“The best vegetarian food in the country - a taste sensation!”
Review of The Lancrigg Hotel

The Lancrigg Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Glasgow
“The best vegetarian food in the country - a taste sensation!”
Reviewed 15 April 2011

I found Lancrigg on Trip Advisor whilst planning a trip to Grasmere and being a Vegetarian I couldn't not try it. I was staying in another hotel in the Grasmere area, so this review is for the restaurant only. My mother and I enjoyed a leisurely stroll to Lancrigg (about 15mins walk from the centre) after being advised by a local person that there was no need to travel by car. When we arrived we thought the location was beautiful and we were greeted by Rob at the front door who was ever so welcoming and friendly, as were all the staff. Once in the restaurant the menu was extensive with plenty of choice of mains, starters and desserts. It was so difficult to choose! When each course arrived I was in veggie heaven! The servings were plentiful and cooked to perfection. My mother is not a veggie but she was amazed by the way that Lancrigg made veggie food appetising to the eye and the palate. Afterwards you feel nurtured and wholesome. When we were preparing to leave, Rob kindly offered to drive us back down to the town as the night had drawn in and we had foolishly walked without a torch (there is no street lighting on the road up to Lancrigg), we were ever so thankful! I enjoyed my time at Lancrigg so much I'm planning another trip to Grasmere and I will ensure I pay another visit. A massive thank you once again to Rob and all his staff for such wonderful food, hospitality and going that extra mile and taking us back to our hotel safely!

Room Tip: If you walk take a torch
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Llandysul, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2011

My wife and I spent 5 nights in Lancrigg and enjoyed everthing about it.
Until you stay at Lancrigg you cannot really appreciate the relaxing nature and ethos of this hotel .
The room was very clean, well appointed with a king size bed (excellent sleeps!) and an excellent view of Silver Howe.
The hotel is in easy walking distance from Grasmere where there are numerous shops .
The food served at the hotel is of good quality and presented well . Lunch on the lawn went down nicely !

Room Tip: Silver Howe room has the best view
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Reviewed 10 April 2011

I've just spent a wonderful week at Lancrigg and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. First of all is the location; it couldn't be more perfect, right at the foot of Helm Crag and overlooking beautiful countryside. It is incredibly peaceful, having no through traffic and no streetlights. Then there is the food - fantastic, healthy and very tasty. I expected to get a set menu, as I was staying half board, but I got to choose from the al a carte, so there were around seven starter and main courses and every one of them delicious. It made such a difference to eat homemade, fresh, organic and nutritious food every day. I stayed in Nightingale, which was the perfect size room for me - my room was clean and cosy and I'm missing the lovely deep bath already! There was no shortage of very hot water, the room had tea/coffee making facilities as well as a TV with a DVD and video included. I had lovely clean towels and in answer to the critics re room cleaning - there is a sign that you can leave on the door saying that you're out on the fells, so please clean the room, so my room was serviced when I felt it needed to be. The rest of the hotel is gorgeous - lovely 'chill out' lounge with big soft settees, with a marvellous vista, and very nice dining room. Last but certainly not least, everyone made me feel very welcome - I spent some time chatting with Rob about recipes (please send me the Cauliflower and Brocolli soup one!) and Nikki, Anita and Marta couldn't have been more helpful - it's apparent that everyone works very hard to make sure guests are looked after. I came away from my holiday feeling thoroughly relaxed and healthy. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2011

My partner and have never written a review before, but felt a need to state what a fantastic place this hotel truly is.
The owner Rob and his staff could not be faulted. The food choice was extensive and truly delicious.
The hotel surroundings and character enabled us instantly relax...in addition to our spa bath!
We loved our stay so much we changed our plans to stay a further night and certainly cannot wait to return.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2011

Stayed two night's at this fabulous hotel. Great location, great food, staff were lovely. Our dog loved it. Will definatley go back again.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Amazing place to get away from it all. Beautiful room (the Azalea, a mini suite). Shame about the weather, but it made no difference. The food was 5 star. Even though I am not vegeterian, I think I could quite easily become one after eating here! The location, in it's own grounds with local wildlife, deer, rabbits etc was fantastic. Just the place to get away from it all.
Thine hosts, Robert and Janet, make it feel better than your own home! Even an impromptu classical guitar recital from the waiter!
Will definitely make this hotel a regular haunt. Well done Lancrigg!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Swanage, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 January 2011

We booked this trip as a special treat for our Christmas break. The package was three nights from the 24th to 27th of December. We were more than spoiled with good company and great, imaginative and good-quality food; greeted with mulled wine and mince pies on the afternoon of arrival was just the beginning. We had champagne breakfast, six-course Christmas Day meal and a splendid buffet in the evening. Everything is vegetarian (vegan options available) and organic, and my partner, a non-vegetarian, said it was some of the best food he'd ever tasted - and there was certainly plenty of it. Fantastic! (Apparently a high proportion of the guests who stay are non-vegetarian but leave - if not converted - more than happy with the delicious fare.)

Our room was in the owners' house, a short walk away from the main hotel, through a charming, wood, which added much to the romantic time, especially when we woke up on Boxing Day to find there was fresh snow lying on the ground.

Our break at Lancrigg was all so much better than we expected and the good company of the other guests was excellent. It felt for us as though we arrived as strangers and left as friends. Hopefully we can repeat the good experience again this coming Christmas and want to give a big thank you to Robert and Janet and their brilliant staff, and son Michael, who all looked after us so well in that very special time of year.

Many thanks again and we definitely will be back again sometime soon.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Dear CaptainZ
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this great review and we are very happy to hear that you both enjoyed so many aspects of your stay at Kitty Crag - also that it was all so better than you dared hope from reading the various reviews! Thank you for choosing Lancrigg as a place to spend Christmas and we look forward to welcoming you back. We all enjoyed Christmas here too with such an interesting mix of people and to receive a great review like this helps make all the hard work worthwhile as it is the enjoyment of guests which is of paramount importance to myself and the team.
All the best Robert Whittington