“Great Weekend's Stay!”
Review of Waterside House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawkshead
Waterside House
Ranked #10 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Gainsborough, United Kingdom
“Great Weekend's Stay!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just got back from a brilliant weekend in the lake district.
Myself, the girlfriend and the dog stayed at the Waterside House for a couple of nights while visiting the lakes for the first time. Lovely warm welcome, and a brilliant B&B to stay at. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and plenty big enough. Ideal location to get out and about and see some of the sites, and only a short walk to hawkshead town for evening meals. Breakfast was brilliant, very tasty and filling, good portions, and a good selection of options to choose from. Good room for parking on site, and very dog friendly.
Vanessa was very welcoming, outgoing and helpful, and had great advice for good local sites to visit, we really enjoyed our stay.
When we next visit the lakes, i wouldnt hesitate to call the Waterside house first to see if she has any rooms available.
Many thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Daniel W

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We had a lovely stay at Waterside House. Could not fault it. Very clean and comfortable, great food, pleasant host. Location suited us very well. Quiet and yet within walking distance of village. I do hope Vanessa is very proud of her achievement.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We booked Waterside as split trip - spending a couple of nights at the start of the week and returning again at the end, packing in some fell walking in Great Langdale in the middle. It was a perfect spot to unwind and made a good holiday great! It was an absolute pleasure to return at the end of trip.The accommodation and location were excellent, as was the food. But the things that really make this place is the atmosphere, the welcome, and the level of customer care.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pattyclawfoot
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We have stayed in many B&Bs and Waterside is up there with the best! We felt very welcome and looked-after but the layout of the house meant we also had our privacy. The rooms were spacious, nicely furnished and very clean, with lovely views. We also had our two dogs with us and we felt that they were genuinely welcome too. The breakfasts were superb - really good food with some interesting extra options and a variety of fresh and dried fruit. A great stay!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We stayed for 6 nights, choosing The Barn, as it gave us a bit more room, and meant my husband could stay up watching TV, when I went to bed early. Plenty of space, with lots of character, and very clean. Vanessa is the perfect hostess - very friendly and helpful, and the breakfasts are devine! The location can't be bettered, with nice rural seclusion yet an easy walk into Hawkshead for dinner each evening.
The place was perfect, except for one small problem: we love to have a nice hot shower every morning, and unfortunately The Barn was unable to deliver on this. The water in the shower was luke warm at best. We solved the problem by having a bath instead - there was plenty of hot water, it just didn't want to come out of the shower! Vanessa did offer to allow us to use the shower in another room when they weren't full, but we chose to use the bath instead.
One other note: the wifi doesn't work in The Barn (one of the other guests said it worked ok in their room), and there is no mobile data coverage. Wifi works ok in the guest lounge, however this is dependent on Vanessa being home (otherwise the door is locked). Not a major problem, unless you're addicted to the internet!!
I strongly recommend Waterside House, but just check about the shower in The Barn if you're a hot shower fan!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SueWelli2013
vanessahawkshead, Owner at Waterside House, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
I thank Sue very much for her kind words as she states initially how lovely she thought Waterside is, I really appreciate all the amazing reviews I have had and I equally have had some pretty amazing guests who I feel have left as genuine friends rather than just visitors, this is of course why I love this job.
For those of you who have read the review, may have noticed that towards the end she has some concerns and I want to set these right in case it may put any of you off this truly beautiful and tranquil part of the Lakes.
I can offer access to the internet at all times so long as I am pre-warned. Yes the walls to the Barn are so wide that even the £90.00 booster we invested in would not break the signal through. But the spacious dining area is comfortable and available so long as I know you need access whether I am in or not, I will absolutely sort this for you please just ask it is no problem. If I do not know you need access and I need to be out then yes everything is locked away. If you have forgotten to tell me you need access it is worth knowing that, although not great if it is raining or cold, the table and chairs just outside the dining room has a good signal. I am always here until 12 am so that gives approx 4 hours of internet use in the morning and I have young children which means I am home every evening which gives a further approx 5 hours of usage. 9 hours per day at least!!
The shower in the Barn has always had a low pressure and so far this has not been a major problem for anyone that I am aware of. I appreciate that certainly if you are used to a power shower you will probably find this shower frustrating. No one has ever said that they have suffered a cold shower before as there is really plenty of hot water however I did ask a plumber to come and look for me mainly because I wanted to improve the pressure if I could and the outcome is that the plumbing work is 'all wrong', this is now in the hands of the Landlords. I have asked people who have stayed since and even asked if I should take off the fact that it has a shower from the website and they have all told me that there is no way that it is 'that bad'!!
Unfortunately my fellow kiwi's have also marked me down for 'sleep comfort', I am not sure why and I gather this is probably a personal opinion 'thing' as honestly I have had people sleep in that bed (which has a new mattress), who have told me they have had the best sleep in years. The wonderful thing to embrasse about being human of course is that we all like 'stuff' a little different!!
Take care to you all and happy holidays for wherever you may choose to stay.. Vanessa
rossendale
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This is a gem of a place - and I can't wait to return. The rooms are spacious and comfortable . in fact it's like you're staying in a cottage with B&B.
I went with family and we rented the three rooms for 2 nights. The host, Vanessa, could not have been friendlier and her breakfasts were fantastic. The atmosphere was relaxed and the peace and quiet restful.
Our parents commented on how the stay had made their weekend as we celebrated their grandaughter's wedding in the village.
The "Barn" room is especially spacious and spread over 3 floors .. a lounge downstairs, bathroom then bedroom in the attic space. The "red" room is upstairs and has two separate rooms - it would be ideal for a family and the "blue" room was on the groundfloor with access to the breakfast room. With space to sit outside the whole place really is fabulous.

Room Tip: They are all lovely !