“Latest visit a disappointment”
Review of The Jumble Room

The Jumble Room
Ranked #5 of 48 Restaurants in Grasmere
Price range: US$21 - US$85
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Jumble Room in Grasmere is now in its 20th year and from very humble beginnings their ethos has remained the same...Take the very best local and where possible organic ingredients and cook them with love and care.. Our small colourful little restaurant in Grasmere has become internationally renowned, not for pomp and circumstance but for a place to relax and forget our mad and hectic lifestyles...to escape....switch off... if only for a little while.... and leave with the light glowing a little brighter! It is said of the jumble room that it has soul, a small bohemian style restaurant, casual, honest, restorative and uncompromising in the pursuit of quality Prepared with love and served with pride!
Reviewed 27 April 2014

We had booked in advance to ensure we had a table on Saturday night. The evening started well with a warm welcome and a great Prosecco cocktail. The menu was as eclectic as ever. Our starters were delicious. For mains we ordered the Dichoise chicken and a steak. When the chicken arrived the smell was fantastic. The first couple of mouthfuls were delicious. I then decided to try a piece with the almond stuffing, it seemed quite a strong flavour. While eating my next mouthful I had what I can only describe as a taste explosion in my mouth. I drank some water but my mouth was almost burning and my tongue felt numb. After a couple more mouthfuls of water I tried another piece of chicken but I really couldn't taste it, nor my glass of wine. I discreetly called the waiter over explained what had happened and said I could not eat anymore. He asked what he could do. At that moment in time I just wanted water to try and get rid of this very bitter taste in my mouth. I left the rest of the plate of the food. Apart from the beans most of the rest of the meal was left. My husband made clear he was very happy with his steak. We were very surprised when we received our bill to find no reduction had been made. I queried this with the restaurant manager who explained I should have sent the food back and made a complaint. I explained I had complained and had not eaten the rest of the meal. He said he had not seen the plate. I said the waiter certainly saw it. He then said that over 20 portions of the same dish had been served without problem. I said that was irrelevant I was sharing my experience. He also said he did not have authority to give discounts only the owner who was not present could do that. We paid begrudgingly on the basis that the owner who we had met in the past would contact us. He has not. I feel the Restaurant Manager did not treat me with respect and listen fully to my complaint. Nor did he investigate the matter with the waiter or kitchen staff. Overall, what we thought was an unfortunate accident in the kitchen, ended becoming a very unpleasant experience and ruined our evening. We will not be returning for a tenth visit,

5  Thank Janet W
Write a ReviewReviews (1,081)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

An immediately attractive room with walls full of bits and bobs of art, posters, objets, etc. interesting menu, decent winelist. Nice friendly atmosphere, with tables close enough to encourage conversations between. The South African chicken was delicious, but the ravioli was swamped by an excess of cream sauce while the batter on the prawns that preceded it looked suspiciously uniform and was not exactly the wafer-thin texture required of tempura. We found Grasmere generally an expensive place to eat out in, but the bill for our meal here did seem a bit excessive. So full marks for the ambience, but the food requires more care.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Fantastic menu offerring a variety of dishes.
Dichoise Chicken (a South African dish) was perfect, as was the other guests steaks and fish dishes.
Starters were all as delicious.
Special mention for the special cocktails that enlivened the evening.
You must try this gem of a place next time you're in The Lakes.
Book early as it is small and popular

Reviewed 14 April 2014

It's an annual treat for us to have dinner here on our visit to the lakes and we were seated downstairs for the first time, which was massively entertaining as a couple of locals were having a lads night out! The four of us had a range of starters and we all had a taste of everyone else's with a fight nearly starting over the tempura prawns which were immense and fab! We all opted for the flat iron steak and skinny chips, on a recommendation of the local drunk and we weren't disappointed! None if us had come across this cut of steak before, the lovely waiter explained it was from the shoulder and had a run of sinew through it, which wasn't a problem for any of us. The steaks were all cooked perfectly, the rare was perfection according to the consumer, the two medium rare were just gorgeous, the chef on the grill knows how to handle cow! Skinny chips were perfect. The house Rioja went down a treat and was very well priced. We didn't have room for desserts. Stuffed and happily so. Another great night at the Jumble Room. We'll be back!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Having read some very good reviews for this place and as we were staying nearby we had to visit. We hadn't booked a table but was told to return in an hour and we would be seated, which indeed we were. First impressions of this quirky restaurant were excellent, very welcoming with warm and friendly staff. We were seated upstairs which had an unusual variety of tables and chairs, as I said quirky.Then the prawn starter arrived and the place went up even higher in my opinion. I have never had such good prawns, they were to die for. The chicken main course was also excellent. This restaurant gave us a memorable evening. My only disappointment is that we live two hours away so will have to wait for our next trip to Grasmere before we can visit the Jumble Room again. I can't recommend this restaurant highly enough.

1  Thank Sin2368