“A Great Place and Great Staff”

Heidi's Grasmere Lodge
Ranked #5 of 20 Grasmere B&B and Inns
Grantham, Lincs
“A Great Place and Great Staff”
Reviewed 24 September 2009

I am not going to say to much as it has been said in all of then other reviews. The hotel is in the centre of Grasmere, it is a fantastic location and made all the better by the staff. Heidi runs a great place! I stayed in room 5 which although small (as advertised) it was very comfortable; however, be warned if you are tall you are going to bang your head! If I had a negative it would be having breakfast at a set time but the breakfast itself is good fare and plenty of it!
Great hotel, great staff, great place and central to some great walks!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Worcestershire
Reviewed 21 September 2009

Service was friendly and helpful at all times and from all staff members especially Heidi. Room 6 - was excellent including when we sat on the roof terrace with a bottle of wine in the sun.

Breakfast was very good and a good selection of local restaurants.

London, England
Reviewed 11 September 2009

Having stumbled across the Harwood on a previous trip to Grasmere, we set out to stay here on our next trip and we were not disappointed. After a slightly confusing check-in (via the cafe staff because the Hotel's main door was locked), we were warmly welcomed by one of the members of staff who took us to our lovely room (Room 4). It was just as we had hoped, and had the added bonus of lovely views across the sleepy village of Grasmere and to the mountains beyond. It had a very large bathroom and a flat-screen TV mounted in the wall in there so you could soak in the bath whilst watching TV! I asked for an iron and one was delivered in a couple of minutes with no fuss at all and any requests were met with a smile and dealt with promptly.

The most impressive aspect of our stay was when Heidi (the owner) popped to our room shortly after we checked in to introduce herself. She took the effort to remember my name and explained she was not going to be around during our stay but wanted to say hi in person and wish us a welcoming stay before she disappeared. She left her card at the main door with her mobile number on it so we could contact her if needed in her absence and ensured we had sorted out our reservation for dinner that night in the village.

This sort of personal service is sadly lacking more and more nowadays, and although it only took two minutes of her time, we immediately felt special and welcome. We had a fantastic meal at the Jumble Room just round the corner (on Heidi's recommendation) and were only sorry we could only stay the one night. We will definitely return here when we next visit the Lakes and highly recommend the Harwood Hotel for somewhere 'extra special' in this beautiful part of the country.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this review, 28 October 2009
Thanks for your comments. Do come and see us again.
NW England
Reviewed 5 September 2009

We chose the Harwood based on their website and were not disappointed. Its been recently fully refurbished to a very high standard and with a lot of care and thought into the decor to make it as warm and welcoming as possible. There are only 6 rooms, we were in room 3 and although the room itself was not huge it was lovely. The bathroom was fantastic with double jacuzzi bath, rainforest shower, steam, tv in bath etc etc - a revelation! Everything was clean and perfectly arranged and Heidi organised flowers and strawberries in the room for us as it was our anniversary. The Cumbrian breakfast served at Heidi's cafe was delicious and again a lovely setting. We only stayed 1 night but can't wait to go back. We had such a relaxing time it feels like we've had a weeks break.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this review, 9 September 2009
i am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you both again.
liverpool
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We stayed at the Harwood Hotel in Grasmere just for one night for our anniversary. We stayed in room 3 - the shower is amazing. My husband was able to watch top gear in the sauna whilst having a beer, then had a shower followed by a jacuzzi- doesn't get much better he said! The room iteslf is adequate in size with lovely quaint decoration, tea and coffee facilities also. The rooms are above the cafe Heidi's and this is where breakfast is served in the morning. Breakfast is cereal and cooked breakfast and it was lovely.
For dinner we walked to Columbina restaurant and can recommend it for a great Italian meal, although Grasmere is full of restaurants within walking distance. The Harwood also has it's own car park which can be a rareity in the lakes.
All in all we had a great stay even if it was just for one night. The breakfast was great and the staff really nice and helpful. I know some people have issues with being asked to take shoes off, however the day we arrived it was torrential rain and we were soaked through. The carpets are cream and plush and it is understandable to be asked to remove muddy walking boots and trainers. The only criticism is that the bed could have been a king not a double as the room could easily take it and it is a bit pricey but ok for a one off.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
many thanks for your comments. we have now ordered a king size bed for this room and it should be in-situ shortly.
Buckinghamshire
Reviewed 24 August 2009

My husband and I returned to Grasmere as part of our walking holiday, and our schedule only allowed us one additional night in Grasmere. We booked The Harwood Hotel on-line and had a wonderful experience.
Heidi, the owner also owns and runs the attached shop and cafe. She made us feel welcome, and was a great hostess. We stayed in Room 1 which is beautiful. It has an amazing balcony with views of the surrounding countryside; and as the hotel is in the heart of the village you can indulge in a spot of people watching too!
The room was beautifully furnished, with a huge shower which was great for the husband and I, as we are both very tall. The bath came with an amazing built in TV . So useful to catch a programme whilst having a soak.
Breakfast was a hearty affair served in part of the Cafe. It was also useful to know that guests were entitled to a 10% discount on items bought from the shop and cafe, so we stocked up on home-made preserves and locally produced ales.
The only slight crticism I would make of room 1 is that the husband and I would've liked a 'king-size' bed. The room can definitely take it, and when we discussed this with Heidi she said that it was something she was giving serious thought to.
We're hoping to return to the hotel later this year if the room has a larger bed.
Excellent room, welcoming staff and good food - definitely try it out!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
great news - we have ordered a 'super king size bed' for this room. it is a special order and will take between 12 and 16 weeks. thank you for your comments. we look forward to seeing you again.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 August 2009

I enjoyed my stay at the Harwood Hotel because the bed was great (excellent mattress and wonderful cotton sheets) and the shower was perfect. I was rather apprehensive after I got an email (after paying 50% of the considerable total sum as a non refundable deposit!) which stipulated that check in was strictly before 6 or an extra 10 GBP would have to paid. I replied that I was paying 115/night (why does the Tripadvisor page have GBP40?) for five nights, and that I expected someone to be there, at no extra cost. At that price I would have expected staff to be on duty. So there was someone there who was friendly and courteous, which was nice, and I made it in just before 6 anyway. I stayed in room 5 which is really a single room, with a bed which could accommodate either two children or 1 adult comfortably, and banged my head a couple of times on the low ceilings. The bathroom was great: clean, modern, brilliant shower, well equipped. Everything was spotless. I never saw the owner but managed to organize something with one of the staff to have a continental breakfast at 8:30 (so I could make my 9 am conference sessions), foregoing the full breakfast which was, rather rigidly I think, served at 8:45. Breakfast was ok, nothing special. I would recommend this hotel for its comfort and cleanliness, but, in my experience, not for its atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
harwoodhotel, owner at Heidi's Grasmere Lodge, responded to this review, 19 August 2009
many thanks for your comments. this room is as described - a small, cosy room with double bed.