“Avoid”

Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Hawkshead
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Cash Only, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Small but quirky cafe home of the giant cakes but also serving full meals from soups to our own cured and smoked meats
Blackburn, United Kingdom
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

How disappointing this experience was. For the first time I have to write a poor review on Trip Advisor.
Upon entering we were eventually directed to a vacant table, despite the place being pretty much empty. I decided to go for a toastie and cup of tea, my partner decided she just wanted a drink and a couple of slices of toast. This was the problem, toast wasn't on the menu. We were told by the waitress that she would ask if the chef would do this for us. The chef evidently refused. How difficult is it to do a couple of slices of toast? We promptly left the premises. We have eaten here previously, and enjoyed it, but unfortunately maybe they are believing all the plaudits they are getting on here, it's time to remember the customer is always right. If we had asked for something out of the ordinary, I would have understood. But toast?

They obviously didn't want our custom. Awful attitude. Will now avoid. Never again.

Visited June 2014
13 Thank Simon F
traceynpaul, Owner at The Sun Tea Rooms, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
AVOID please don't visit again if this is your reaction to getting a refusal for something THAT IS NOT ON THE MENU. You state you have eaten in my cafe before and enjoyed So where is my good review I am glad to hear you enjoyed your chocolate cake at the next cafe HOW WAS THE TOAST. You need to man up and like your partner above stop chatting bubbles PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE AVOID US YOU AND HER HAVE TOLD LIES because you don't want people to know it was all because you couldn't have two slices of toast SAD

England
“A cake lovers delight, and good enough for a wedding !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

I have to start by saying that I drive tourist around the lakes five days of the week and without hesitation I can honestly say this cafe/tea room is the most friendliest reasonably priced place I've had the good fortune to visit.
So much so that I always recommend my paying customers that satisfaction is guaranteed without ever worrying about a single negative word coming back to me.
The owners are some of the most friendliest and decent people around and always feel welcomed whenever I go across the freehold.
While some may say they have to wait at busy times, surely this should be seen as a good sign and heaven forbid if we have to wait more than ten minutes for FRESHLY prepared food. This is the only place my cake loving wife will now eat Victoria sponge and I felt honoured that the owner made one for my wedding on the 30th of May of this year (2014).
It just leaves me to say a BIG thank you to all the staff that work there and I thought the refit looked great and your cakes always go down great with tourist from all over the world whenever they visit Hawkshead.
Elliott & Debbie

Visited May 2014
Beverley, United Kingdom
“Patience required at busy times”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We were lured in by the size of the cakes and offered a choice of tables. Unfortunately for us the rest of the cafe filled up immediately and with only one member of staff we were left to wait for quite some time. It wasn't appreciated when a later arrival was served before us as they went to the counter. I also have to agree with previous comments about hygiene. Both my friend and myself were not impressed with the way the cake was handled and while I understand the bare hand comment from the owner, chefs in a kitchen are completely different to waitresses handling money, fidgeting with hair and not washing hands and then man handelling the cake. (All of which we experienced on our visit) It was appreciated that leftovers of cake could be taken away as portion sizes are huge.

Visited May 2014
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
“Cracking tea rooms, great cake, loads of teas to choose”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

Lovely end to our holiday after visiting this tea rooms. Cake to die for, lots of different types of tea to choose from, great value for money. Well worth the visit. Would strongly recommend to anyone.

• Visited May 2014
Wallsend, United Kingdom
“Relax with a Coffee !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

A great little cafe for nice break for coffee and big slices of cake all done at a fair price,can get busy at popular times of year !

Visited December 2013