“chilled and relaxed”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This is a stunning hotel, set in a beautiful area of the Lake District. Spotless, clean, friendly and very welcoming. The staff constantly made you feel welcome and couldn't do enough for you, but not over the top. The beds were probably the comfiest I have ever slept in. Food excellent, service a little slow at times. The spa treatments were amazing, and again spotless.
The terrace was great given the stunning weather we are currently having.
Down side, the ground floor bar closed late afternoon, this was disappointing as it is next to the terrace and would have benefited from the weather, they were also running out of some beers. The terrace could also have done with some citronella candles in the evening.The hotel could benefit from a few more staff, as the same people appeared to be there from early morning till late evening.
Overall we will definitely be back and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: all rooms have a view, one side is of the lake the other of the hills
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 July 2013

After staying in a standard room in January,the hotel was doing a birthday bonus as its been open a year so we used the bonus and upgraded to a junior suite with an affordable discount.In January we thought the standard room was something really special, that was until we stayed in the junior suite for 2 nights, it was huge,great comfy bed and pillows,settee ,table and chairs to admire the lakeside view. The thing i liked was the black out curtains. The only thing that diasappointed us was that their wasn't a bath(only 3 rooms in the entire hotel dont have a bath) but we did have a huge double walk in shower that was amazing and recharged the batteries after exploring Gods back garden (The Lake District).
Once again the staff were faultless eager to please and nothing was to much hassle. The breakfast was one of the best and when it comes to a full english im a expert.Even though we didn't eat in the evening i have a friend who stayed a couple of nights before me and they said it was amazing but if you dont fancy eating here which is reasonably priced its only a 5 minute walk into Grasmere where there is a few eateries.
Ok every review has to have a little moan so here's mine, i was really disappointed that the grounds hadnt been landscaped since our last trip in january infact nothing had been done and it still looked like a building site so not a clue whats happening there , but if the grounds had some money spent on it , it would be breathtaking so lets hope by my next visit they might have started something. If walking to the lake side from the hotel stick to the path because at least twice a day we saw about 100 geese come out of the lake and used the garden as their toilet, and goose poo is big and messy, so stick to the path.
Will i be going back to The Daffodil , hell yes, i've stayed at a lot of lake district hotels and this is by far the best , ideal location between windermere and keswick so handy for everything
Thankyou Daffodil and all the staff see you all soon.

Room Tip: cant do this because next time i stay i might not get the room i want
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I have just returned from a weekend staying at the daffodil hotel.From the moment you walk in the reception area is very impressive with a grand piano by the check in desk.The staff greet you with a smile and were very polite.THe room itself was fabulous (we upgraded to a lake view which was worth it )a lovely bathroom with a huge bath and power shower.The food in the restaurant was excellent although a little slow on Saturday evening and breakfast was really good.The spa facilities were first class and not busy at all.IF I had a tiny criticism it would be that the grounds need tidying at little around the hotel.I look forward to another stay here and have no hesitation in recommending this to any .If you want a class hotel in beautiful Grasmere this is the place.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a lake view the scenery is wonderful.
1  Thank martin b
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Coming to the end of a four night stay and once again I am congratulating the staff on their courtesy efficiency and sheer good effort in creating the freindly relaxing atmosphere this hotel has. Given this is the hottest weather we have had since the hotel opened in 2012 the air conditioning has been well and truly tested. While good in the public areas I have found it lacking to a degree in my room. This has been disappointing. Will I be back yes I will.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I really struggle to review this hotel as it has a great deal of potential but there's a certain "something" wrong with it and which I can't quite explain. It's in a great location and a very short walk into Grasmere itself, with lovely views over the lakes and fells but to my mind, is just too contemporary for somewhere as traditional as the Lake District. The bedroom and bathroom were beautiful - comfortable beds, the usual array of tea/coffee making facilities, hairdryer and ironing board and we had a tiny balcony overlooking the fells. The dining room was on the first floor to maximise the view of the lake. Grasmere itself of course is a gorgeous place. Those are the good points...

The service was rather mixed. On arrival, we ordered a sandwich each for lunch with a drink. My request for Britvic orange was met with a blank stare and then when my sandwich arrived, my friend was left without anything. She chased it up to be told "You requested it for a different time" but this was absolutely untrue.

The so called gardens left a lot to be desired and they had bad choices of plants in the borders - it looked as if they'd all been dumped in there in a hurry. The area down by the lake could have had the view maximised by cutting down more of the reeds and possibly making it more even. I noticed one man in a wheelchair and another on crutches who wouldn't have been able to negotiate it.b

The worst part of our stay which has probably coloured my judgement and tone of this review was the spa. We had originally booked this spa weekend in February, intending to go in April, but both my friend and I had suffered bereavements of close family members and had to rebook. The receptionist was less than happy to transfer the booking but did so, seemingly reluctantly saying we had booked on a non-refundable tariff. I guess this was true but we did have extenuating circumstances. When we arrived at the spa reception, we were told we had booked a particular treatment but this is something I would not have chosen and I queried it. We knew we had booked two treatments lasting 90 minutes but the receptionist claimed otherwise and in the end, the reception manageress was called. I think the offer on their website in February was different to the one currently showing and this is where the confusion arose but there was stalemate - the staff wouldn't budge and we were expecting 90 minutes of treatments and were being offered 30 minutes! The resolution appeared to be us spending an extra £40 for a massage on which they offered a 20% discount.

Would I go again? Maybe but if I did, I would insist on having in writing what I would be receiving in the spa. Alternatively, I would use the hotel but not the spa facilities.

All in all, a slightly disappointing weekend - thank goodness the heatwave made up for it!

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the lake if possible.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank lillibet12309
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Booked a 2 night stay in the molten brown suite as a treat for my birthday.
The hotel was perfect with its stunning views and fantastic spa.
We booked spiced oriental massage in the couples suite was the best massage I've had even the other half was impressed (even though he did fall asleep and start snoring half way through :-) )
We booked food in advance and payed £30 each and had allowance of £35each but the menu is reasonably priced anyway and we never spent more than £30 each but could not fault the food alothough its not a large menu they have perfected the dishes that they do even the breakfast was faultless lots of choice.
The only problem that we really experienced was the spa steam shower which was very disappointing as it broke twice on our stay so we never actually got to use the extras in the unit so all we had was a shower, the unit itself is quite small aswell so it would have been a struggle to fit two people in also the second time it broke I reported it and asked if they could send the engineer to fix it after 730 whilst we were out of the room which never happened. we also never had the turn down service although on the first night I did say to leave it as we were in the room getting ready to go eat.
For the hotels top suite I think it should of been situated with better views as it over looks the car park and a pile of rubble and a jcb but the actual suite is perfect with lots of space and the bed is amazing very comfortable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends as the staff and the actual hotel was perfect I will defiantly be returning in the near future but I would pick and room with lake views as the views are breath taking I didn't want to leave.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Don't be fooled by the swish website for this Hotel,as its really no more than a glorified Travel Lodge.My wife and I have just returned from a weekend break,where we booked a suite for a special occasion.Yes the room was large,but a suite?...no!. there was no sitting area, no minibar,no fridge,no clock and the room amenities were nice but very basic.The staff at the hotel were quite unwelcoming at reception, but this paled into insignificance by the (lack of ) service they gave throughout.
The restaurant food is at best ok, but the ambience leaves a lot to be desired, as very sparse and clinical,much like a school dining room.The waiting staff were an absolute joke and gave the impression they really didn't have a clue what they were doing.We wanted to order a bottle of Argentinian wine we hadn't heard of. When I asked the waiter if it was a dry wine,he told me he didn't know, but would ask the Maitre'D. Having asked him the question,the waiter then returned to our table to inform us, " no one had a clue what kind of wine it was!". I could go on and on listing faults galore about this place, but to be honest, just cant be bothered, as I'd be here all day.
In summary, a hotel trying to be something its not and failing miserable at almost every level.My advcie would be to go somewhere more intimate and friendly, where at least the staff know their [--] from their elbow and give you the impression they're actually happy to see you, or book a Travel Lodge or similar,as basically the same at about a third of the price

1  Thank FairandHonest28
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!