“lovely meal out”

Ash Cottage
Price range: US$8 - US$16
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Ash Cottage Hotel, sister of the Grasmere Red Lion Hotel. Set in the Heart of Grasmere, Ash Cottage Hotel enjoys the most outstanding & breath-taking views of the ever changing surrounding landscapes. We offer superior accommodation & full use of all of our sister Hotel, the Grasmere Red Lion Hotel's, facilities directly opposite. Ash Cottage is the perfect local to be able to explore nature's outstanding beauty & central to the rest of the Lake District. Grasmere is Cumbria's most popular Village and the Ash Cottage Hotel is set in the centre, bringing you into a haven of peace & tranquillity. Dine as the fancy takes you... our Courtyard Restaurant serves the pick of the Lake District Larder. For local ales and tasty bar meals nip next door to the snug Lamb Inn, our traditional village pub, the only one in the village. The Glass House conservatory bar, café & restaurant provides great food with beautiful views, or enjoy our traditional bar meals from Ash Cottage itself. You will be spoilt for choice. At our luxury Lakeland hotel we provide you with all you could wish for, richly furnished, beautifully appointed rooms in which to unwind, two large outdoor seating areas to relax after a wonderful day's walk and friendly service to bring you refreshment while you drink in the Lakeland panorama. Boasting a gorgeous indoor heated pool, enjoy a morning dip before breakfast or a gentle early evening swim, between hiking the great outdoors and sitting down to dinner. If on the other hand your visit is of a business nature, we offer you the space and time to think in a completely fresh setting. Here at the Ash Cottage Hotel & Grasmere Red Lion Hotel you can get away from the everyday routine and enjoy a different view of conferencing.
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“lovely meal out”
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We enjoyed a lovely meal, with music to entertain us. Music was a touch too loud as back ground, but the singer had a good voice. Everyone around seemed to be enjoying it. Food was reasonably priced, I enjoyed the lakeland lamb and my partner the steak pie. We both felt too full for puds!! good atmosphere with a few locals at the bar. Would recommend and would go again.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Middy1311

dublin
“A real gem!”
Reviewed 17 August 2012 via mobile

This is not the cosy English pub you would expect from the outside but the food is really good value and very tasty. We ate there on a holiday to the lake district and enjoyed it so much we ate there the following night also. Steak and ale pie is lovely and the rump steak was excellent!

1 Thank Kashla
Edinburgh
“Surprising ... very good food”
Reviewed 26 July 2012

We stopped here one evening as we were looking for ordinary pub grub. I agree with the previous reviewer - the decor is a bit strange and could do with being refreshed. We ate in the bar - there is a restaurant but it was empty. The food was excellent. I was surprised at how good it was. I had the steak pie which was really good with lovely meat in it and then I had homemade sticky toffee pudding which again, was lovely - light and delicious. It was quite busy when we were there so looked like a popular place. I think if they sorted it out and revamped the decor it would be a great place. Not sure if they need the restaurant - with such good food in the pub section they'd be better extending that so they can seat more people in a nice pub environment.

• Visited July 2012
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Poor Lunchtime Meal”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

My partner and I had been walking in the area and decided to stop in Grasmere for some food. Unfortunately we chose to eat here rather than any of the nice looking cafes. The outside of the building is lovely but inside is an odd mismatch of 50's diner with horrible black seating areas combined with old fashioned pictures of the lake district. My partners gammon was overcooked and the chips were obviously bought in frozen. The bread for my sandwich was slightly stale, but the cajon fries that came with it were ok (although obviously frozen again). The place could just be so much better, get some proper home cooking going on!

• Visited June 2012
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Little Britain”
Reviewed 22 September 2011

One dreary September day my wife and I took our two dear children to meet relatives in this beautiful part of the world, an area in which I had spent so much of my youth but have not returned to for sadly many years. We met at the Travel Lodge opposite Ash cottage and spent a lovely family day there shooting the breeze and dodging the torrential rainthat had beset the day, under the watchful gaze of the beautiful mountain back drop , busy doing nothing. During a brief rain interlude we decided to have a little walk through the beautiful Lakeland stone cottages to find somewhere nice for dinner. Surely to compliment and give thanks to such a place which Mother Nature has so beautifully furnished one would find the highest quality local fayre as one expects when one travels through such areas in France, Switzerland and Italy. The town was deathly quiet under steely slate grey skies, the heavy rain having quickly despatched all but the hardiest of visitor. Being short of time we entered the Ash Cottage Hotel.The decor is modern, American 50's dineresque and functional.There were three people in the bar, a couple with their young son, and two people in the restaurant. We approached the bar lady ' Good evening, could we please have a table for 6', with nearly a flicker of a smile at the corners of her mouth ( or it might have been wind)... 'No childrens please...' can the rapid retort.... 'Sorry...' 'yes please very sorry we hafing no childrens in restaurant'. My two girls are 9 and 16, they have travelled all over the world with us we have eaten in some over the finest restaurants and never had an issue'... 'Very sorry, no childrens this is rules...' 'can I see the mamager'...'yes please'... Off she trotted and 5 minuted later she returned with what I thought was one of the unkempt Little Britain cast, whom I presumed was the manager. I asked him why I could not bring my family into the retaurant for dinner....' no children thats the rules...' 'But we have been all over the world and have never ever been refused entry to a restaurant with the children, and the place is dead whay harm could they do. They are well behaved I told him and he had my cast iron guarantee that they would be no problem to his single other diner. 'No thats the rules, like it or lump it'.... 'but what about the the man at the bar busy quaffing several pints of Stella with his son of about the same age as my youngest (obviously a local)?'..... 'Thats the rules.' was the curt retort
I fully appreciate that not everybody likes to go out for dinner and for there to be chuldren present... especially if they are ill behaved ill manned and out of control, I'm sure we have all been in this situation, but these are the exception and the rule is proven by the many many familes with children like mine who can conduct themselves to a very high standards in any enviroment. In short this made me feel that little small minded Britain is still alive and kicking. If you are looking for a place which appears to be a cross between Fawlty Towers and Little Britain this could be what you've been looking for! Dont go there for dinner with children; turn right infront of the place and go to the little Italian restaurant a mile further down the road, good food, good atmosphere welcoming and as all Italian restraunts should be... family friendly!

16 Thank Graham A