“The perfect romantic hideaway”
Review of The Lancrigg Hotel

The Lancrigg Hotel
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Manchester, United Kingdom
“The perfect romantic hideaway”
Reviewed 1 August 2011

After hearing great reviews about this hotel from my parents, I came here for the weekend with my family and fiancé and definitely wasn’t disappointed.
We stayed at Kitty Crag which was perfect for our getaway as it was quiet, peaceful and romantic. It is a great place to stay whether spending quality time with the family, or having a quiet getaway as a couple.
The food at the hotel was lovely, and the staff were always very helpful and friendly.
I will definitely be coming back here as it is a hidden gem!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I was looking for some rest and relaxation and good food and i got exactly what i was looking for. I can find no fault with my stay at all and was delighted at the extensive vegan menu that was available infact my only disappointment is that i wasnt there long enough to sample it all! Wonderful sorroundings infact i never left the grounds from arriving to departing....everything was available right there even some vegan chocolate! I would like to thank all the staff for such a wonderful time and hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Dickens room had a wonderful view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank susan_newlife1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 July 2011

We enjoyed 3 wonderful days in a warm & friendly atmosphere at Lancrigg, our third visit. Robert, Janet & staff could not have done more to make our stay so enjoyable. The food was exquisite, the Azalea suite bright clean with maybe a hint of Bohemian quirkiness which I have to say we loved. Everybody involved with the hotel from the greeting we received from Nicki to the helpful chat after dinner with Sam were excellent.
All in all a delightful experience we would highly recommend to anyone.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This is the third (I think) time we have stayed at the Lancrigg, although our last visit was over 7 years ago. I can safely say that we have never had a bad experience, and this latest stay (for our 10th anniversary) was probably the best yet.

We stayed in the Dickens room, which had been completely refurbished since our last visit, including a new spa bath. The view from the room was stunning - across the valley to Easedale; indeed we walked from the hotel up Easdale on the Saturday.

Although my wife is vegetarian I myself am not, but I still found the food wonderful. Having had the goats cheese tart for starter I was tempted to have another for 'desert' it was that good. All the other dishes we had were wonderful, and portions were more than ample. On the Friday we had a bottle of Amarone with dinner, and it was exceptional. Unfortunately when we ordered it again on the Saturday, the table next to us had had the last one!

The staff were all very helpful and friendly, making us feel very welcome and relaxed.

If I was to try to find fault, I guess I'd say that the reception on the TV in the room wasn't very good, but then we only put it on for the dog while we were at dinner. Oh, and while there was tea and coffee facilities in the room, there wasn't any milk - but I guess a quick call to reception would have fixed that.

All in all a wonderful trip. I only wish we didn't have to slog past Birmingham and Manchester to get there!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2011

This was vegan heaven for my partner and our (well-behaved!) dog. It's a beautiful place in a stunning location. And you don't need to be vegan or veggie to enjoy the imaginative and delicious food. Staff were really friendly and helpful. Our room was very pleasant, pretty and clean with a nice modern bathroom. I was surprised to see some negative reviews - I can only surmise that some rooms have been upgraded more than others. There was a little dippiness about meals (what we'd had and what we hadn't) but we sorted that out! So perhaps a wee bit more staff training or better methods of logging meals might help? The breakfasts were particularly good and we liked the evening meals too - but it would be nice to have a daily special or two? While the food was fresh and tasty I'd like to see a couple more vegan options to the veggie dishes -eg replace dairy cheese with vegan; cream with vegan plain or sour creame. I'd also like to see more imaginative vegan desserts, such as cheesecake and tiramisu - rather than the usual offerings of crumble and such.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
St Andrews
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We were only able to spend one night at the Lancrigg, but it was at the end of a strenuous week's walking in the Lakes, and we couldn't have chosen better. The room was in the main house and was just delightful, a huge bathroom with such nice toiletries, and we could not fault the evening meal or the imaginative breakfast options. The staff were charming.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Room tatty and needing renovation; no toiletries when we arrived. Towel rail bizarrely fixed to tiles secured on top of the wallpaper.

Lost our main course orders at dinenr so spent hours in dreary restaurant; breakfast next morning equally poor.

Tried to charge for half-board when left and could not provide itemised bill so have no idea what we actually were paying for - proprietor seemed to make it up.

Proprietor blamed new staff for problems and was overheard commenting to another guest that he hadn't had any time off dor three weeks; it showed.

Great building and great location but 2 or 3 star quality at 4 or 5 star price.

Room Tip: Don't bother
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Pajar
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
We are sorry that we failed to satisfy your expectations. Sadly your aspersions have deterred guests - a devastating thing for a small business when it deters people who would actually love it here. Following your review we have just shown a non resident some rooms, including the Darwin, after they told us they would liked to have stayed but were worried after reading your review- they couldn’t believe the disparity between the impression your review gave them and what they saw and returned for another dinner and booked the room for a future stay. The vast vast majority leave on a fabulous note of cheer, and tell us they have had a lovely stay and it is rare for us to hear otherwise and during the year we had some 6,000 visitors of whom some three gave us the lowest scores on here. We always do our best to ensure people have a great stay and will do our best to rectify and make amends should anything be brought to our attention at the time - the pleasure of guests is what sustains us on a daily basis. We always attend to anything that has been overlooked such as the toiletries if it is brought to attention and it seems this was attended to. It is rare for an order to be misplaced and again we apologise for the delay with your meal and the error with your bill for which I made you a reduction. I had explained that the member of staff was under training.
We maintain high standards of cleanliness and most people really like our dining room. The tiles in your bathroom are not stuck on the wallpaper and I cannot understand why you would think they were. The Darwin room is not all brand new but regularly receives good feedback and the worst we can find on close inspection are a couple of wrinkles in the wallpaper in a corner due to this being an old building with uneven walls. We are a three star hotel with all the services in this category and more - the prices sit well with other 3 star hotels in this central Lakeland locality, especially considering our location and historic house, and are actually below those of 4 star hotels, often half the price. Our best and most spacious rooms with stunning views are at a similar price to some of the cheapest rooms in local 4 star hotels, and we have one of the very best locations in the Lake District for peace and tranquillity and walking. I often work long hours as I am committed to ensuring that guests are well looked after in our hotel and for me this is not a hardship. I would not be doing this job for so long if the vast majority of guests did not express their positive aspects of their holiday to me on a daily basis. again I am sorry you found so little enjoyable whilst staying here.
Yours Sincerely Robert Whittington and the team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Wordsworth Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Lancrigg Hotel? Share your experiences!