“Fantastic day”

Ranked #4 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Fantastic day”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Popped in on the off chance and were lucky to get a table. Great food great service and a great atmosphere. We decided to spend the rest of the evening at here. Well worth a visit and my next stay in the lakes will be here. Well impressed.

• Stayed April 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I've eaten at the Queen 's Head on several occasions and have always been really impressed. With that in mind I booked a weekend stay for my husband's birthday treat. The room itself was lovely but unfortunately it was outside the pub and a walk past overflowing bins wasn't the most pleasant. There was also a loud extractor fan near the room which was annoying. The menu has changed recently, not for the better, the food was distinctly average. On the Saturday evening we had to send our steaks back as they were tough. This was dealt with well by the staff on duty. Overall my husband and I both agreed that we'd had a nice weekend but we wouldn't return to the Queen 's Head. I did share this with the receptionist when I checked out.

Room Tip: Stay in the actual pub
1 Thank cbc267
Queens H, Owner at Queen's Head Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
We were very disappointed to hear that you and your husband did not enjoy your stay with us last weekend. It is our aim that all our guests leave with only happy memories.
Firstly allow me to apologise about the bins. Although they are emptied several times a week - during busy periods they can fill up very quickly. Following last weekend we have actually ordered a second bin which will hopefully solve this issue.
The kitchen extractor to which I believe you are referring is only on during food service so is generally switched off at 9.30pm and not on again until 8.30/9am. I have had to point out before on here that we are a 400 year old building not a purpose built modern hotel. Until someone invents silent extraction there is nothing we can do about this but I'm sorry it disturbed you. I hear there are sadly plans to build a premier inn in Ambleside - perhaps you would be better of in such an establishment?
We did have another couple of issues with the strip loin which came in for the weekend and apologise again that you found the steaks tough. We have spoken to our supplier regarding this issue. I'm also sorry you didn't like our menu. I feel it has something for everyone and others seem to be really enjoying it. It is heartening however to hear that you felt the staff dealt well with your complaint.
On another note I find it sad that you mention you have enjoyed eating with us several times and yet you felt it necessary to join trip advisor only this week to publish your negative review. It's a shame you didn't think to join earlier to share your positive experiences. Still they do say we are a nation of complainers.......
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 April 2014

The hotel/pub with rooms was a great contrast with the oldie worldie public areas and smart but comfortable bedrooms.
The food and service was excellent served in the busy bar restaurant. There was a great buzz about the place.

PS: The Beer was great too!

I had a steak on Saturday evening. On the menu the steak was with béarnaise. Béarnaise sauce is a favourite. When the steak arrived there was a small jug on the plate. I peered in to see there was a tawdry splash that hardly covered the bottom of the jug. On further investigation I found the liquor was far from béarnaise. I concluded that either the chef has no clue how to make the sauce or run out and not prepared to make more.
That disappointed me and as hotels and restaurants ask the public is to mention any issues while you are there I relayed my disappointment to two members of staff. It would have been nice if either one of the staff members came back unfortunately not the case. I felt that was worse than the sauce problem. Gave the impression you are gone tomorrow so what the hell.

Room Tip: We were in room 11. Small but perfectly formed.
Queens H, Owner at Queen's Head Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it for the most part. However I can only apologise for your disappointing meal and the lack of response from the members of staff you spoke with that evening. I have spoken with all members of staff who were on duty. Complaints should never be ignored and the team here are all very sorry. We hope to welcome you back in the near future for a better experience.
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel for a romantic getaway with my other half. The reviews were good and the pictures looked amazing.
On arrival the room we were located was gorgeous, we couldn't fault it...but then the issues started.
We ordered a meal in the restaurant which was uncooked, we sent it back and the staff were very apologetic and replaced the meal and offered a free drink from the bar each. By the time my meal arrived my partner had finished his meal. The staff forgot to take our free drinks off the bill, so we had to send the bill back.
The glasses in the bedroom were dirty and there was some sort of fitting that had dropped off into the shower that my partner stood on and hurt his foot.
There was a loud extractor fan outside the room that was going off all night plus we could hear the restaurant staff talking loudly under our bedroom window and then banging doors to go back inside.
In the morning, we couldn't fault the breakfast, it was lovely, apart from someone else's lipstick on my juice glass that hadn't been cleaned off....
Then on arrival back at our room someone had put the potato peeler machine on outside....the noise was awful and to top it off there was no signal on the tv.
When checking out I mentioned all of the above to the lady who stated that issues with the restaurant were not their issue and the tv had no signal due to high winds last week. The lady refused to knock any money off our bill but would "pass our comments onto management".
Very disappointed . Even £20 off the bill would have made up for our issues.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Nicky7uk
Queens H, Owner at Queen's Head Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest
Please let me address some of the ‘issues’ that both you and your partner have individually posted onto Trip advisor. Firstly can I say how disappointed we are that you did not bring up any of the issues you have listed on this ‘review’ site whilst you were here with us before you checked out. The only unsatisfactory part of your stay that you made us aware of was the one dish (a burger) that was too pink. My staff assured me that you were both happy with the way the situation had been resolved on the evening in question. You were offered complimentary drinks from the bar after the meal, it was never the arrangement to take drinks off your bill. Each member of staff has been interviewed and has said that they were given the impression throughout your stay that you were very happy. In terms of noise, I think it’s worth pointing out that we are a small 17th century Inn, there will always be some noise from the bar, restaurant and kitchen. There is a big difference between us and some the bigger chain hotels such as a premier Inn etc. Our building is quirky and full of character and although we have soundproofed the rooms, some noise may still come through the window. Our staff however, are forbidden to use any noisy equipment before 10am to ensure that our guests are not disturbed at an unreasonable hour. The piece of metal that you have very thoughtfully photographed and posted onto the site is one of the small runners from the shower door, if the door is opened forcefully it can pop out. I can assure you that this was not something that has been left or overlooked when the housekeeping team have serviced your room and it is something that we could have put right immediately if you had informed us.
Our receptionist is not authorised to take money from bills, this is why she was referring it to someone who is. She did indeed pass on your comments and I was in the process of writing to you when both of your reviews popped up onto trip advisor. I'm sorry that you did not allow me the time to write to you before going public with your views. We can only apologise that things were not as impeccable as we would like, I can assure you that we want all of our guests to leave the Queens Head having had a wonderful stay.
Cumbria
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My Girlfriend booked us in here for a one night stay before heading off again in the morning. The rooms are lovely and decorated to a high standard. However this is what we found. Dirty glasses in room , noise outside window from people talking loudly and slamming doors below our room and had to listen to an extractor fan going all night . TV signal went and never returned. Screw found in shower tray after being stood on by myself. Noise of electric potato peeler on outside of window early.We didn't sleep well due to noise of fan. No discount offered.
We decided to eat here too. Meals were OK but nothing to shout about. Girlfriends meat wasn't cooked raw in middle. Had to be sent back so I ate mine while she sat and watched then vice versa. The bar man had very limited English and could barely understand what a "cider " was. After the uncooked food was returned we were told that we could have a drink on the house. When the bill came we were not offered one and nothing taken off the bill until we pointed this out we got the round of drinks taken of the bill. Very disappointed as we had been looking forward to our stay as we had heard so many good things about the Hotel on trip advisor. Wont ever be returning as I have stayed in better places. Girlfriend complained politely to be told " Ill pass on your comments to the management".

Room Tip: Avoid room ten where we were kept awake most of the night.
Queens H, Owner at Queen's Head Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear guest
Newcastle
Reviewed 25 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in one of the cottage rooms and ate in the restaurant the first evening. The room was clean and comfortable with tasteful decor and the en suite shower was excellent.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and dinner was delicious.
But for a couple of small things we would have given it 5/5 - breakfast on the first morning was fairly chaotic and our order got missed with the result that it arrived very late and cold. Yet the following day it was perfect. Apparently they had a number of new staff so it should only be a temporary blip. Also the heating in the room seemed to be timed to come on at about 8am so it was a bit cold when we woke up.
But they're niggles really - it is a great little place to stay in the centre of Hawkshead and we'd definitely go back.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank marcopoloNewcastle
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights in one of the larger rooms, everything you need is catered for. Rooms are fabulous, and great that you've got shower gel etc already there.
Breakfast was delicious, my only gripe is that I had to keep asking for more coffee, maybe a cafetier on each table would be better.
Hawkshead is a beautiful little village, and well equipped, thank you for a lovely break, we will certainly be back.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hawkshead
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
#5 of 23 in Hawkshead
Walker Ground Manor
Walker Ground Manor
#1 of 23 in Hawkshead

Been to Queen's Head Hotel? Share your experiences!