“not vegetarian any more”
Review of The Rowan Tree - CLOSED

The Rowan Tree
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Croydon, United Kingdom
“not vegetarian any more”
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Went to Grasmere in late August 2010 and found this place is no longer veggie; they serve fish. As vegans were were hoping to be able to eat there (veggie places are able to do vegan food and we liek to support them), but the offering was no different to that from a non-veggie place, so we went elsewhere.

Scotland
“Friendly cafe with great selection of food”
Reviewed 4 August 2010

I ate here at lunchtime. There was a range of sandwiches, baked potatoes, pizza, nachos etc on offer. I had goat's cheese tart with salad and a glass of wine followed by courgette and lemon cake and espresso. Delicious. There was a large choice of cakes but I chose well. You order at the counter and food is delivered to table. The staff were very friendly. i was impressed by the quality of the food.

northumberland
“so good we went back again and again”
Reviewed 1 September 2009

after perusing the local restraunts we decided on the rowan tree and I am so pleased we did. The starter I chose was the smoked makrel fish cakes with chilli chutney, I got two of these and the flavours were fantastic not greasy as so many are. We then ordered there pizzas which were traditionally made and were the best I have ever had made with beautiful tomatoes and lashings of toppings, I recommend the house white I don't usually drink as I do not particularly like the taste of alcohol but the subtle flavours of there house wine was delicous. We enjoyed the rown tree so much we kept going back and tried bruchetta, salmon, sea bass, totillas not to mention the deserts....oh go on then ice creams a fantastic chocolate brownie torte which I swear I am still dieting off even now aswell as sticky ginger pudding and summer fruit crumble. The staff were brilliant and couldn't do enough to help and you never felt pressured to leave your table even though the restraunt was fully booked. the ambience inside the restraunt was clean modern and relaxed however I must say given the choice I would sit out by the river every evening and watch the ducks paddle by with the sun in my face enjoying good company and consuming excellent food and drink. We did not have children with us on this occasion but the children that did attend the restraunt were well catered for and the staff paid them alot of attention which seemed to make their evening. All I can say is my husband and I are planning a return trip to ambleside in october and we will be prebooking our table at the rowan tree prior to arriving to garantee a table ( the restraunt can be fully booked so if you want to go booking would be advised). We love the rowan tree and anyone who is planning on going to ambleside should give it a go... don't be put off by the vegetarian title my husband is the original carnivor and he loved the meals we had there.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Nice starters, let down...”
Reviewed 3 March 2008

Nice starters, let down by a fairly miserable waitress and distinctly average main meals. Ah well.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook