Heidi's Grasmere Lodge
  • Pool
Oak Bank Hotel(Grasmere)
Grasmere Hotel(Grasmere)
View Hotel
The Daffodil Hotel & Spa(Grasmere)
View Hotel
All reviewsspiral staircaseb broof terracelow beamsbreakfast roomwarmest of welcomescoffee machinebreakfast is servedhome from homepacked luncha lovely place to staylittle touchesfeel very welcomeperfect staylong walkgreat weekendfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed at the Harwood Hotel in Grasmere just for one night for our anniversary. We stayed in room 3 - the shower is amazing. My husband was able to watch top gear in the sauna whilst having a beer, then had a shower followed by a jacuzzi- doesn't get much better he said! The room iteslf is adequate in size with lovely quaint decoration, tea and coffee facilities also. The rooms are above the cafe Heidi's and this is where breakfast is served in the morning. Breakfast is cereal and cooked breakfast and it was lovely.
For dinner we walked to Columbina restaurant and can recommend it for a great Italian meal, although Grasmere is full of restaurants within walking distance. The Harwood also has it's own car park which can be a rareity in the lakes.
All in all we had a great stay even if it was just for one night. The breakfast was great and the staff really nice and helpful. I know some people have issues with being asked to take shoes off, however the day we arrived it was torrential rain and we were soaked through. The carpets are cream and plush and it is understandable to be asked to remove muddy walking boots and trainers. The only criticism is that the bed could have been a king not a double as the room could easily take it and it is a bit pricey but ok for a one off.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2009

many thanks for your comments. we have now ordered a king size bed for this room and it should be in-situ shortly.

Reviewed 24 August 2009

My husband and I returned to Grasmere as part of our walking holiday, and our schedule only allowed us one additional night in Grasmere. We booked The Harwood Hotel on-line and had a wonderful experience.
Heidi, the owner also owns and runs the attached shop and cafe. She made us feel welcome, and was a great hostess. We stayed in Room 1 which is beautiful. It has an amazing balcony with views of the surrounding countryside; and as the hotel is in the heart of the village you can indulge in a spot of people watching too!
The room was beautifully furnished, with a huge shower which was great for the husband and I, as we are both very tall. The bath came with an amazing built in TV . So useful to catch a programme whilst having a soak.
Breakfast was a hearty affair served in part of the Cafe. It was also useful to know that guests were entitled to a 10% discount on items bought from the shop and cafe, so we stocked up on home-made preserves and locally produced ales.
The only slight crticism I would make of room 1 is that the husband and I would've liked a 'king-size' bed. The room can definitely take it, and when we discussed this with Heidi she said that it was something she was giving serious thought to.
We're hoping to return to the hotel later this year if the room has a larger bed.
Excellent room, welcoming staff and good food - definitely try it out!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

great news - we have ordered a 'super king size bed' for this room. it is a special order and will take between 12 and 16 weeks. thank you for your comments. we look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 11 August 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Harwood Hotel because the bed was great (excellent mattress and wonderful cotton sheets) and the shower was perfect. I was rather apprehensive after I got an email (after paying 50% of the considerable total sum as a non refundable deposit!) which stipulated that check in was strictly before 6 or an extra 10 GBP would have to paid. I replied that I was paying 115/night (why does the Tripadvisor page have GBP40?) for five nights, and that I expected someone to be there, at no extra cost. At that price I would have expected staff to be on duty. So there was someone there who was friendly and courteous, which was nice, and I made it in just before 6 anyway. I stayed in room 5 which is really a single room, with a bed which could accommodate either two children or 1 adult comfortably, and banged my head a couple of times on the low ceilings. The bathroom was great: clean, modern, brilliant shower, well equipped. Everything was spotless. I never saw the owner but managed to organize something with one of the staff to have a continental breakfast at 8:30 (so I could make my 9 am conference sessions), foregoing the full breakfast which was, rather rigidly I think, served at 8:45. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I would recommend this hotel for its comfort and cleanliness, but, in my experience, not for its atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2009

many thanks for your comments. this room is as described - a small, cosy room with double bed.

Reviewed 10 August 2009

I recently decided to "pop the question" to my gorgeous girlfriend. As you can imagine, I wanted to find somewhere romantic and special where we could return for years to come (so long as i got the answer i was looking for).....! Having spent some time researching, and on the basis of the reviews on tripadvisor, i decided to give the Harwood a call and from moment one i knew this was the place, and it truly lived up at and exceeded expectations.

First of all, before we had even arrived, Heidi, the hotels owner, was so helpful and accomodating I cannot thank her enough. She arranged everything from flowers and champagne to be placed in the room upon our return from a picnic during which I had planned to ask the all important question, to the heart shaped tubs of marmite on the breakfast table (my now fiancee cant cope without her marmite on toast)!!

The hotel staff, who had all been made aware of my plans were wonderfully discreet as to not give the game away and it was not until we arrived in a the local (and wonderful) italian restaurant in the evening, and visual confirmation that she was wearing the ring was made, that we were approached by Heidi (who had recommended and made the booking) and the restaurant staff to offer their congratulations. It was such a friendly and personal setting that Heidi had arranged, and I am very grateful indeed.

We stayed in Room 1, and as someone who spends many nights in hotels, this was really something special. It was beautifully decorated, so much so that I had to prize my wife-to-be out without her trying to take the furniture with her. Its more like staying in the spare room of your best friends country cottage than in a hotel, and the friendly staff add to that feel. We are also looking into putting a TV in our bathroom as watching saturday night TV whilst soaking in the bath is a new found luxury I cannot live without now!
As it happened, due to the Lake District weather (which i did ask but Heidi couldnt arrange) my plans for the proposal over the picnic had to be quickly rethought, but the room was so beautiful and romantic, that it made the perfect setting.

Breakfast was - and this is coming from a big fella that likes a hearty feed - TREMENDOUS! A fry up to match any!

I personally cannot recomend Heidi's lovely hotel, especially you fella's thinking of proposing!!!

A thousand thanks to Heidi and her team for making the weekend so very special - and we'll be seeing you next year!!

G&D

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

we are thrilled for you both and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 8 August 2009

We have just returned from Grasmere after spending two nights at The Harwood Hotel. We had a perfect time and our whole stay cannot be faulted. We were greeted on arrival by Heidi (the owner) who was so friendly and helpful. Our room (Room 3) was beautifully decorated and the en-suite bathroom had an amazing jacuzzi bath with T.V. etc. As it was our anniversary there was a note and heart-shaped chocolates on the bed. The breakfasts were huge and delicious, all served by friendly staff. We are already saving up to go back again and would recommend it to anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing break in Grasmere.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple

thank you for your feedback. we are looking forward to your return.