“A romantic break”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Bury, United Kingdom
“A romantic break”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Treated the hubby to a much needed valentine weekend away. Beautifully appointed hotel with friendly staff. Indeed the handy man gave us some great ideas for things to do in the area. A quick 10 minute walk and you found yourself in Grasmere village, step out of the front door and over the road and you are at the Wordsworth museum The food was plentiful and tasty served quickly and efficiently by knowledgeable waitresses and waiters. Pricey but well worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room, tranquil scenery to wake up to.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (566)
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here for 1 night at the start of may & let me say what a beautiful hotel. Do not listen to bad reviews if stylish modern & clean is your thing then this hotel is perfect for you. Very handy location close to Ambleside Keswick etc. & a lovely sun terrace where we sat out with drinks. We had a lake view room and for the price we paid £165, I thought this was brilliant value as we got a full Cumbrian breakfast a lovely room & use of the spa which is one of the best I have been to in the Lake District. This hotel needs to be put on the map where it deserves to be as a must say when visiting the Lake District. Only slight downside was the price of drinks in the hotel but this is standard in any hotel & I certainly would not let it spoil my stay.
Thanks daffodil

• Stayed May 2013
Newcastle
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a two night stay at the Daffodil for our anniversary. I'm not into the traditional old fashioned style hotels & b&bs you usually find in the Lakes so when I saw the pictures on the hotel website I knew we had to try it.
We had a lovely room with a juliet balcony looking out towards the lake and the hills beyond. The bed was comfortable if a little soft for me, and the bathroom had a lovely big bath and a powerful shower. I always think it`s the little things that make the difference in hotels like this - and the Molton Brown minis in the bathroom, complimentary bottled water and greetings card wishing us a happy anniversary left in our room were all small touches that I loved!
The service was excellent, especially in the restaurant where staff were attentive and friendly. The food was really good too - buffet style breakfast with locally sourced produce, and a good choice of dishes for dinner.
I agree with other reviewers in that the lounge area is lacking in atmosphere slightly, the layout and the fact that it`s a seperate room to the bar make it feel a bit like a waiting room. On the plus side from where we sat in the lounge we had a great view down onto the patio area, where a couple of wayward sheep had wandered up and were peering through the ground floor windows.
Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely return.

1 Thank isitjustmeme
heswall
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Empty, lifeless and clinically minimalistic. Approaching the check in, we thought it was still being finished off! The service was attentive on reception but when we entered the room it was cold, bare not at all as we'd imagined. It felt and looked like a Travel Lodge without the comfort of knowing it was just as good value. It had a silly little lamp on a coffee table in the corner and the complimentary coffee sachets are the silliest little contraptions I've ever come across. My partner and I, who incidentally have spent half of our career in the Hotel and Catering industry, were angry at being charged extortionate prices for staying in a very unextraodinary room. they could at least left us complimentary dressing gowns and extra bathroom products, ie, cotton wool buds,sewing kit, tissues and no renewal of toiletries on the second day! All this might sound trivial but these are the little things that matter, 'The Finishing Touches'!!
Breakfast was a buffet. We are used to and prefer waitress service.
I also tried the Spa experience and opted for a facial which was very good then a back and shoulder massage by a Polish lady. That was not the best I've had and it was rushed.
If you ever want a fab time in typical Lakes style, head for The Drunken Duck at Barngates! They seem to have it right!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I booked this Hotel very last minute, we have never been to Grasmere or the Hotel and after seeing the website I was hopeful for the Hotel to deliver!
Wow did it ever!
Reception is lovely, spotless (as is the entire place, trust me I'm very fussy!) bright and airy and the staff are friendly and professional.
We had a valley view room 110, and even though we had the car park in front of us the views were absolutely breath taking and well worth looking past the cars for.
The rooms are airy, fresh and modern and absolutely spotless, the linens are a high standard as are the pillows, huge bed, big French doors, lots of plug sockets, the most powerful shower I have ever used, high end fixtures and fittings throughout, funky carpets oh I could go on, its fab!
Its not a bling hotel or over the top glamour, I cant decide on the look they have gone for but its fresh and works very well.
The Spa is lovely, it has the biggest steam room I have ever seen, sauna and a lovely hydrotherapy pool, not huge but very nice.
We had the Mud rasul which is lovely and relaxing for couples and I highly recommend it.
The restaurant is lovely, I would book and ask for a lake view table, we didn't ask for one but in future I will as the views are beautiful. there are pictures all over the walls of British stars which is quirky, the food is of a high standard, not huge portions just right, the wine menu is extensive and may be just a little over priced, however I recommend number 59.
The sitting room is too quiet and open, we didn't feel we could relax in there, it was just to hushed not at all vibrant or fun which is a same.
Breakfast was buffet style but you can order eggs cooked your way along with smoked salmon, veggie options, haddock a much more. You must try the little yogurt pots with passion fruit and mango and the granola topped one, they are very nice. The sausage and bacon is great and the service relaxed.
We will return and I really hope the standard stays the same and the place keeps its shine, by that I mean its newness, it isn't quite 12 months old yet and it still feels very new and fresh and this needs to continue.
Grasmere village is a 5 minute stroll away and is a beautiful village, well worth an afternoon if you can drag yourself out of the spa.
Thanks for a relaxing and very fab stay!

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

Lovely hotel ideally located. Staff very friendly from check in to departure. Restaurant lovely although not much choice on the evening menu what they do have is nice. Good choice of wines to suit everyone. Breakfast plentiful & beautifully presented. We'll be back. Thank you

• Stayed May 2013
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Totally ace stay! Service from the moment you arrive second to none. Booked direct through website with dinner and b&b and cheaper than discount sites. Room was stunning with the only full balcony looking over the lake! Breakfast awesome and evening meals great. Mixture of clientele kept it interesting! Had flowers on arrival cheap for what you get real nice touch! Had man treatment in spa and now understand why women love facials! Ignore negatives as given by others! Read hem and you see them, but when you think on you realise you just need to chill and enjoy he experience! Will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#1 of 5 in Newby Bridge
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!