“Restaurant”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 23 March 2014

Food very good but let down by poor service experience E.g. Booking not registered, waited 15mins to take our order, asked for more bread and none arrived, vegetable side-dish stone cold. If we hadn't made a real effort to track someone down to pay the bill we could have walked out without oaying. No atmosphere - shame as could be really good.

1  Thank Cathy R
Write a ReviewReviews (1,935)

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Just returned from a weekend break. The hotel was stunning and the staff could not do enough to help in all areas of the hotel. Booked a superior room which was really lovelyn but just a little small.the bathroom was beautiful and the molten brown accessories were a lovely touch. The spa was nice my only criticism being the thermal pool wasn't warm enough. The meals and breakfast were both excellent and enjoyed them all will definitely be returning

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just returned from a great stay here. I can honestly say I have never slept in a more comfortable bed. The spa is just what the Doctor ordered after a hard day on the hills. The rooms are beautiful, modern and roomy and of course who doesn't love Molton Brown toiletries ! Breakfast food and service very impressive. Get in here fast before the prices go up when everyone finds out about this place. Almost forgot loved all the artwork

Room Tip: You might want to take a wee torch for your walk into Grasmere on a dark night
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay at The Daffodil Hotel....my husband has been ill off & on for the last year & this break was for us to have some treats & relaxation.
When I booked directly with the hotel by phone, everything I asked for was easily sorted...we stayed in room 331 ...a superior room with a lake view...not too far from the lift...
We needed separate duvets...no problem & these silk filled duvets are amazing...
All the usual hotel extras are there, but these are top end luxury, teas coffees & fruit teas too
Super luxury toiletries to match the enormous bath & separate shower....complimentary bath robes & slippers as well...superb !!
7 ft wide bed...very comfortable & wide screen wall mounted TV....
Free wi fi ...the list is endless...because this is an superb hotel with very nice, kind & welcoming staff right from check in to check out who ensured that our stay was the best it could be for us...
We choose our first & last nights as our DBB nights & just had B & B the other nights. Dinner for me on the first night was amazing as the Venison was the best I've ever tasted.
Comments about the lack of atmosphere in the dining room are right....but I guess when the light nights are back a window table with lake views will be amazing.
I did book my Spa treatment in advance & had a superb anti ageing facial...which I really enjoyed.
I checked on the website before & rang the Spa number direct...left a message & a therapist rang me back to discuss what was best for me & an appointment made..great service.
Finally, the humorous prints that hang on the walls everywhere intrigued me...I asked at reception & was told about them...so my husband & I ordered a copy of the one we liked most...on Thursday 20th...it arrived today 23rd...if as we did you order through the hotel...there's a 10% discount which covers the postage.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SheilaStokeontrent
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This hotel ticks all the boxes .We did the package detox by day and devil by night . We got 15 pound each to spend on lunch which was lovely ,then 30 pound for food at night as well as a spa treatment cocktail ,champagne and coffee liquor . I knew this before I went but it would be nice to have a triple room for adults .instead of a foldy bed settee for one as the beds .THe massage was one of the best I have had and the ladies in the spa were very helpful as well as all the staff .The food was out if this world very tasty and very very well presented .The staff also in the dining area were very efficient and friendly .Overall for a special occasion I would recommend this hotel and will definitely be back .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend went for 1 night for a valentines treat we didnt bother for an upgraded room as im sure there lovely but we dont tend to need a view out of the window to enjoy where we are. I love grassmere its a fantastic place and the daffodil was perfect for us was great to use spa facilities and even had a treatment booked the day before brilliant! We didnt eat here as we wanted to venture out for the night although the menu looked fantastic we went to saras bistro... highly recommended. we did have a drink in the bar found the barman to be extremely welcoming and friendly he and his partner worked there and were very good at their job recomending a cocktail that is now my fave. The room was very clean, modern i was impressed with the facilities the bed was huge so was the tv. We found all the staff very friendly and will deffinatly be returning! Thank you! Xx

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Afternoon tea is served in either the restaurant or the sitting room, both with beautiful views over Grasmere lake. As has already reported the restaurant lacked atmosphere and is very open and lacking in intimacy - not ideal for a special visit. However, the food was delicious, the scones in particular which were the best we have ever tasted - warm from the oven. Although the ads offer a selection of teas from "the board" we were not offered this, and were asked which drinks we wanted before sitting down and without having seen a menu of any kind (perhaps the waitress was not the usual afternoon tea waitress - a bit more training maybe?). We probably would return, though next time perhaps we would use the sitting room instead.

Room Tip: Opt for the sitting room for your afternoon tea for more comfort and ambience.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#1 of 2 in Glenridding
Macdonald Swan Hotel
Macdonald Swan Hotel
#9 of 14 in Grasmere

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!