“Don't stay in Room 222!”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
“Don't stay in Room 222!”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel for a short break through Secret Escapes. I was looking forward to this trip as the reviews I read were fantastic. The hotel was lovely, very well decorated, staff were helpful and food was delicious! A few points which disappointed me with this hotel. Our room, 222, was situated on the 2nd floor, looking onto the roof which was home to the air conditioning vents. The noise coming from these vents was incredible!! Myself and my partner could not get to sleep until 2am when they finally stopped! Another disappointment was on our first night when the fire alarm went off, which of course, each guest made their way out of the hotel, then to find it was a false alarm! The next morning, a note was left at the entrance to the dining room apologising for the previous nights events, for me, this was not good enough. A few disappointments however a lovely hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Heather M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

As we used a deal to stay at this hotel I would say it was excellent value for money but I would not pay full rack rate as the prices are more five star and this hotel is four star. Having said that the hotels are expensive anyway in this region.
Positives:-
Amazingly comfortable bed and pillows. Ive stayed in many luxury accomodations and this was one of the best and biggest beds I've experienced- Shangri La standard.
Lovely setting & terrace & view of lake
5 min walk to Grasmere
Easy parking
Free wifi (although this is to be expected)

Constructive criticism:-
The website clearly states you can order food on the Terrace outside. The manager however said they have never done that. So we had to go and eat somewhere else in Grasmere- there is no way I was eating inside on a hot evening! I thought perhaps they could have let us take the food out at least.

Overpriced bar drinks. This meant we did not buy more than one drink each when we were there- we went into Grasmere.

You could not swim in the spa as pool very small, but it was a lovely spa.
I did not find a spinner to dry my bikini after the swim.

The breakfast and staff were as expected and I found the staff to be friendly.

I would recommend this hotel and would go back if it was on a deal.

• Stayed July 2013
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Stayed one night in a 'senior' suite. Very large and spacious and great decor. Bathroom fantastic. Quietest air con system ever. No mini bar but complimentary water and usual coffee tray. Odd niggly bits - the bath taps were so far from the bath you had to get out of the bath to turn tap on to top the hot water up - daft design! Lovely twin wash basins and Molton Brown toiletries and soap but no soap tray so the wet soap had to just sit on the vanity unit and melt. Extractor fan very noisy in bathroom had to ring reception who gave us a tip of how to turn it off, anyone small would not have been able to reach the extractor fan to do this and balancing on a chair in the shower (fan was located inside shower unit near ceiling) not ideal.

Service on the terrace was painfully slow but the one waiter on was very busy. Same waiter was then on dinner service, so think not too many staff on the ground.

Dinner menu had good selection and was very good. Staff were very attentive, Laslo was very helpful.

Breakfast was equally as good with large selection of food.

Reception staff very welcoming, friendly and helpful. We were shown a selection of the other suites and rooms and would love to return and stay in a junior suite (301) as this had a balcony and view overlooking the lake. Our room (231) also overlooked the lake but didn't have a balcony.

The Molton Brown Suite is fabulous, a little more than a suite with completely separate lounge off private entrance hall. The shower looked like something out of the Matrix with dozens of buttons, jets etc. The view from the window is over the entrance and car park.

The signage on the roadside is more befitting a bed and breakfast than a 4* hotel. I don't know whether it's a temporary sign but it is very inadequate and definitely doesn't reflect the standard of the hotel within.

The pool (although we didn't use any of these facilities) looked very welcoming as did the spa and treatment rooms.

I would definitely return to this hotel, it is very well positioned, can easily walk into Grasmere.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Just returned from a 2 night stay where we had a good deal. We were in room 120 above the air conditioning units, ( no wonder it was cheap ) having said that, we didn't mind as we were only sleeping there, we were walking all day both days. The room was big and roomy with a lovely big bathroom with a huge shower with a power shower . The bed was big soft and comfy, anyone that's read my reviews before will know that a comfy bed is important for me, this one was the best i've had in a hotel room. After a long days walking with tired aching legs the hydro pool was exactly what we needed , sheer heaven . The only down side as with all hotels is the cost of the food, we paid £15 for a burger and chips !!! It's just a shame this spoilt it a bit, we didn't eat here again.

Room Tip: use the hydro pool , it's fun
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2013

First impression on entering the hotel is this looks nice, but on reaching the reception desk the smell of chlorine from the spa pool was very strong. It was a cold wet day afternoon tea was served in the cold barn sized sitting room. Sandwiches were made from poor white bread with loads of crisps, mustard and Bramston pickle, worse than the poorest pub sandwiches. Scones with jam and cream, carrot cake, brandy snap and two large shortbreads were served on a wooden cheese board each. The cheese board must have been used for cheese at dinner as you could quite clearly see the cuts in the wood and I did wonder how clean they were. Scones jam and cream and carrot cake was lovely, brandy snap ok, but two very large shortbreads were hard to digest. I had to go and find someone to ask for another more tea, although, staff were friendly once you had found them. I have had afternoon tea in lots of hotels in the lakes and this is the only one I would not go back too.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank JudithGlennie
Uxbridge
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Just returned from 2 nights at The Daffodil. We had a special offer for a half price room but I would certainly return and pay the full rate. The room was lovely, most comfy bed ever and I wanted to take the bathroom home with me!
Friendly and helpful staff.
Great selection for breakfast.
On the down side, the bedroom doors were not soft closing and they are heavy and so slam easily. Also the downstairs bar closed in the evening so we had to carry our drinks down from the bar on the first floor to the garden.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank studynut
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Stayed here on July 6, we booked two rooms and one was upgraded to a wonderful lake view family room, both rooms were of high standard. We took our grandchild who has cerebral palsy, we found the lift and grounds easily accessible and the room big enough to accommodate wheelchair. Staff were helpful as and both evening meal as and breakfast were good. I would highly recommend this hotel, although pity they did not have a kiddy pool.

Room Tip: Lake view great but so was side view too
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
Armathwaite Hall Hotel & Spa
#3 of 5 in Bassenthwaite

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!