“A wonderful break with wonderful hosts!”

Macdonald Swan Hotel
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Grasmere
GreenLeadersBronze level
“A wonderful break with wonderful hosts!”
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Macdonal Swan Hotel – well what can I say…You were the perfect hosts! We arrived at the hotel and we were greeted with a smile! You gave us some great local information also. When we arrived in the room, you’d also left us a card and box of chocolates wishing us a great stay – now that is the service of someone who cares! I will most certainly be staying here again in the future and I will also recommend you to many, many others!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

Once again thank you for your kind words and the whole of the team are glad that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind Regards,
Jason Moore

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

i went on a 2 day break that my children got for me, the room was lovely but really cold so I turned heating up while we went for a meal, I like my steak well done & made sure it bar maid knew I would refuse it if any blood was in it when the meals came mine was medium so I went to look for the bar maid found the receptionist who took my meal back to the kitchen 10 mins later I went looking for my meal to be told the receptionist should have came back to take my husbands meal so we could eat together 20 mins later the bar maid is back saying my meal would not be much longer & when I said forget as hubby had finished all I got was you need to eat I want you to eat so I replied I wanted to too 20 odd mins ago but now I was not eating on my own so she offered my hubby a desert with still no sign of my steak , the room was still cold & calling down stars to sort wfi & a offer of a bloke coming to sort ( I don't wear pj's Never needed at other mcdonalds as always hot ) so I declined & after a while I gave up hungry & cold I went home not even making it thro one night let alone two my advice is avoid it if your a steak lover who likes to be warm

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sdh69
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent visit to the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are disappointed that we were not given the opportunity to rectify the situation and also apologies again for making a mistake with the way your steak was cooked and the temperature of your room.

I hope this experience does not put you off returning to other Macdonald Hotels.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Stopped for lunch on rout to Windermere and it was a good choice. I had a venison burger which was well made and tasty with excellent side dishes. My partner had a sandwich which was a nice size and tasty. The beer was delicious and with the fires roaring it made for the perfect start to our weekend away! Thank you!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent visit to the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and share them with whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are happy that you enjoyed our Lakeland venison burger a very tasty meal indeed and your partner enjoyed their sandwich in front of the roaring log fires at this time of year and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at the Swan for 2 nights in January 2014 to celebrate our wedding anniversary and had a really lovely time. We had a "winter warmer" deal - dinner, bed and breakfast for two of us (naturally) for two nights for £190 which was really excellent value. Even adding in the drinks not included in the price, we only paid £230 for the two days in a first rate hotel in a lovely part of the country.
Everything from the welcome to the room and the ambience was great. The hotel is quite olde worlde but has been refurbished to a high standard without losing any of the quirkiness. The staff were all particularly helpful and pleasant and really made the hotel a wonderful place to stay.
We particularly liked the comfy chairs around the open log fire just inside the main entrance and spent several hours there with tea and coffee delivered every so often while the rain belted down outside.
I think the only minor downside was that the dinner menu was a little unimaginative (and not hugely to our taste, although we did make the most of it). I was expecting some proper hearty food (like you would after a day out walking), but they were obviously trying to reach a different audience, so no fish and chips or steak and ale pie, or even lasagne! Instead I had a steak one night and a Barnsley (lamb) chop the second while my OH had smoked haddock risotto and cod risotto. Nicely done but not as hearty as you might want after a day on the fells.
Still, we did enjoy our stay very much and will go again (when they have an offer!).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Littleblackcat
Good Afternoon,

We are glad to hear that you chose one of our great online deals to celebrate your wedding anniversary and of course you chose the Swan, i am glad to hear that the whole of the team looked after you and made your stay extra special. I am sorry to hear that our award winning Waggoner's Restaurant menu was not to your liking and we have taken this on board, you could have of course tried our Walkers Bar menu which has the dishes on that you were looking for and even on a dinner, bed and breakfast rate you can eat in the bar with an allowance for each of you and we would have accommodated you if we had known but may be next time.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2014

A wonderful hotel - cosy and picturesque. We booked a Winter Warmer offer which was an absolute bargain (3 course dinner, bed and breakfast for 2 people for £103!). The staff were extremely efficient and friendly, the food was lovely and the room was beautiful (plus we got a free upgrade). It's also in a great location to visit all areas of the Lakes or just to walk into Grasmere. The walk from the hotel up to Easedale Tarn was fantastic. We thoroughly recommend!!!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Holly S
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

We are pleased to hear that you chose one of our great winter online deals and of course chose the Swan for your romantic weekend away, we're also glad to hear that you really enjoyed every aspect of your stay and your complimentary upgrade in your room type and of course the amazing location for walking and sightseeing.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Leicestershire
Reviewed 31 December 2013

We spent Christmas at the Swan and had such a wonderful time in the company of our friends. It was the first time that we had spent Christmas away but it won't be the last!! I have been coming to the Lake District for over 55years and do not know how I missed this little gem..it's almost too good to be true.
All the arrangements were first class, the room, the food, the ambiance and not forgetting the wonderful staff. Nothing was too much trouble and it was all done with style and enthusiasm.
We will visit again in 2014 and have no hesitation in recommending this beautiful 'Swan' in all its glory !

Room Tip: Room 3 was a perfect location for us ( not too far from the bar !) and our friends in room 23 had fa...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank RetiredGovernor
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We hear at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are positive or constructive and we share them with the whole of team on a regular basis.

We were very please that you chose the little gem that is the Swan Hotel for your first Christmas away and very pleased to hear that you had an excellent stay, I must say that it was one of the best Christmas that we have done and everyone really enjoyed themselves so much so that we have already taken bookings for next years package.

We do look forward to welcoming you all back for Christmas this year and may be hope to see you before that too and we all agree with you we are definitely not an Ugly Duckling.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 December 2013

A Great stay at a great hotel....The staff really make this place.......they make you feel really welcome...A great weekend, good food and excellent service...5 star...!!
Very clean room and great menu choices,,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
gmswangrasmere, General Manager at Macdonald Swan Hotel, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Good Evening

Thank you for taking the time to post your review regarding your recent stay at the Macdonald Swan Hotel, Grasmere. We here at the hotel appreciate all our reviews whether they are constructive or positive and we share them with the whole of the team on a regular basis.

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the excellent food and in particular the excellent service you and your family received from the whole of the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Jason Moore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
The Inn at Grasmere
#8 of 14 in Grasmere
The Wordsworth Hotel
The Wordsworth Hotel
#7 of 14 in Grasmere
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Rothay Garden Hotel
Rothay Garden Hotel
#5 of 14 in Grasmere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Macdonald Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!