“Excellent”
Review of The Lancrigg Hotel

The Lancrigg Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 11 September 2012

We really enjoyed our home from home experience , Lancrigg served fresh interesting food of a very high quality which was always freshly prepared. All the staff were friendly and always helpful.This hotel is set in a beautiful location and is perfect for walking or just taking it easy. Room had a fabulous view and would certainly return again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ruth F
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2012

We are all very happy to hear how much you enjoyed the fresh food and felt it was a home from home experience staying at Lancrigg having a lovely relaxing time - this is always what we all work hard to try and achieve for each and every one who chooses to spend time here at Lancrigg. It is very much appreciated by myself and the team that you have taken the time to post this great review and we look forward to welcoming you back to Lancrigg again in the not too distant future.

There are newer reviews for The Lancrigg Hotel

Reviewed 2 September 2012

My wife & I recenty stayed at Lancrigg for two nights, looking forward to some "veggie luxury" on our way home from a self-catering holiday in Wales, having stayed at least twice before & previously enjoyed some excellent & interesting vegetarian cuisine. We were, however, both very disappointed on this occasion to find a dinner menu (identical on both nights) containing choices such as pizza, penne pasta & Thai green curry - what we'd consider very boring & unimaginative veggie options on a "standard" menu, never mind in an exclusively vegetarian establishment! - plus other pretty uninspiring choices such as cottage pie. This was not at all what we'd expected, nor what we had remembered from previous stays & considering what we were charged for two nights DB&B (over £400), very poor value for money - frankly even at half the price! Although the location is of course wonderful & the staff were all friendly enough, it has to be said the room we had also felt a little "tired", with a cracked toilet seat(!!) & broken tiles & mould marks on the bathroom ceiling. We had been advised by friends, who had also enjoyed stays at Lancrigg in the past, that they'd heard from others that standards had fallen & we could only confirm to them that this was indeed the case. The whole point of wanting to stay at somewhere like Lancrigg (& pay the prices charged) is to be able to enjoy quality vegetarian food & not be restricted to the same old boring veggie options offered so often elsewhere, but sadly going by our most recent experience, Lancrigg has totally lost this attraction & we'll be looking eldewhere in future, until & unless we hear standards have returned to what we enjoyed on previous stays. All very disappointing !!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David G
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2012

Dear
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy yourselves as much on your previous visits as we have had lots of great feedback from return guests. As you did not tell us anything when you were here we did not know which room you had., a search did reveal a bathroom with a crack in a quarter tile at the bottom left hand corner of the bath panel – filled, along with a toilet seat where a seam in the wood was beginning to separate - replaced. Had you mentioned it, it would have been done there and then. I am sorry these detracted from your stay. I am glad you found the staff attentive and it would have been helpful if you had mentioned anything that bothered you to them or myself to give us a chance to remedy these.
I am sorry you did not find our current menu as appealing to you as much as others you have had . We are closely involved in feedback as well as the waiting staff, we, the chefs, often go round the dining room to meet the guests and are happy to say that the majority of feedback is very positive. We always look to provide what we find people enjoy so again I am sorry the menus did not meet to your preference and we will look at some of the types of meals we think must be the ones you particularly enjoyed and include more of them from time to time. The menu you had is based on favourite world food dishes and offered a choice of 8 main courses including two starters which can be mains, and I am sorry that you did not find this sufficient enough over your stay. We do often have changing menu additions to give extra choice when there are guests staying more than a few nights.
I assure you that we are as dedicated as ever to do our best for the prices we offer in this beautiful location to ensure that guests have a good time. We value all feedback and do our best to meet expectations. It is helpful if a mention of any concerns is made to us at the time as we always do our best to remedy anything that is brought to our attention.
We always do our best to offer the highest standards and a couple of reviews ago someone has said ‘even better’ and any feedback to the contrary is taken seriously. We are that increasingly rare thing- a family run business- make the most of them while they exist before corporate takes over and we will lose lots of places with character. We have all been committed for many years to promote better vegetarian and vegan food, appreciated by so many, and it is a shame that almost every time we make the slightest mistake or disappoint it ends up in public and often with a great degree of negativity. Of course we don’t want to disappoint anyone and had you been able to communicate your reasons for unhappiness at the time of course we would have done our best to do whatever was necessary.
We believe that we offer good value taking into account all the variables – including the seasonal nature of business, local property costs and so on – in peak season such as when you stayed, your room is around £99 per person, per night, including three course dinner with coffee tea or tisane , bed and full breakfast, 20% VAT, and in a good sized double room with splendid views, large whirlpool bath, pure shower and bath products, and complimentary tea on arrival. We use the highest quality food ingredients and serve freshly made meal, in a wonderful and exclusive Lakeland location with friendly staff to attend you. As realistic hoteliers we realise we will not please all of the people all of the time, but nevertheless it is always our aim. Guests are encouraged in our room information to mention any shortcomings or requests to us when they are staying and give us a chance at least to put things right.
We are the same people running this now as the other times you stayed and nothing has lessened in our commitment to doing our best to provide good service food and accommodation to all who stay. I hope that you will try us again in the not too distant future.
Yours sincerely
Robert Whittington and the team

Reviewed 21 August 2012

I had a wonderful relaxing stay for 3 nights at this beautiful hotel. The dinner,bed and breakfast option was perfect. The breakfast set me up for a day of walking in the hills right out the front door and then I came back for a most delicious dinner. The room was clean and very comfortable, the service friendly and helpful, the food was delicious and plentiful, and the overall experience was heavenly. I stayed 2 years ago for a similar trip and it seems even better now.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank bostonval

Dear Boston Val
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review We are all very happy to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects of Lancrigg . It is great to hear too that you felt it was even better than your last stay as we are always working hard to maintain and raise standards year on year.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Lancrigg.
Yours sincerely
Robert Whittington and the team

Reviewed 17 August 2012

We have just spent a wonderful week staying at Lancrigg and would thoroughly recommend it. It is an attractive and interesting house, perfectly located a few minutes from Grasmere, but literally off the beaten track with no traffic noise, absolutely stunning views and endless walks possible straight from the hotel. The room was comfortable, the owner was hospitable but discreet, and we were really impressed with the friendly and helpful staff. But, as a vegetarian, the stand-out feature was the delicious food - two course breakfasts (I am a huge fan of breakfast!) rather than the meagre vegi choices in other hotels, and an evening menu we made sure to leave room for at lunchtime. Also the organic beer and wine went down very well. We're looking forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: Silver Howe has a stunning view though the shower is a bit feeble.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank linda g

Thank you very much for taking the time to prepare and post this lovely review of your recent week at Lancrigg. It's great hear how much you enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and thank you for choosing to spend your holiday time here. it is great feedback from our wonderful guests which has kept us sustained for the last 30 years so thank you again and we look forward to welcoming back to Lancrigg for another holiday in the not too far off future.
All the best

Reviewed 17 July 2012

My friend and I called at this hotel for lunch whilst out walking in Easedale - it is set in the most beautiful surroundings and we were looking forward to eating lunch on the lawn whilst taking in the wonderful views - however we both ordered the 'Greek Salad Bowl' priced at £7.95 - sadly we were disappointed when we were served a small bowl containing lettuce, half a tomato , 3 small cubes of feta cheese and 4 olives..... that and 2 cups of tea and the bill came to £20. Two hours later, ravenous, we went to Chesters at Skelwith Bridge and had Salmon frittata, pasta salad, cous cous, potato salad and green bean salad and again 2 cups of tea, the bill also came to £20.
We were the only 2 people at Lancrigg Hotel for lunch at the time, but the waitress seemed a little 'put out' by our presence as though she was too busy- and by the quality of the lunch we were given it looked like the chef was too busy too. I can see other traveller reviews for the hotel are good so maybe we called on a bad day ....? Would recommend calling to see the lovely old house and great surroundings but maybe carry on walking down to Grasmere for lunch.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mandy B
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2012

Dear Craghoppers
Your review has just been brought to my attention - I'm sorry no mention was made of this at the time - it turns out that you received a starter size side salad on the smaller plate rather than our full Greek salad on the huge plate , of which we have served thousands to satisfaction. I am sorry to only read about this one! if you get in touch with me we can hopefully sort this out. and I can explain what happened with the salad and the waitress and make amends
with apologies
Rob Whittington

Reviewed 13 July 2012

I treated myself to one night at Lancrigg following a conference nearby. I'd been before (with my late husband) and we'd loved the food, ambiance and location. It was still as good plus I was upgraded to the Wordsworth (fabulous view) and the sun shone. I only wish I'd been able to stay longer! For solo travellers, it feels fine to dine alone: I wasn't staring lovingly into someone's eyes but I'd got a beautiful view to feast on...
My only advice to the hotel would be to think about including one glass of something with the meal for resident guests. I'd have paid extra so's I'd paid for everything before I arrived which is my preference.

Room Tip: The hotel's website tells you if it's a room with a view!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo

Dear Linda G
Myself and the team thank you for taking the time to write this great review of your week at Lancrigg. You have summed up much of what makes Lancrigg a special place and it is great to hear that you enjoyed so many aspects including our food as lot of thought and care goes into all aspects of the menus from the high quality of the ingredients, to the nutritional balance, the presentation and flavours. . I look forward to you returning to Lancrigg for another holiday before too long Thank you again
With Best Wishes

Reviewed 6 July 2012

Although a dog friendly hotel, dogs aren't allowed in the lounge which has a wooden floor! So the only place it could go was either outside or in the bedroom.

We sat outside on the front lawn, having just ordered a bottle of wine, and the dog was playing about minding its own business when out came a waitress and waiter (quite why it took two people I do not know) and shouted out to us in front of another couple that we had to keep the dog on the lead. A quiet word in our ears would have been better.

The bedroom carpet had a musty 'wee' smell to it. Not from our dog I hasten to add.

Evening meal was nice, only spoilt by the price of a glass of wine at £5 and not even a full glass at that. We'd already forked out £20 for a bottle of average wine so felt a bit peeved at the price of a small glass. Hotel in general looked like it could have done with a good overhaul to be honest. Overpriced hotel for average rooms and service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ex-stew
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Lancrigg Hotel? Share your experiences!