“Could I convert?”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Whitby, United Kingdom
“Could I convert?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I'm not vegetarian in fact I have extolled the virtues of meat to my vegetarian wife on many occasion!
However I have to say that I do know a great plate of food, I would like to think I'm not a slouch in the kitchen too, but when presented with food of this standard I recognise just how vain and lacking in talent I am.
When I get the chance to savour something from a new source I like to order something I otherwise would not eat, you know if I want curry I go to an Asian or indian restaurant so at a vegetarian restaurant I ordered food I wouldn't make myself. Horses for courses.
I would like to say what I had was spot on. So much flavour, the combinations of texture and flavour were so good that if only I could produce food of this standard myself or find it readily eating out I would convert to a vegetarian diet tomorrow!
Unfortunately not all vegetarian options are in this league so I will remain omnivorous for now but I am so looking forward to returning here for more excellent repast.

Room Tip: This house was frequented by the wordsworths, down to the gardens it is historic in extreme sleep wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Whitby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having visited Lancrigg every year for the past six years just for lunch, when we arranged a last-minute spur of the moment trip I was so excited. For once, everything turned out to be as magical as I hoped. The house itself is steeped in character, sure it's not new and there are idiosyncrasies that could be improved upon, but this historical home is a wonderful source of inspiration. Everything about the attitude of the staff makes you feel as though you are welcome, and they were wonderful with my children, ages 5 and 6.
We stayed in the Booth Richardson room, had an amazing dinner and breakfast - I noted the clean plates at all tables, not just ours - and wandered around the gardens and landscape as though time no longer mattered. I would like to thank the owners and staff for working so hard to create an idyll and a respite from the crazy demands of modern life. Longing to return again already!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

Friendly and helpful staff, delicious food, a wonderful nights sleep, peaceful setting with fun walks - we walked both days but didn't venture into Grasmere, just ate in the vegetarian restaurant - it was the loveliest place I've stayed - the walk up to Helm Crag and Easedale Tarn start from the Hotel - perfect!

Room Tip: The lovely staff will advise!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2013

The location was perfect for us with a 10-15 minute walk to the charming little village of Grasmere. It has a close proximity to the starting points of a great many, easy to moderate difficulty, fell-walks and the close surroundings around Lancrigg are beautiful and tranquil.

We chose the "Dinner Bed&Breakfast" package which included a 3-course meal with coffee/tea. The food was absolutely excellent with a full menu of interesting organic, vegetarian dishes. They also offer, for example, gluten-free and vegan alternatives. The people of staff are very accomodating and it's possible to come with special requests.

It's a charming old house surrounded by nature, the calm, peace and quiet at night was quite an experience compared to the city life at home. The house is old and somewhat dated, which might not be appreciated by everyone but it has alot of soul and character. During our 5 day stay both our room and the public areas of Lancrigg were kept clean and tidy. The bed in our room was soft and very comfortable to sleep in.

We are a couple in the thirties from Sweden and we would definitely go back.

If you go to the Lake District it might be good to know that the buses are quite expensive and have limited timetables. (August 2013)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

We have returned to the Lancrigg year after year. It provides a cosy, clean and relaxing environment. The truly lovely owners and staff always have a smile for you and nothing is ever too much trouble. The food is innovative and delicious and being a vegan, there is always lots of choice. We have been to the Lancrigg in all seasons, each offering a different experience, but all equally amazing with memorable views in a tranquil location hidden away in a quieter part of the Lake District. Only a 10 minute walk takes you into what in my opinion is the prettiest village in the Lakes, Grasmere and somewhat less busy with unique shops and cafes filled with charm and local characters...
When life is hectic, we pause, think a while and always come to the same conclusion.. we need look no further than a few days at the Lancrigg. As you enter the drive leading up to the charming property, deer can often be seen only a couple of metres away, the large old trees, and rolling river enchant you and before you know it, the stress of modern day life has vanished. '

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Stayed in the Larch room at Kitty crag house a few minutes walk away. Beautiful room with stunning views. Enjoyed the walk through the woods to the main hotel for breakfast (or you can drive instead). Breakfast is lovely and with the room excellent value. Dinner was good- partners meal choice superb, mine simple but tasty. Staff are friendly, owner very accommodating and helpful. Our second visit, looking forward to the next one.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

It's my idea of heaven to stay within walking distance of the stunning Easedale Tarn while enjoying the best vegetarian cuisine in a genuinely characterful hotel, steeped in lakeland history. Lancrigg is refreshingly homely and personalized with some of the most imaginative vegetarian and vegan cooking I've found anywhere. NOT for the corporate traveller seeking sanitized standardised perfection - this is a real place for real people, with an elegance and charm all of it's own. Ourr 9 year-old daughter loved it too!

1 Thank Theo S