All reviewsvegetarian foodvegetarian hoteleasedale tarnmeat eaterscountry houselake districtdining roomfour poster bedhelm cragpeace and quietopen firehotel groundsbeautiful surroundingsred squirrelsevening mealwonderful foodnew owners
Reviewed 2 January 2018

The Lancrigg Hotel is brilliantly located for walks around the beautiful Easedale Tarn, whilst still being convenient for the centre of Grasmere. We went between Christmass and New Year and enjoyed the dinner and breakfast in this cosey if a little quirky hotel that is made by the friendliness of everyone involved in running the hotel. Thank you for contributing to a lovely break

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank AlanP1516
Reviewed 30 December 2017

My wife booked this hotel so we could be in a place we love (Grasmere) and they willingly accepted dogs. We stayed with our 2 teenage boys and 2 dogs for 3 nights.

Frankly speaking the hotel is quirky, but for our stay it all work out well. There were things that could have gone wrong (like no hot water in one of the rooms, but being able to use 1 bathroom did not bother us).

Ramon is the kindest most positive hotel manager cum restaurant manager, waiter, bar tender, house maid & maintenance man. His team are smiley and kind albeit in a learning phase.

We loved the location at the foot of the fell in beautiful grounds, this really is an amazing location. No wonder Wordsworth and Dorothy were regular visitors and Wordsworth dictated and Dorothy transcribed the musings whilst they were walking around the ancient woods.

We have very happy memories of our stay and if you go with the flow then this hotel is a gem.

I am unsure of the ownership, however my advise to the owners is invest a little more in staff so they can be more capable in their kitchen timings and some room modernization is a little over due. Do these 2 simple things and I think this hotel will be fully booked.

To Ramon : your a fab chap who makes the hotel. Keep being positive and brilliant.

Room Tip: Azalea had great hot water !
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Blackminkey
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I really don’t want to write a bad review as I’m so fond of this place but I felt the manger should be aware of how the customer feels .

My boyfriend had booked this hotel as a surprise as my parents brought us here every year as kids . It’s always been a little quirky and not known for its modern comforts , however the food was amazing and the family run business was homely and comforting .

Unfortunately when you take away the good food and the hotels reputation your just left with a run down hotel which to note is expensive and just run really really “ weirdly “ .

The manager is charming and passionate however he is running a one man band badly . My reference to “ weird “ service rendered me speechless when my boyfriend had to write down his order on a note pad to take back to the kitchen , this was particularly concerning when he wrote I’m “Celiac please come out and discuss the menu “

In all fairness the manager had purchased some gluten free bread and porridge however our confidence wasn’t in the waiting staff .

I would love to say the evening meal we where served was on par with the amazing food the hotel used to serve ..... I can’t even say it was ok . There are no words to describe just how bad our meal was so I’ll leave it there .......

We went to bed with some pricy but nice wine from the new bar ( which is a nice new touch ) . Only to find out there wasn’t any hot water nor did the tv work .

We changed rooms to a room which was fine with hot water , but after such an underwhelming evening all the dated decor , lack of tv reception and storage heaters no longer seemed very endearing .

Now I don’t want to go on and on as breakfast was equally “ weird “ and again no words can describe how bad it was without me being very rude .

When we came to check out the lovely manager gave us a discount for having to change rooms which we where very happy about as it paid the the terrible evening meal which we decided not to mention as he was trying to make it up to us .

This place could be amazing but it was built on a fantastic reputation which others simply can’t match up to .

My advice would be spend some money on the place and hire some proper staff !

Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Kim V
Lancrigg, Manager at The Lancrigg, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2017

Dear Kim,

Thanks for your feedback. I will apologies, as the staff was in training and they are learning about the different allergies. We do all the best to provide the best service, welcome the customers to feel like at home and I'm apologies it wasn't your feeling.
The owner is in processes to upgrade the place with the central heating and the boiler for the issue of the hot water, as the hotel is a old historic building and a country house it's still with the old system.

I will be happy if you can give me a ring and try our new menu next year.

We will wish you a lovely Christmas and Happy 2018.

With regards,
Remo Donatoni

Reviewed 21 December 2017

When we visited there was a new management who apparently had taken over not long before, so they were probably having some teething problems or getting to know the business - that might help explain our main criticisms. The positives are that this is in a wonderful setting, even when it is torrential rain. Out of Grasmere about a mile (walk from busstop or you can drive your car there with very good parking) but on direct route to some terrific walks right outside the door. Which is why you would think they are well equipped for walkers with maps, details of conditions, paths, directions etc. They hadn't a clue. The nearest they came was to print us off some walks around the village. I don't think they even understood people come there to go walking. They have no knowledge of the local area. The room we were in had illfitting windows which let in wind and rain and only an electric convection heater to warm the place (they tell us they will put in new windows soon and heating, but I am not sure when). The service in the restaurant was sooooo slow and the waitress who seemed to be on duty most of the time was way out of her depth, with skills that might work in a café where they just serve tea but not for a fine food restaurant. There was some fine food (if you can wait long enough for it) but also so extremely odd behaviours - like the salt on the toast at breakfast (you can't make your own toast), only earl grey tea available, like Asian spices in the scrambled egg even when say put no spices in. Supposed to have wifi but most of the time this did not work and even when it did was likely to cut out. Same true of television. There was a staff member just stared who seemed to have good skills and know precisely how a hotel should be run but she was having a hard time making this clear to the other staff - like suggesting the table cloths should be ironed and people should be told why their orders are taking so long and that they should actually write down what someone did order and how they wanted it prepared etc etc. The prices at the bar were extortionate, but this probably just reflects the rip-off process around Lake District. For setting we would come again definitely. If it's the same staff though (apart from the one there trying to train the others) we would definitely avoid it. Best to enquire first before you book if they have upgraded the windows and heating and find out what is on their menus.

Room Tip: Room overlooking gardens and valley is best
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank TripperKlaus
Lancrigg, Manager at The Lancrigg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Dear Tripperklaus,

Thanks for your review. As always we take the opinion of our customers to improve the service in the future and make your stay more enjoyable is possible. I believe your review is regarding couple of months ago when I just started to work in The Lancrigg. I'm apologise that I didn't help you with the directions about the area at that time but we are always happy to print out the maps or the details of the best locations for our customers. Unfortunately during your stay was a very busy time and the staff done the best to provide a great service and delivery the right service to the customers, now we have a well trained staff and even the meals had a nice revisitation. We will be happy to see you again and I can guarantee you will enjoy your stay the next time.
For any info or enquiry I will be always available to help you at anytime.

We will wish you a lovely Christmas and Happy New Year.

Regards,

Remo Donatoni

Reviewed 3 December 2017

Our first trip to Lake District and we were looking for a place to stay that is tranquil and away from the hustle and bustle. The Lancrigg Hotel fitted the bill perfectly. The hotel is about a kilometer off the main road so having your own transport helps. We also chose it because Grasmere is smack in the centre of the Lake District, with easy access to all directions. If your plans are not fully firmed up, staying in the centre seems logical.

We stayed 4D3N in a family room with two single bed downstairs and a queen four poster bed upstairs. Rooms, sheets and bathrooms were clean and it is a beautiful country hotel with pleasing views outside. Felt very relaxed during the stay there. It's a small hotel so you won't find a huge crowd here.

Staff are very friendly and helpful esp. Remus, the hotel manager, who triple hats as the vegan chef and receptionist. He goes out of his way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. We ever only saw Remus and a young waitress, so the hotel is a bit understaffed and the excellent service at the restaurant can be slow but if your purpose is to relax, it is no big deal.

The food is also excellent and we ate at the hotel for 2 nights. Price is reasonable.

We had a wonderful time in Lake District despite the wet English weather and the hotel complemented our experience.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family