely towns and villages, fantastic scenery and lots of great walks within easy reach.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank Rubyd00

Dear Ruby dOO
Thank you for taking the time to post this wonderful review of your stay at Lancrigg as you have captured so much of what makes this place special to us and to so many of our guests. We hope that you will be returning in the not too distant future and myself and the team look forward to welcoming you then.
All the best Robert Whittington

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Lancrigg Hotel? Share your experiences!