“Perfect Base for Walking”

Lake View Country House
Ranked #3 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My sister and I stayed at Lake View Country House for three nights and had a lovely time. This traditional lakeland house is very comfortable and looks out across a well kept lawn with an unimpeded view of the fells. The twin room was really nicely decorated with everything we needed and included our own sitting room which looked out across the garden. The breakfast was super, setting us up for a good day's walking and there were facilities in the room for making tea/coffee etc. The location could not have been better - Lake View is at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac but is literally 100 yards from the road that runs through Grassmere Centre which meant that we could enjoy the peacefulness of the garden but were only a minute away from places to eat and the shops - which was ideal. I really liked staying in this traditional lakeland house with its beautiful view and although it was close to Gasmere Centre, it felt like it was well away from other properties and the badger sett in the garden and the private path down to the lake made it really feel like it was close to nature. The think I liked least about Lake View was having to leave. This is a smashing B&B in the heart of the Lakes and I would strongly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
michk, Owner at Lake View Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Hello Susan,
Thanks so much for your very kind words,we try so hard to make everyones stay a happy experience and one where you can really relax and unwind. You're right,about our location,its hard to beat but we never take it for granted.Thanks for sending through the photo you took of the badger,it came out well.
Hope to see you and your sister again sometime.
Michelle.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We arrived relatively late on the Friday (10pm) and couldn't get in initially - took a while for someone to let us in (despite me letting them know we were arriving late). The decor is very dated and we were very surprised about the very inflexible breakfast time - only half an hr - which I've never experienced in a B&B before. It is almost run like a hotel - not like you're being welcomed into someone's home which may appeal to some. The location is fantastic however and seemed the place to stay if you have a dog. Overall the place is fine for a few nights but certainly not the best B&B I've stayed in.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KimE82

Thank you for your review,although I am somewhat disappointed to read some of your comments.I am sorry if you felt that your arrival was not answered immediately,but I was on the telephone when you rang and had thought that we had only kept you a minute. We try hard to accommdate anyone who arrives late and when you only told us the day before of your late arrival time,we cancelled our evenings arrangements so as to be in.
We are sorry that you didn't like the decor of our bed and breakfast,we have done it in a traditional style with bedrooms having their own sitting rooms,various pieces of antique furniture and whirlpool baths but unfortunatley you chose to stay in our smallest room which doesn't have these although we still managed to install a power shower with body jetsand we assumed that you might have seen our web site which portrays our style.
I am afraid that you might have misunderstood our breakfast times,these are only the times for you to enter the dining room and you are welcome to sit for as long as you like.
We did actually have a couple of other guests who brought their dog and you may well have seen my cocker spaniel ,Brock,who likes to greet guests as we are very lucky to be in such a great location for people to bring their pets to.
Once again ,thank you for all of your comments.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed here with our friends - four adults, three kids - for a race weekend. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The breakfast is good. We enjoyed the garden, the walk to the lake, the badger watching. We liked being able to walk to the village for shopping and eating. Plus, sightseeing. It was quiet too. Very friendly place.

Stayed: June 2013

Hello and thank you taking the time to write yoyur review on us,it means alot to hear from our guests.
You made me feel very lazy with all your running but congratulations on your achievements.
Yes,we do have a great location with everything op our doorstep,sometimes its hard to drag yourself out of the garden with the fantactic views and the little walk to the lake,I count my blessings ever time I walk down it. I love it when my guests see the badgers because its such a special moment,althoughI wish they'd stop digging the holes!!!

Hope to see you all again.
Michelle

Reviewed 26 June 2013

We came from Singapore and had a wonderful stay at Lake View Country House from 11 to 13 June. Our room (Fellside Suite) was clean and big enough for my hubby, little girl and I. Our room looked out to an unblocked view of nature and greenery (rare for city dwellers). If you are like me, who are particularly about the toilet, I can tell you the toilet is very clean. The towels, bath tub ( it's a jacuzzi tub), basin, toilet bowl, mirror, floor etc are all very clean. The shower head is easily adjusted for warm shower ( unlike some places where you had the water either way too hot or too cold in the midst if shower). Bottles of shower gel, shampoo and body lotion were nicely placed at the window ledge. Breakfast here is excellent! We were served hearty English breakfast in a cosy breakfast room with a garden view. For the 14 days that we spent in UK, we had the best English breakfast over here. Our heartfelt thanks to Michelle for making our stay such a memorable experience. If I had any complains, it would be I wish our stay here could be longer.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

A big thank you for very kind words,we are so happy that you enjoyed our house. It is such a specail place and we are happy that we can share it with others.
I am delighted that you enjoyed your breakfasts and that they were the best you had on your travels,.We're always increasing the choice we offer for breakfast but you can't beat a really good english breakfast,can you?
I am glad that you enjoyed youyr visit to this country and hope that you'll return.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

An excellent Bed and Breakfast in an excellent position, in a private lane off the heart of Grasmere village. Charming short walk to the lake. It is very dog friendly (and bedger friendly)
A great Bed and Breakfast - our best ever.

John and Jennifer Farrant

Room Tip: Garden Room
Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Jennifer,

Sorry that I'm a bit late in thanking you for your review. I was delighred that we have been your best bed and breakfast,it's nice to know and hope that you can repeat the experience.

Michelle

Reviewed 22 June 2013

My wife and I stayed at Lake View for three night in June . We were made very welcome by Michelle , and enjoyed it very much. Breakfasts were first class. The house was in a really convenient spot with lovely views from our window(Fellside suite)

No complaints at all.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2013

This is the first time we have sampled B&B with a dog as we have always struggled to find somewhere with high standards that welcomed a dog. Well we have hit the jackpot at Lake View. We stayed in the Fellside Suite with our dog and son. It was spotlessly clean and very comfortable with lots of little extra touches. The breakfast was excellent with such a lovely variety of fresh and tasty food. Steve and Michelle were very accommodating and friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We will certainly be visiting again and recommending Lake View to all our friends.

Room Tip: Fellside Suite has lovely views over to the Lake and is a good spot for badger watching.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family