“Very expensive for a half hour visit”

Hill Top, Beatrix Potter's House
Private Tour: Lake District of Beatrix Potter
Ranked #2 of 11 things to do in Hawkshead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hill Top was Beatrix Potter's most beloved place, packed full of her favourite things and left just as she wanted it for visitors to enjoy. You will see why she loved it so much and used it and the surrounding countryside as inspiration for many of her famous children's tales. Your visit helps the National Trust continue her work to look after the Lake District.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Very expensive for a half hour visit”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

I've always wanted to visit Beatrix Potters house so on our break to Bowness I made sure I paid a visit to see her wonderful house..... £20 for a half hour tour was very expensive for people like myself who are not a NT member. I admit I did love the house and was informed that you could not take a photographs in case of fading which I understand, but I can't see why people can't video as this doesn't cause any harm what so ever, is this another way of making more money so people have to pay for a book with the pictures in......if you love Beatrix potter PAY a visit otherwise not worth the money.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ossett, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 203 helpful votes
“A must if you love Beatrix Potter”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I had visited here in February and wanted to come back again in the summer time. Due to being NT members we were able to get in for free, but it would be very costly if you are not a member (£25 for a family ticket when it only takes over an hour to look around everything). There are plenty of spaces in the car park where you arrange your timed entry to the house before a short walk along the road to the house itself. The gardens looked great in the summer time as did the house, which was such a contrast to our previous visit.
By having timed entry to the house it prevents it being from being clogged with other tourists, which really does help it to remain quaint. It is great to be able to view her books around the house that have been opened at set pages to show the room that you are currently standing in illustrated within her book (such as Samuel Whiskers and Pie and the Patty Pan). The first room that you enter is probably the best room in the house with a great fireplace and a real cosy feel to it.
It only takes around an hour in total to look around her house and garden, but there is a large shop at the garden entrance to browse around for related memorabilia. On the way back to the car park look out for other locations from her books (and you receive a leaflet to help you spot these).
If you expect the house to be the one from the film (in the middle of nowhere) then it isn't. She actually lived next to a pub.
Certainly an interesting place to visit and thankfully we were able to get in for free. I may have felt slightly short changed to have spent £25 for a short amount of time.

2 Thank Joseph H
St. George, Utah
55 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“A treasure”
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The best part of this cottage is the fact that Beatrix designed the way the visitors experience it. Only a certain amount of people are allowed in the home at one time. That keeps things very personal and charming. My favorite thing was the little books placed in each area of the home. It is rather expensive, but I felt it was worth every penny (or pence)

Great Dunmow, United Kingdom
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Costly for non National Trust members”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was somewhere my wife wanted to visit while we were in the Lake District. Had we not been National Trust members already the £20.00 admission was top heavy for what you get. Despite the timed visit, you don't relax and feel you can take your time walking around, about half an hour is your lot!. Seems to me someone from NT reckon they can charge this amount based on the high number of visitors from other countries. Sorry, but I was not impressed with this place. The wife was disappointed also.

1 Thank GrahamC2C
Peak District National Park, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Charming”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

How charming it was to visit this very special place. A place which is not only national history but the history of our the childhood of so many of us. The welcome was as warm at Beatrix herself would have us welcomed. A very special place indeed.

Visited March 2014