After a long day’s walk in the Lakes, the thing that one would most relish is a hot bath and a comfortable bed. At £140 per night, we expected that Lancrigg Hotel would easily meet this minimal expectation. However, we were in for a shock!!!
The hot shower – Half way through my shower, the water went cold. No phone in the room, so I had to go down to the reception to find out what was going on. I was told that if too many people use the bathrooms at the same time the hot water runs out. From the reaction of the staff I got the impression that this was not the first time that this issue had come up.
The comfortable bed – We had a four poster bed in our room, which on the first look seemed rather impressive. However, once we climbed onto it we realized that the mattress was so old and thin that we could feel the slats underneath it. It made for a very uncomfortable night’s sleep.
Overall appearance - In all the photos the hotel appears rather homely and luxurious but underneath it all there is no substance nor any real comfort. Everything – from the wardrobe to the sink in the bed room - was rather old, tried and nonfunctional.
The views – The hotel has been credited with great views and gardens. However, in the Lakes, you should find great views everywhere. The key question is what sort of view you would get when you look out of your bedroom window. The room allocated to us had a very restricted view of the backyard, which made a bright sunny day look rather depressing.
I will not go back to Lancrigg Hotel or recommend it to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lancrigg Hotel is set in the totally peaceful and picturesque valley of Easedale, 1/2 mile from Grasmere. The accommodation is comfortable and relaxing and makes a wonderful escape from a busy world. The house has many connections with past and present writers, artists and musicians. The Kitchen at Lancrigg is open throughout the day for coffees and meals. The food is imaginative and freshly prepared with daily specials ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your The Lancrigg Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lancrigg Vegetarian Country Hotel
- Lancrigg Vegetarian Country Grasmere
- The Lancrigg Hotel Grasmere, Lake District