“Daffodil Hotel & Spa”

The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Daffodil Hotel & Spa

Over many years my wife and I have spent a fair amount of our leisure time in Lakeland predominately choosing to use accommodation in and around the Grasmere area. Having passed the Daffodil Hotel and Spa buildings many a time (being on the main A591 road) in the period before, during and after it's renovation I felt it was about time we gave it a go as a place to stay. Contacted the hotel directly by email and telephone and booked two nights bed and breakfast in a lake view room (given room 106).

On our arrival I was pleased to note that ample parking space is provided for guests. The reception is a modern, large and welcoming area but most importantly the member of staff dealing with our check-in did so in a friendly, courteous and efficient manner. Our room was on the first floor and as stated with a lake view. It really was a very nice room indeed and difficult to fault, in keeping with the rest of the hotel very contemporary in design and spotlessly clean, also room 106 is situated on a corner of the building so benefits from a double aspect outlook with full length French type doors/windows on two sides of the room that can be opened fully if desired with great views of the lake and fells. I would say the overall room floor area was well above average even with a sizeable Super King bed in situ. A control panel for air con allowed you to set your desired room temperature. The bathroom had a large shower cubicle and bath all nicely appointed and again spotless. Not much more to say really other that its fair to assume I suppose that the other rooms in the hotel benefit from the same high standard of finish if not perhaps as nice an outlook to the lake and fells.

Breakfast was as good as any I have had anywhere with most requirements appearing to be fully catered for. For my choice, the traditional full English is provided on a self serve basis from a hot plate area (unless a particular request is made to the kitchen). Self serve suited me fine allowing you to pick and choose exactly what and how much of a particular food item you wanted on the plate! So if you prefer the a more formal arrangement of being served your breakfast you might be disappointed in this respect.

We didn't sample the spa facilities but doubtless they would be of a high standard.

I think the only negative comment I would make is in respect to the hotel grounds. Without doubt a fabulous aspect is the nearby lake, and yet seriously let down by the ground between the hotel and the waters edge. With a seemingly total lack of any professional landscaping having taken place I would suggest this is a massive opportunity being missed by the hotel owners. Creating a garden area to an even reasonably high standard for guests to stroll on summer evenings would without doubt be an absolutely fantastic asset and attraction to compliment what is clearly a high quality hotel.

All things considered though a very pleasant experience indeed and we would certainly stay again/recommend to others.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sabreliner

Reviewed 24 April 2014

We stayed on the Devil/Detox package which we found to be a real treat. Everything was great the spa and treatment, the lunch, evening dinner and room, the little extras like the champers and cocktail were really enjoyed. We found all the staff to be so helpful and polite. The hotel itself is quite large and modern but very well maintained, the dining room was packed in the evening but the service was still good and the food really tasty, at breakfast it was buffet style but the array of foods available was excellent. We didn't have a view in the room we were given, it didn't matter to us as by the time we left the spa it was dark, upgrades were available on this package though, We would certainly look to doing the same package again but out of season again as the price in the summer months increases so much.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I tend not to write reviews for places I visit in the UK, but anyone considering a stay-cation in the lake district should definitely put The Daffodil to the top of their list.

This was our second visit and, as with the first, nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff.

We booked for 2 nights to celebrate Mrs J's birthday. Needless to say I had a couple of surprises up my sleeve. The staff assisted me put together the perfect weekend before we arrived and continued to be extremely accommodating during our stay.

The room was great, with a nice view over the lake. We were on the third floor. Spacious, clean and comfortable - all the things I look for in a hotel room! Breakfast was busy but service was still good. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and I have to say, the local lamb is something quite special. Kudos to the chef.

I would recommend this hotel and the beautiful local surroundings to anybody that wants to listen! We were sad to leave but we will be back again - the long drive up from London is worth it. Thank you to all of the staff for making our stay easy, relaxing and very enjoyable.

Room Tip: I don't think you could get a bad room here - there are mountains everywhere which makes everyth...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

We went in the bar lounge for a drink after returning from grasmere,we had to wait for around 5-10 minutes to get served even tho the bar staff saw us waiting they continued there convo behind the bar and after 4times of asking I was greeted with a angry tone of YES! Then the young man said apparently we have stop serving even tho it was only 10.40pm!! Very rude and unprofessional.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Louis199
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for 3 nights in March and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

The hotel was spotless, we had a lake view room which was superb,
My wife described the bed like sleeping on a cloud.

Upon arrival we indulged in luxury cream tea, it was delicious. The pastry chef deserves a mention as the scones were the best we've ever had as were the assortment of cakes.

The breakfasts were varied and well cooked.

We used the spa facilities, steam room, thermal pool and both had a massage, again we'd highly recommend a bit of indulgence.

The sitting room was comfortable, relaxing and quiet.

My only criticism would be that the bar area by the dinning room is a little small though we did manage to get a seat each time we visited.

We're looking forward to visiting again.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I have just returned from staying the night at the Daffodil Hotel & Spa has a birth day treat. The most important point I wish to make is about the staff. So professional, approachable and friendly . Every member of staff want to make your stay the best one ever. The hotel is 4* in every sense. We stayed in a room with a valley view, the room was spacious , lovely large double bed with crisp white linen. The bathroom again spacious with a large bath and separate powerful shower. We booked a breakfast and dinner option, this is really worth it. The food at dinner was first class in contemporary decorated resturant with stunning view over the lake (book table 32,34 or36 for the best views) . A very small minus was that our room was on the first floor with the car park below 116) this did mean people entering and leaving the hotel could see into our room, a small minus.
We also used the Spa, one of the largest I have experienced at a hotel, very relaxing.

A great place to stay to relax, go for walks and visit the best of the Lakes.

A first class

Room Tip: We found the hotel on bookings. Com, but actually got a better rate by phoning the hotel direct.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paul H
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We have stayed here three times and all visits have been very good. All staff are friendly, especially the reception staff. Lovely big rooms with very big beds. Very clean and modern. The shower is super powerful and the Molton Brown smellies are much appreciated. We have stayed in a valley view room each time which is fine as you don't stay in the room all day to look at the view. The breakfast has a wide selection and is good. The evening menu has a good choice and I would personally recommend the scallop starter, its a favourite of mine. We will return as soon as posible.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
#19 of 20 in Windermere
Langdale Hotel
Langdale Hotel
#6 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to The Daffodil Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!