Heidi's Grasmere Lodge
  • Pool
Oak Bank Hotel(Grasmere)
Grasmere Hotel(Grasmere)
View Hotel
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa(Grasmere)
View Hotel
All reviewsspiral staircaseb broof terracelow beamsbreakfast roomwarmest of welcomescoffee machinebreakfast is servedhome from homepacked luncha lovely place to staylittle touchesfeel very welcomeperfect staylong walkgreat weekendfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 19 May 2013

Don't bother.....spend your hard earned money somewhere else...you can get a lot better than this for your money. My husband and I booked this to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. We arrived at the allocated booking time, which I must say was very tight. You are greeted by a rather sad looking side entrance. The door was locked..... but luckily another guest happen to be in the rather poky hallway and let us in. There was no sign of any staff at all!! We had noted from the booking advert that there was 'limited' parking available for guests.....but again no indication of where the parking was and NO staff to ask!!! Again we had to rely on this guest to 'show us' where it was......around the back of an adjoining village hall, with no directions at all!! My husband parked up why I waited alone in the hallway, I had rung a brass bell but nobody came. You immediately felt miffed, uncared for.....and we hadn't even got to the room yet!! Eventually, after much ringing, a rather uninterested foreign man appeared with no apologies for our wait or even a pleasant greeting!! We were just asked to remove our shoes (I fully appreciate that if guests our coming in with wet or muddy boots, it is required that you remove them....but I didn't appreciate been 'ordered' to remove my 'clean' footwear. Now for the good bit....the room was pretty and clean...not much of a view but still pretty......but that is all I can say!! The tv only had BBC 1 and 2.....oh and BBC Parliament channel....just what you want on a romantic break....not! Non of the other channels worked. No radio, no phone. The jacuzzi bath, had hand drawn unclear instructions and we couldn't get that to work either. In the room was a price list for drinks that could be ordered to your room......chilled Prosecco for £10, so we wanted to order some of that and inquire about the no signal tv and confusing jacuzzi instructions. We went downstairs.......but no one to be found anywhere. We repeatedly rang the bell, getting more and more frustrated arrggg!! Eventually we saw a note on a cork board saying that if you require to speak to 'Heidi' to call this number. So we rang it......and rang it and rang it!!!!! We even tried a landline number but nothing. So after endless bell ringing in the hall and mobile phone ringing......we got nothing!!! No properly working jacuzzi, no properly working tv, no drinks.....nothing!!!! The service wasn't just bad, it was non existent!!!!! When you pay £110 a night, you are not just paying for a bed, you are paying for a service and to be looked after and to be made to feel welcome. We ate our breakfast in the small breakfast room,without complaint in the morning, so not to upset the other guests with our ranting and annoyance. ( another point.... Breakfast only served between 8.30am till 9am, ridiculous!) Had to vacate by 10am......no leisurely breakfast and reading the papers for us!! On departure we politely voiced some of our disappointments to the 'still uninterested' foreign gentleman, who offered NO proper apologie, just a ' shrugg of the shoulders' attitude arrrgggg!!!! Our anniversary trip was ruined by a utterly disappointing place to stay...........Please heed my words and DON'T BOTHER STAYING AT HEIDI'S!!!!!!!! You wud get better service sleeping in a bus shelter.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Suzie H
theharwoodgrasmere, Owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I am so sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. I do find some of your comments rather unkind and feel i must point out to readers that you did make an attempt to leave without paying your bill.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Spent 3 days there late April 2013. Having read a number of reviews on TripAdvisor I was certain we had made a good choice and I was not disappointed.
Heidi keeps a very clean and smart establishment with attentive staff, the room ( 4) was huge as was the excellent bathroom it had a walk-in shower, bath and even a TV.
Breakfast was good with never ending beverages and toast, the onsite cafe offers a discount for guests but we never used.
As other posters have pointed out some of the rooms have beamed ceilings so my 6 ft 3 in frame cracked them on a number of occasions so best check when booking.
Grasmere is one of the last traditional villages left in the Lakes and with lodgings like Heidi's it will always be my favourite

Room Tip: Check for low roof beams in some rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We turned up in Grasmere on " spec " and opted to stay at Heid`s ...room 5.

The hotel was beautifully set out , really homely . Staff were excellent and very friendly . Room 5 had " duck " signs , which were needed , if you are tall don't opt for this room !!, low ceiling beams , that said the room was very nice and very clean , bathroom was excellent , tv was a real bonus in there . Full breakfast was superb , all local produce for "full English " , car park at rear is small with a first come first parked option , so get there early , but was a bonus being right in the centre of the village .

Would definitely stay again , but opt for a bigger room , but ideal for an overnight stay .....thanks

Room Tip: low ceilings in room 5
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Heidis lodge is simply delightful.The rooms are spotless and beautifully decorated.The bathroom was spacious and once again immaculate,boasting a tv which you can watch while having a wonderful soak.Breakfast included local produce,and was served by lovely staff,making sure you enjoyed your experience,,nothing was a problem to them.My husband booked this gem as part of my birthday celebrations.It was the perfect end to a very busy week and I would strongly recommend this wonderful,peaceful logde which is simply a credit to the owners and the staff that uphold such standards.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Lovely bed and breakfast, rooms exactly as stated on website, quaint and spotless. Ideal position right in the middle of Grasmere, but very peaceful and quiet. Lots of cafes to choose from although Heidis cafe underneath is brill. We will definately go back.

Room Tip: All rooms are of high standard. We had room 4, if very tall not advisable. Low beams.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple