“Extraordinary place”
Review of The Lancrigg Hotel

The Lancrigg Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 21 August 2012

I had a wonderful relaxing stay for 3 nights at this beautiful hotel. The dinner,bed and breakfast option was perfect. The breakfast set me up for a day of walking in the hills right out the front door and then I came back for a most delicious dinner. The room was clean and very comfortable, the service friendly and helpful, the food was delicious and plentiful, and the overall experience was heavenly. I stayed 2 years ago for a similar trip and it seems even better now.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank bostonval
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear Boston Val
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review We are all very happy to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of Lancrigg . It is great to hear too that you felt it was even better than your last stay as we are always working hard to maintain and raise standards year on year.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Lancrigg.
Yours sincerely
Robert Whittington and the team

There are newer reviews for The Lancrigg Hotel

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have just spent a wonderful week staying at Lancrigg and would thoroughly recommend it. It is an attractive and interesting house, perfectly located a few minutes from Grasmere, but literally off the beaten track with no traffic noise, absolutely stunning views and endless walks possible straight from the hotel. The room was comfortable, the owner was hospitable but discreet, and we were really impressed with the friendly and helpful staff. But, as a vegetarian, the stand-out feature was the delicious food - two course breakfasts (I am a huge fan of breakfast!) rather than the meagre vegi choices in other hotels, and an evening menu we made sure to leave room for at lunchtime. Also the organic beer and wine went down very well. We're looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Silver Howe has a stunning view though the shower is a bit feeble.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linda g
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare and post this lovely review of your recent week at Lancrigg. It's great hear how much you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and thank you for choosing to spend your holiday time here. it is great feedback from our wonderful guests which has kept us sustained for the last 30 years so thank you again and we look forward to welcoming back to Lancrigg for another holiday in the not too far off future.
All the best
Janet Whittington

Reviewed 17 July 2012

My friend and I called at this hotel for lunch whilst out walking in Easedale - it is set in the most beautiful surroundings and we were looking forward to eating lunch on the lawn whilst taking in the wonderful views - however we both ordered the 'Greek Salad Bowl' priced at £7.95 - sadly we were disappointed when we were served a small bowl containing lettuce, half a tomato , 3 small cubes of feta cheese and 4 olives..... that and 2 cups of tea and the bill came to £20. Two hours later, ravenous, we went to Chesters at Skelwith Bridge and had Salmon frittata, pasta salad, cous cous, potato salad and green bean salad and again 2 cups of tea, the bill also came to £20.
We were the only 2 people at Lancrigg Hotel for lunch at the time, but the waitress seemed a little 'put out' by our presence as though she was too busy- and by the quality of the lunch we were given it looked like the chef was too busy too. I can see other traveller reviews for the hotel are good so maybe we called on a bad day ....? Would recommend calling to see the lovely old house and great surroundings but maybe carry on walking down to Grasmere for lunch.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandy B
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Craghoppers
Your review has just been brought to my attention - I'm sorry no mention was made of this at the time - it turns out that you received a starter size side salad on the smaller plate rather than our full Greek salad on the huge plate , of which we have served thousands to satisfaction. I am sorry to only read about this one! if you get in touch with me we can hopefully sort this out. and I can explain what happened with the salad and the waitress and make amends
with apologies
Rob Whittington

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I treated myself to one night at Lancrigg following a conference nearby. I'd been before (with my late husband) and we'd loved the food, ambiance and location. It was still as good plus I was upgraded to the Wordsworth (fabulous view) and the sun shone. I only wish I'd been able to stay longer! For solo travellers, it feels fine to dine alone: I wasn't staring lovingly into someone's eyes but I'd got a beautiful view to feast on...
My only advice to the hotel would be to think about including one glass of something with the meal for resident guests. I'd have paid extra so's I'd paid for everything before I arrived which is my preference.

Room Tip: The hotel's website tells you if it's a room with a view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear Linda G
Myself and the team thank you for taking the time to write this great review of your week at Lancrigg. You have summed up much of what makes Lancrigg a special place and it is great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects including our food as lot of thought and care goes into all aspects of the menus from the high quality of the ingredients, to the nutritional balance, the presentation and flavours. . I look forward to you returning to Lancrigg for another holiday before too long Thank you again
With Best Wishes
Janet Whittington

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Although a dog friendly hotel, dogs aren't allowed in the lounge which has a wooden floor! So the only place it could go was either outside or in the bedroom.

We sat outside on the front lawn, having just ordered a bottle of wine, and the dog was playing about minding its own business when out came a waitress and waiter (quite why it took two people I do not know) and shouted out to us in front of another couple that we had to keep the dog on the lead. A quiet word in our ears would have been better.

The bedroom carpet had a musty 'wee' smell to it. Not from our dog I hasten to add.

Evening meal was nice, only spoilt by the price of a glass of wine at £5 and not even a full glass at that. We'd already forked out £20 for a bottle of average wine so felt a bit peeved at the price of a small glass. Hotel in general looked like it could have done with a good overhaul to be honest. Overpriced hotel for average rooms and service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ex-stew
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We have 2 babies under two. On booking I explained this to the owner Robert who said this was no problem, he gave us a choice of rooms and we opted for the Wainwright room. On our arrival two cots were set up in the seperate lounge as we requested. We were located to the rear of the hotel which was a relief. Any parent with a baby who wakes in the night will understand!
The staff were very welcoming and helped carry our many bags to our room. Everyone who we encountered was polite, courtious and helpful. The food was sublime and the chef prepared meals for our children so they could be in bed at their usual time. Our children were made most welcome! We enjoyed dinner as a couple for the first time post babies.
We very much enjoyed our 4 night stay and would recommend this hotel to couples looking for romance as well as families looking for a break.
Thanks lancrigg. Clare, David, Vivienne and Dexter.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank 943Clare
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We booked 2 nights here for our aniversary but ended up staying an extra night because it was so lovely. With a great location in Grasmere, beautiful views and grounds to explore it really was a little piece of heaven on earth! If you are into walking then you can plan to leave the car on the drive and start walking from the hotel, with lots of different routes to follow you can't go wrong. We dined in the restaurant and throughly enjoyed the vegetarian food and breakfast was always excellent. The whole building is very old and retains it's charm, the history of previous visitors and owners was fascinating. We had a room with jacuzzi bath, comfortable double bed, sitting room and also a small area outside with a table and chairs where we could enjoy the beautiful scenery. Some people may think on first impression that the building needs some repair work (which it probably does) but we accepted it as it was, flaking paint on windowsills did not bother us at all. The hotel was very clean and the staff always helpful. This is a place we would certainly come back to. You are getting good value for money.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Lancrigg Hotel? Share your experiences!