“Canada Goose should be on the menu”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 17 August 2013

2 nights, 4 people. The food was good, but we had the misfortune to be there when a bus load of Japanese tourists were being served before us. At dinner on the first night we waited an hour for starters. No apology, no tit bits to keep us interested. Second night we went to Jumble Room and had immediate and proper attention. The rooms are expensive and very good, but probably wouldn't go again, there are better places in Grasmere.
The garden area extends to the lake, but be careful where you tread, the Canada Geese are everywhere. If I was part of the management I would issue catapults to all the early morning staff and get rid of these massive pests.

Room Tip: Lake view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank bobshepfell
There are newer reviews for The Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is a hotel that people either love or hate - I hated it. Firstly, the good points. It's great that the owners have brought an old building back into life and had a vision to create something special and different. The second good point is the steam room which is really spacious.

Here's what I didn't like - it feel's like a Premier Inn but costs 3 times as much. I'm a really big fan of Premier Inn and think they run great city centre hotels with really friendly service. There is a fine line between cosmopolitan chic and bland, and sadly the Daffodil falls on the wrong side for me.

With one or two exceptions, the service experience here is very impersonal. It's such a shame because this place could come alive with some vibrant and lively staff. As it is, the staff seem lacking in passion and doing their jobs but without much enthusiasm. I suspect this is down to inadequate training or leadership.

This review is strongly influenced by the fact that we had just stayed at Brimstone at Langdale. Here's a list of things that we got there for more or less the same room rate. Private reading room with unlimited free wine, beers, snacks and soft drinks, HD TV (they don't even have Sky News at the Daffodil), mini-bar, mood lighting in rooms, covered parking, gym, friendly service, incredibly appointed bedrooms with beautiful interior design, a boot room with loan walking kit, turn-down service, a balcony in every room where you can take breakfast at no extra charge.

The last point is typical of the Daffodil - it claims to be a luxury hotel but in truth the luxuries are either missing or you have to pay extra. It costs £7.50 per person to have breakfast in your room! Another example of flawed thinking by management is the fact that you have to pay £2.50 or £3.00 extra to have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, or a kipper for breakfast. I hate paying for extras and in the era of "all inclusive", this is just irritating when guests are paying over £200 per night.

I can see why some people love the Daffodil but I guess we've been spoiled by our experience at Brimstone. That's the nature of customer service, once the bar has been raised so do the expectations of the hotels that you stay at afterwards. Sorry Daffodil management - I really wanted to discover a new hotel to rave about but came away disappointed.

7  Thank Howard M
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Not long refurbished, has the potential to be superb! I have a feeling that it is still trying to find its feet a little with new staff and routines not yet established. Rooms amazing and location fantastic. Food was lovely with locally ingredients - the venison was delicious. The spa and treatments are well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Pay for a lake view!
5  Thank Sarah A
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel is located just outside Grasmere opposite Dove Cottage. Plenty of parking. Our room was in the new part of the hotel and was a good size with a very comfortable bed and great shower. Breakfast was buffet style but good and service throughout was excellent. Hotel lacks charm but we would recommend it as a base for visiting the area.

1  Thank Hawtrey
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Stayed here June 2013 to celebrate my 50th birthday, we had a junior suite with Lake views & it was amazing, there is nothing to complain about this hotel, it is tastefully decorated with a lovely fresh modern theme, our room was immaculate & very clean. We ate in the restaurant & the food was delicious as was the breakfast, I couldn't have asked for a nicer hotel in such a beautiful setting. The hotel has relaxing leisure facilities, small pool with jacuzzi jets, waterfalls for back massage, the steam room is amazing, nicest one I've been in & also a lovely sauna, there are sun beds around the pool area to relax & read, perfect. We did the Alcock Tarn walk opposite the hotel which was a brilliant walk, one of our favourites. The staff are very helpful & friendly, would we stay here again - ABSOLUTELY!

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room, worth the extra
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I booked a three night stay at The Daffodil Hotel's sister hotel Grange Manner in Bowness but they completely messed up my booking and ended up sending us to The Daffodil Hotel. This was the best thing that could have happened under the circumstances ( see my review on Grange Manner Site)
Our room was beautiful and considering it was a very last minute booking, thanks to Sarah, the reservations manager, who made a very special compensation for us (I cannot say what this was on here but it was very much appreciated).
The room was lovely, the bathroom was fabulous, the staff were very helpful and very friendly and the food was out of this world.
Thank you so much the Daffodil, especially Sarah, the reservations manager. I will be recommending The Daffodil to everyone. 100%/100%

Room Tip: Book a lake view room if possible but book early.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I visit the Lakes three times a year and have done for fifteen years because I love the walking and scenery. The Daffodil is a breath of fresh air when compared to all of the other Luxury hotels I have tried. I love modern hotels any way and this hotel is a welcome break from the old fashioned stuffyness I have found at other establishments.

Amazing Spa.....perfect for walkers. The mud rasul was fantastic too.

Incidentally the food was excellent and what a view from the restaurant, very relaxed and professionally run.

Well done to the owners for bravely taking hotel standards in the Lakes up a notch.

Will be back many times I am sure.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!