“WILF'S CAFE GRASMERE”

Dining options: Breakfast
strathclyde
“WILF'S CAFE GRASMERE”
Reviewed 30 July 2013

The outside is very unprepossessing but step inside and its a different matter. Its bright with art for sale on the walls. There is plenty of seating and it offers a varied menu and reasonable prices. As we only wanted a snack we both had toasted teacakes with butter and jam. Together with a pot of tea and a cafetiere of good coffee this came to just over £7. The teacakes were huge and this was excellent value. The staff were efficient and we were served quickly. I would not hesitate to recommend. The front entrance may be a bit tricky if you are disabled but there is a level disabled access round the corner.

1 Thank thetwowanderers

Wales, United Kingdom
“don't let the outside put you off!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

From the outside of this cafe we didn't think there would be much to commend it but we were wrong! We had a cold drink and a sandwich (which included crisps and salad) in very pleasant surroundings after looking round Dove Cottage. There should be a 'good' category because this was better than average but not quite 'very good'. I understand about the comments relating to the staff, the person who served us was business like rather than friendly but hey, all we wanted was some light refreshment which was served promptly and well.

Ulverston, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff fantastic food”
Reviewed 24 July 2013 via mobile

Me my husband and our 2 sons ending up eating here after first looking in 3 other cafes in the centre of grasmere. All 3 were extortionally priced and didn't seem to have children's menus. The young lady who served us, both behind the counter when I ordered my food and also when she brought the food out was very polite, I opted for the hot chicken Salad which I would happily have again whilst my husband went for the breakfast, which he said he enjoyed, there were some books availible for children and these came in handy for entertaining our 1 And 4 year olds. The food came out quickly and there was plenty of it would defiantly recommend and revisit if we were to come to grasmere again. May even have a visit to the stavley one to see if they can do it as good as grasmere did

Keswick, United Kingdom
“where were the smiling staff?”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

have always been happy with the stavely cafe and been to this one a couple of times.
salad which had half a plate of watermelon and what seemed to be left over spaghetti in tomato sauce?
parsnip soup on a hot summers day along with a humous sandwich which was large white soft bap with humous and nothing else inside?
worse than the food was the service which was not at all welcoming despite a dearth of cusomers - lacklustre at best.

Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
“Free parking - if you eat in the cafe.”
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I knew about Wilf's cafe at Staveley but this one at Grasmere was a surprise. Situated in a period building adjacent to the Wordsworth Museum and Dove Cottage it has a car park outside. This is managed by the Wordsworth Trust but the cafe has an agreement that it will refund the £1 parking fee for diners - catch is, you only have one hour from when you place your order, not three. This car park can be a bit tight especially as it caters for coaches full of tourists as well, however there is another car park across the busy road (take care here).
OK, let's get back to the cafe - it's quite roomy inside and they will allow well behaved dogs in.
The tables and chairs are fairly rustic but the plain decor is enhanced by artwork which is for sale. The menu is mainly vegetarian but they do a 'normal' breakfast for carnivores. I'm definitely a carnivore but, as it was very inclement weather, I opted for 'Wilf's Famous Veggie Chilli' to warm me up and was well pleased. The chilli (surprisingly hot and sporting a delicious melted cheese topping) came in a separate pot and was accompanied by an amazingly huge salad. Normally, I would moan about this but not in this case - it was delicious! Service was helpful and fairly speedy, too. Prices are very reasonable for such a tourist hot spot.

• Visited June 2013