“Relaxing luxury break in Grasmere”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Daffodil for our anniversary. I'm not into the traditional old fashioned style hotels & b&bs you usually find in the Lakes so when I saw the pictures on the hotel website I knew we had to try it.
We had a lovely room with a juliet balcony looking out towards the lake and the hills beyond. The bed was comfortable if a little soft for me, and the bathroom had a lovely big bath and a powerful shower. I always think it`s the little things that make the difference in hotels like this - and the Molton Brown minis in the bathroom, complimentary bottled water and greetings card wishing us a happy anniversary left in our room were all small touches that I loved!
The service was excellent, especially in the restaurant where staff were attentive and friendly. The food was really good too - buffet style breakfast with locally sourced produce, and a good choice of dishes for dinner.
I agree with other reviewers in that the lounge area is lacking in atmosphere slightly, the layout and the fact that it`s a seperate room to the bar make it feel a bit like a waiting room. On the plus side from where we sat in the lounge we had a great view down onto the patio area, where a couple of wayward sheep had wandered up and were peering through the ground floor windows.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

1  Thank isitjustmeme
There are newer reviews for The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 7 May 2013

Empty, lifeless and clinically minimalistic. Approaching the check in, we thought it was still being finished off! The service was attentive on reception but when we entered the room it was cold, bare not at all as we'd imagined. It felt and looked like a Travel Lodge without the comfort of knowing it was just as good value. It had a silly little lamp on a coffee table in the corner and the complimentary coffee sachets are the silliest little contraptions I've ever come across. My partner and I, who incidentally have spent half of our career in the Hotel and Catering industry, were angry at being charged extortionate prices for staying in a very unextraodinary room. they could at least left us complimentary dressing gowns and extra bathroom products, ie, cotton wool buds,sewing kit, tissues and no renewal of toiletries on the second day! All this might sound trivial but these are the little things that matter, 'The Finishing Touches'!!
Breakfast was a buffet. We are used to and prefer waitress service.
I also tried the Spa experience and opted for a facial which was very good then a back and shoulder massage by a Polish lady. That was not the best I've had and it was rushed.
If you ever want a fab time in typical Lakes style, head for The Drunken Duck at Barngates! They seem to have it right!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked this Hotel very last minute, we have never been to Grasmere or the Hotel and after seeing the website I was hopeful for the Hotel to deliver!
Wow did it ever!
Reception is lovely, spotless (as is the entire place, trust me I'm very fussy!) bright and airy and the staff are friendly and professional.
We had a valley view room 110, and even though we had the car park in front of us the views were absolutely breath taking and well worth looking past the cars for.
The rooms are airy, fresh and modern and absolutely spotless, the linens are a high standard as are the pillows, huge bed, big French doors, lots of plug sockets, the most powerful shower I have ever used, high end fixtures and fittings throughout, funky carpets oh I could go on, its fab!
Its not a bling hotel or over the top glamour, I cant decide on the look they have gone for but its fresh and works very well.
The Spa is lovely, it has the biggest steam room I have ever seen, sauna and a lovely hydrotherapy pool, not huge but very nice.
We had the Mud rasul which is lovely and relaxing for couples and I highly recommend it.
The restaurant is lovely, I would book and ask for a lake view table, we didn't ask for one but in future I will as the views are beautiful. there are pictures all over the walls of British stars which is quirky, the food is of a high standard, not huge portions just right, the wine menu is extensive and may be just a little over priced, however I recommend number 59.
The sitting room is too quiet and open, we didn't feel we could relax in there, it was just to hushed not at all vibrant or fun which is a same.
Breakfast was buffet style but you can order eggs cooked your way along with smoked salmon, veggie options, haddock a much more. You must try the little yogurt pots with passion fruit and mango and the granola topped one, they are very nice. The sausage and bacon is great and the service relaxed.
We will return and I really hope the standard stays the same and the place keeps its shine, by that I mean its newness, it isn't quite 12 months old yet and it still feels very new and fresh and this needs to continue.
Grasmere village is a 5 minute stroll away and is a beautiful village, well worth an afternoon if you can drag yourself out of the spa.
Thanks for a relaxing and very fab stay!

Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel ideally located. Staff very friendly from check in to departure. Restaurant lovely although not much choice on the evening menu what they do have is nice. Good choice of wines to suit everyone. Breakfast plentiful & beautifully presented. We'll be back. Thank you

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Totally ace stay! Service from the moment you arrive second to none. Booked direct through website with dinner and b&b and cheaper than discount sites. Room was stunning with the only full balcony looking over the lake! Breakfast awesome and evening meals great. Mixture of clientele kept it interesting! Had flowers on arrival cheap for what you get real nice touch! Had man treatment in spa and now understand why women love facials! Ignore negatives as given by others! Read hem and you see them, but when you think on you realise you just need to chill and enjoy he experience! Will be back!

Reviewed 4 May 2013

This is our first visit to this hotel and area. We arrived on a Thursday ,check in was speedy and professional , reception area was formal,spacious and clean. Our room was facing the valley. It was clean,decent size and very modern to the point of been sheek. Bathroom had both bath and a very powerfull shower. Again clean with molten products and high quality loo paper.TV was the latest slimline of decent size. Our bed was PERFECT the best nights sleep for a very long time. Hotel was quite I did not here a sound from outsize.
Restaurant is on the first floor, we had a table overlooking the lake. The waiters were trained well ,the service was good , my wife had the salmon for starters and veal for main course and she loved both dishes. I had the soup and lamb chops. Soup was served in a very small bowl with a couple of sour dough breads on the side. I thought it should have been served in a larger bowl. But it tasted good.The lamb was dry. It was cooked in the oven or salamander grill instead of chargrill which would have left it more juicy. Dessert good as was coffee.
Next day breakfast was buffee arrangement . The quality was obvious, sausages yummy, plenty of selections and bread home made. Service excellent with plenty of staff .
Dinner second night was way better then first. My wife had prawn starter and steak and ale pie and I had the (dare I say it ) soup and fish and chips. The menu was the same for both nights. Again good but not outstanding. However the service was excellent.
Negative side , they have huge grounds around the building that seems to not fit in with the hotel in that there are still rubble , glass and plastic bits here and there. The grounds are very plain.
Just to add if you are here for the walking as we were. It starts right across the street next to the coffee shop.its called the coffin trail, follow it for a mile then cross the road this leads you to a river follow the river for a couple of miles it leads you to a lake which then brings you back to the hotel. Easy walk very scenic.

Overall this is a brand new hotel with the latest gadgets. Super staff that have been trained to a very high standard. I would definetly return here. A very peacefull two nights.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious ,super clean, HD TV . BEST bed ever.
3  Thank GezenBey
Reviewed 30 April 2013

BEWARE £500 taken from your card when you stay at this hotel me and my wife stayed here we are both non smokers and yet they told us our room smelled of smoke when we left and was charged £500 please do not stay here the rooms are dity to

Room Tip: DO NOT stay here they rip you off
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Paul A
OwnerBrady, Owner at The Daffodil Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear Paul A

As we discussed on the phone I have charged you £500.00 because of the damage caused to your bedroom during your stay. You had clearly been smoking in your bedroom as there was an overwhelming smell of tobacco when we entered your room. The cigarette burns in the carpet, which you tried to hide under the bin, will require us to replace the carpet. We will also have to discard all of the blood stained towels that you kindly left for us. In addition the Suite was out of service for three days resulting in room moves and compensation for other guests.

We clearly state that we are a non-smoking hotel and the potential charges, should this policy be ignored, are clearly outlined in our guest folder.

Such charges are only made when at least three Managers at the hotel agree that this damage has taken place during your stay. On this occasion I inspected your room personally and was quite shocked by what I found. I understand now why you would not let housekeeping enter your room during your stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!