“Lovely hotel”

Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Lancashire
“Lovely hotel”
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

I stopped with my partner in January for a birthday surprise and wasn't disappoitned. The hotel is immaculate, the staff friendly and bar and food prices good.

I booked a lake view room which was beautiful to wake up overlooking Grasmere just a shame it rained quite a bit! The room itself was spacious airy and spotless and the bed one of the comfiest I have ever slept in. The only slight annoyance were the energy saving lights which are very dim for the first 5 minutes.

We ate in the hotel restaurant on the first night and the food was well cooked and delicious. Thee was also plenty of choice on the breakfast menu.

As I mentioned all the staff were polite and very helpful and I can't speak highly enough of them they really did make the place that bit more special without them being over friendly.

The spa, which would advise to book early was comfy but smaller than I expected. I also think the place could do with a gym given how much it costs per night to stay but that is being picky.

I'm looking forward to go back in the summer to be able to sit by the lake with a pint in the sun relaxing.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked this hotel via Secret Escapes it was £170 for 2 nights bed and breakfast in a superior room. We arrived early, so our room wasn't ready, but there was not a problem using the lounge area until it was.
We were given room 219 which was lovely but unfortunately overlooked a run down building, the bin area and air conditioners, we asked for another room and we were given room 319 same view just higher up, we accepted this as the view was slightly better.
The room was large and clean with a massive comfortable bed, there could be more storage but for 2 nights it was adequate. As others have said the lighting could be better.
The bathroom was large and clean with both a bath and separate shower which was very powerful. Molton Brown toileteries, large soft towels but no dressing gowns.
We were very impressed by the breakfast, lots to choose from,fresh fruit,cereal, cooked breakfast,yogurts,toast,croissants,danish pastries, Nothing ran out and the staff were very helpful.
We didn't eat in the restaurant for dinner so cannot comment on the food.
As we were out walking most of the day and the weather wasn't great we did use the spa,which was a thermal pool,sauna and steam room,we didn't have any treatments.
The only complaint I would have was at checkout. We had no bill to pay as we had paid in advance,but I was presented with a bill for £72.00, when I asked what it was for I was told it was for a spa treatment, which I did not have.The receptionist rang down to the spa to sort it out and I was asked to take a seat. The lady came up and spoke to reception about it then disappeared, I was not told what had happened,and I had to ask and was told it was a mistake. I knew that already. So that was a sour end to a pleasant stay.
The hotel is a short walk to Grasmere and across the road to Dove Cottage and a 5-10 minute drive to Ambleside.
I would stay in this hotel again but only with a good deal as the view from the superior rooms are disappointing and therefore I think overpriced, the hotel needs to address this problem.

Room Tip: If you can get a deal a room overlooking the lake.
Rochdale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2014

3rd visit in 12 months , the hotel is still fantastic,the staff are professional and helpful in every way. This time we ate in the restaurant at night as they did a deal where you spend £50 to get £60 worth of food which I have to say will give you a 3 course meal only if you have the 3 cheapest options on the menu plus it doesn't go towards any drinks either these you have to pay seperate. But the food was amazing and I didn't mind paying extra as it was my wife's birthday treat. I booked a "Sunday half price night" that really wasn't ,it was £75 for b+b in a standard room so that would have made it 150 at normal rate but this was without use of the spa which cost me an extra £20 (why????). On arrival we got Informed we had been upgraded to a room with a valley view, in fact it was a semi view of the lake ,nice you might think ,yes it was apart from it was also next to the main road and with the world's worst double glazing it sounded like every car was going to drive into the room especially at night with the headlights lighting up the room every time a car went past, defiantly the worst room I've stayed in at the Daffodil made worse when the lake district F1 grand prix starts at 6:30 in the morning ,this room 324 def needs triple glazing and is one to avoid if you get it. The other main gripe with this hotel and I've mentioned it in my other 2 reviews on this hotel is the grounds, 12 months after our first visit and still nothing done with the grounds of the hotel it still looks like a building site ,why has nothing been done it baffles me and amazes me that they can have a fantastic beautiful hotel only to be let down by the grounds , come on Daffodil do something about it . Will I return ? Yes cos it's a lovely hotel ,better in summer when you can sit outside. I get the feeling they are still finding their feet but it's been open 18 months now and any problems should be solved by now .

Room Tip: Any that's not near the road especially not room 324
English
Reviewed 27 January 2014

This hotel is set in the most wonderful position by the Lake, but the price of the hotel is far too expensive.
The food was very ordinary, the service perfectly adequate. The bedroom pleasant, but nothing in this hotel justified the price they charged

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank zanyjane
north yorkshire
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 1 night with friends and got a DBB deal for £120 per room. The hotel is set right by the lake in aa stunning surrounding. In a fantastic place for walking and 10 minutes to grasmere.
The rooms are huge and really well done with Milton brown toiletries in. The spa is really good but children are not allowed in the pool.
Would defiantly return

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank polamb
hartlepool
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I chose The Daffodil to celebrate a birthday weekend. I was looking for something luxurious in a beautiful setting that also presented good value.
Grasmere is a lovely spot for relaxing and walking. It's stunningly beautiful with just the right amount of shops and pubs in the little village.
My deal for two nights in a SENIOR SUITE included dinner and breakfast and cost £558. I'd also considered The Samling , Holbeck Gyhll and stumbled upon The Cranleigh during my search.
The Daffodil is an imposing on the edge of the village. Built in the 1800's in traditional Lakeland stone and sitting by the edge of the lake.
Inside the décor would not be out of place in a city centre hotel. We booked room 230 with a bay window with views to the lake. I appreciated that this as not overlooked by any other rooms in the hotel - we could relax in the suite with curtains open.
The suite is very modern with extra large bed, extra large bathroom and sofas in front of the Samsung smart tv.
There are tea/coffee facilities and this suite had an extra large bath and shower.
Very modern and luxurious.
Atmosphere in the restaurant is fairly formal ( best behaviour/ one of those places where everyone whispers) and I do prefer great food in relaxed rooms with a bit of a buzz. The food is well presented and the menu is well balanced but the food is just ok. I enjoyed duck which was perfect, tasty prawn starter, chicken - fine and lemon pudding - average. I wouldn't have enjoyed my partners venison which was too bloody for my taste. We ate 2 courses on two nights and on one night had a bottle of wine and paid an extra £37 on our deal . Good stuff. Service is slower than average and there could be times when you think they've forgotten you. I saw several dinners trying to attract the waiting staffs attention but we weren't in any rush.
I'd enjoy is more if the dinning room atmosphere was less stuffy. The waiters in their waistcoats telling a fellow dinner how to place his menu back on the table to give him clues if he is ready to order is really unnecessary. It also seems to jar with the Hotels philosophy which I read in our room pack. Relax, have fun. don't take like too seriously
Breakfast is served in the same dinning room buffet style with the usual hot and cold choices. Everything was perfect and I do hate the buffet / bun fights but it was January and therefore less of a scrum I would guess.
Loved the Sitting Room - a large modern space to relax, read and play games with views of the lake. I also enjoyed looking at the art work and photographs in the bars and restaurant.
The spa small and perfectly formed and we enjoyed an hour in the large Jacuzzi pool, steam room and sauna. At points we had it to ourselves which really is a luxury to me but this was January.
You'll love it here if you need your mod cons even in the country side. Lovers of traditional fireside sitting, wet Labrador patting, overstuffed armchairs will hate it.
You must get a room with a view as you run a risk of looking at roof/aircon/car park which would spoil a beautiful trip for me

Room Tip: Senior suite 230 was gorgeous and not overlooked by other rooms. You must ask for a view to avoid a...
1 Thank Jayne G
Grange-over-Sands, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2014

My boyfriend took me here for a surprise as part of my birthday present and I thought it was a lovely hotel in a lovely part of the lakes. I had never been to Grasmere before, and although the hotel lies on the outskirts of the village, it is just a short walk into the center of the village.
First of all the good things - the bed - the bed was huge, and so comfy; the bathroom - the bathroom was lovely, the bath was huge and the shower was ferocious; molton brown - as a fan, I love the little toiletries; the breakfast - we both thought the breakfast was really tasty, loads of choice, really good quality.
The niggly things - noise from upstairs - although not much can be done about it, the people in the room upstairs from us were wandering around very late and very early and it was very noticeable; the lights - the room needs a lamp! It said in the hotel guide that you could borrow a lamp from reception but if all the rooms were as dark as ours, a standard lamp in the corner would be beneficial to creating a nicer ambience in the room; spa - it would be nice to have use of the spa facilities included in the price of the room.
Otherwise though, I had a lovely time. It was a fantastic surprise and I would go back. I definately would recommend it to other people in future.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!