Having stayed previously, I was expecting fabulous food and old fashioned style and service. It's been a few years since I stayed and unfortunately there things have changed for the worse. The hotel looks tired and dated- I know it is meant to be historic in styling but it looks scrappy and uncared for. We had chipboard tables in our room hidden by pink cloths, not what would have been expected. The breakfast used to be a vast spread of continental style fare followed by a delicious cooked breakfast.No longer! You have to order a specific item of continental breakfast then an item of cooked. The cooked options come with a ring of pesto on the plate- not what I want at breakfast an my order was incorrect. The burger was sloppy and the potato cake, just a blob of mash. All topped off with a fly in the milk! I've had better breakfast in budget hotels. The dinner menu looked amazing, a fantastic range of vegetarian food. The actual food though, was an extreme disappointment. Poorly presented and not very tasty.
It's a shame as Lancrigg could be fantastic. The scenery is lovely and the hotel could be very special, especially given the vegetarian menu. It seems though it's relying on old country charm which is now more out of date and tired than charming. Sadly, it will be my last trip there as there are superior stays elsewhere, with better food, for less money.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Lancrigg Hotel is set in the totally peaceful and picturesque valley of Easedale, 1/2 mile from Grasmere. The accommodation is comfortable and relaxing and makes a wonderful escape from a busy world. The house has many connections with past and present writers, artists and musicians. The Lancrigg is open to residents and non-residents with a fantastic variety of refreshments available and a lunch menu served from 12pm until 4:30pm. The restaurant is available from 6pm to 9pm, booking is reccomended. The Lancrigg is currently a vegetarian Hotel (vegan option available), however we are currently undergoing renovation to offer a flexitarian menu(still vegetarian but with fish and meat available) and a fully stocked bar will be following soon. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Priceline so you can book your The Lancrigg Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lancrigg Vegetarian Country Hotel
- Lancrigg Vegetarian Country Grasmere
- The Lancrigg Hotel Grasmere, Lake District