“Excellent!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Hawkshead
Price range: US$7 - US$15
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Small but quirky cafe home of the giant cakes but also serving full meals from soups to our own cured and smoked meats
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Warm welcome, unbelievable cakes huge portion and tasted WOW! Small, quirky great value and well worth a visit for tea and the most delightful, to the eye and mouth, cake you can imagine!

There are newer reviews for The Sun Tea Rooms

Reviewed 16 August 2014

£5.50 for a small over burnt sausage and about ten chips, went to a restaurant in central Ambleside and paid £1.85 for a massive portion of chips that dwarfed the ones here and tasted better too. This place is a joke, cramped, dark and expensive what a waste of £11.00. incredibly disappointed. Grumpy staff too, who also looking at replies seem unprofessional.

8  Thank Louise P
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Wow this little place is amazing!!! We had soup and a sandwich & my daughters had children's fish & chips which came wrapped up in newspaper which they found very novel!! So did I to be honest!
The food was beautiful!!! We were toooooo full for the amazing MASSIVE CAKES but we have tried them before & they are YUMMY!!!
Simply try this beautiful tearoom and decide for yourselves !! I'm very sure you won't be disappointed !!! X

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

Happened across this little gem whilst looking for somewhere for a brew and a cake. We were after somewhere a bit different and this filled the gap perfectly.

My partner and I had a drink each and shared a slice of lemon and blueberry cake. The cake was very moist and the filling was tasty without being overpowering.

The table next to us had sandwiches and these also look fabulous.

I would recommend this place to anyone who wants a non-chain like coffee shop that serves good food, drinks and has a wonderful atmosphere.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We chanced on this eaterie, and decided to eat as it looked like rain. Good menu choices, and everything cooked to order. When it arrived (not unduly delayed), superb quality. Simple fare, well cooked. Then for sweet, we had (very large) portions of cake/gateau: so large, we had to ask for boxes to take home that which we had no room to eat! Supper that night was brilliant!!!
The cafe is small. The tables are very close together. Some were shared. Don't worry about that - the food is so good you will not notice. There are more tables outside, if the weather is fine.
I won't let it affect my review, because I think it is amusing rather than detrimental, but there were about 15 different types of tea on offer. But who on earth is interested that one type of tea has "a hint of blackcurrant with notes of pear", or something like that? I marvel at the achievements of the wordsmiths who come up with such pretentious descriptions - but I am sorry, they are probably either inaccurate or refer to differences only detectable by a connoisseur - and they are therefore totally unnecessary in a cafe (in my view). My wife and I ordered a pot of tea for two. It tasted of tea, and was very good.
Next time we eat in Hawkshead, it will be here.