“A serious damp problem”
Review of The Lancrigg

The Lancrigg
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 13 September 2013 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a very beautiful setting, with breath taking views. If it hadn't have been for the location we would have walked out. The room was riddled with damp, mildew up the walls and the whole building smelt stale. Dated, worn furnishing. Service was at times good, others indifferent. Food was excellent. No 'did you have a nice stay'. At this price I would expect extras in the room, even simply a few biscuits. Coffee cups were dirty, bath needed washing before we got in. Missing the attention to detail.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Claireg74
sequoya, Owner at The Lancrigg, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2013

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a better experience and had you mentioned anything during your stay we would have been able to do something. The problem you noticed referred to a small area behind the free standing bath and curtain in your room and was found to be due to the extractor fan not working properly causing increased condensation. This fan has been replaced and the offending area redecorated.
We are sorry that we were not given a chance to do anything to increase your satisfaction at the time rather than read it here, firstly some weeks ago and now again. We would not expect anyone to stay on in a room if it was as you describe and yet, as you put in your first review, you stayed two nights without mentioning anything. We take such things seriously and after a thorough inspection of all walls in all rooms we eventually identified the problem which was not easy to spot. A mention would have been appreciated!
If a room has not been fully serviced or if anything is missing or untoward, we would expect to be informed at the time via a word to myself or any of our friendly staff so that we could make amends as there is not a lot we can do for you now and we don’t even know who you are. Regarding the bath or any other concern a mention would have seen this promptly attended at your convenience or another room offered. We were training new staff in servicing rooms and one had a misconception and we apologise for any oversights. I am pleased to say that a close inspection of all bathrooms, tiles and grouting in all 14 bathrooms found them all to be virtually spotless and although we are very strict in the servicing procedures, sometimes things can be missed and we always attend to these in a friendly way if they are brought to our attention. We have also replaced the bedside lampshades referred to in your previous review as we had not noticed that one was slightly crazed. After our busiest period ever we have been very busy upgrading many things around the hotel and hope that if you come again you will not be disappointed.
Again we are sorry that you did not enjoy all aspects of your stay and that you gave us no chance to do anything for you at the time.
Robert Whittington and the team

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Another return to the Lancrigg Hotel, this time for my husbands birthday.
As always, it was fabulous. The food delicious, the accomodation individual and very comfortable, the staff friendly, helpful & efficient and the setting amazing.
On this occasion, we had the flask & flapjack offered to walkers for £2! This is usually great value but, on this occasion after a few miles of steep ascent to Fairfield, we were rewarded with an amazingly delicious chocolate covered flapjack :-)
We would, and do, recommend this hotel to everybody,vegetarian or not.
All in all, It is a very special place.

Room Tip: All the rooms are individual and you need to look at the website to see which suits you best.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for returning to Lancrigg and taking the time to write this lovely review. Great to hear you enjoyed that flap jack on Fairfield – the recipe is our favourite ever, (and a bit of a secret!) Indeed, on those rare occasions we get the time off from running a hotel the thought of having some at the top of a mountain is what helps us get up there! You can imagine my popularity once on the summit of Helvellyn my wife said pass me the flap jack and I replied I thought you had it….
We are glad you enjoyed all the aspects of Lancrigg which make it a different and special place and myself and all the staff look forward to welcoming you back to Lancrigg in the near future.
Robert Whittington and the team

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Excellent food, great service and fantastic location. Very nice room with huge comfortable bed(Juniper in Kitty Crag). Beautiful walk to hotel through woodland where we saw red squirrels and a family of deer. Would definitely go again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2013

All the reviews and photos just cannot do justice to how wonderful Lancrigg is. It has an atmosphere of calm which takes you over from the moment you arrive. I rarely feel at home in an unknown place but walking into Lancrigg was like walking into a perfect world of friendliness, peace and tranquility. The buildings, the grounds and the stunning situation contribute to this atmosphere, as do the fabulous staff who, without exception, did their utmost to make our stay as carefree and easy as possible. It really didn't feel like a holiday in the traditional sense but more of an unimaginably beautiful stay in a heavenly dream. And if all this wasn't enough, the meals were easily the most divine vegetarian food I have ever tasted in fifteen years of being vegetarian. The menu is inventive, varied, fresh and a real treat for any palate. Leaving after three days was such a wrench, it felt like leaving home. If you like peace, old world charm and a welcoming atmosphere I doubt you will find anywhere to top Lancrigg.

Room Tip: Everywhere is perfectly quiet here but to feel even more secluded choose a room at Kitty Crag and en...
Reviewed 2 September 2013

This is a lovely victorian or earlier house in a great country location with walks from the front door up on to Helm Crag or up past Easdale Tarn. There are lawns and seating in front of the house with lovely rural views contributing to a very relaxing atmosphere. We have stayed here twice separated by two years, and both times the food was excellent with a good choice of dishes. I am not vegetarian but the variety and presentation of the dishes meant it was no sacrifice to miss meat for a change. This applied to both breakfast and the evening meal.

The wine list was pricey but we were fortunate in that there were some bin ends available at reasonable rates, and which proved perfectly good.

If you are looking for a traditional victorian country house atmosphere in a lovely location, then I recommend the hotel.

Room Tip: We stayed in Nightingale which was booked through LateRooms. I wouldn't particularly recommend t...
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I'm not vegetarian in fact I have extolled the virtues of meat to my vegetarian wife on many occasion!
However I have to say that I do know a great plate of food, I would like to think I'm not a slouch in the kitchen too, but when presented with food of this standard I recognise just how vain and lacking in talent I am.
When I get the chance to savour something from a new source I like to order something I otherwise would not eat, you know if I want curry I go to an Asian or indian restaurant so at a vegetarian restaurant I ordered food I wouldn't make myself. Horses for courses.
I would like to say what I had was spot on. So much flavour, the combinations of texture and flavour were so good that if only I could produce food of this standard myself or find it readily eating out I would convert to a vegetarian diet tomorrow!
Unfortunately not all vegetarian options are in this league so I will remain omnivorous for now but I am so looking forward to returning here for more excellent repast.

Room Tip: This house was frequented by the wordsworths, down to the gardens it is historic in extreme sleep wi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having visited Lancrigg every year for the past six years just for lunch, when we arranged a last-minute spur of the moment trip I was so excited. For once, everything turned out to be as magical as I hoped. The house itself is steeped in character, sure it's not new and there are idiosyncrasies that could be improved upon, but this historical home is a wonderful source of inspiration. Everything about the attitude of the staff makes you feel as though you are welcome, and they were wonderful with my children, ages 5 and 6.
We stayed in the Booth Richardson room, had an amazing dinner and breakfast - I noted the clean plates at all tables, not just ours - and wandered around the gardens and landscape as though time no longer mattered. I would like to thank the owners and staff for working so hard to create an idyll and a respite from the crazy demands of modern life. Longing to return again already!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family