“Esthwaite Water”

Esthwaite water trout fishery
Ranked #8 of 12 things to do in Hawkshead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Esthwaite water trout fishery is the largest stocked lake in the north west providing excellent brown trout and probably some of the best pike fishing in the country with the fishery record standing at 46lb, the lake also holds huge numbers of course fish with perch and roach over 3lb. you can fish from the bank or boat on a day ticket basis.
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great lake and beautiful views, not much of a walk, more rest stop, it has a great little Cafe, and Beatrix potter Trail, but I love the owners of the Cafe the were so friendly, we had a nice cuppa and a cake, and had a nice walk round, I got a couple of Pictures, there is a paying Car Park, but I parked in the fisheries and didn't pay, because I was buying in the Cafe, and does have a Public Toilet.

2  Thank pth1972

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Went there on Friday 24th January 2014 to do a spot of fishing. After getting over the initial shock of rowing a boat over to my fishing spot (having not rowed a boat for 30 years), I set up my rods and soaked up the scenery which was truly spectacular. I even had an osprey fly over the lake and did not realise they were in the Lakes. The owner was really helpful. Didn't catch anything but really enjoyed the experience and will go again for sure.

1  Thank Karl A
Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is the second summer we have taken our now 7 and 8 year old grand-daughters fishing here after THEY had rated it top activity of the previous summer. It's a gorgeous setting with really helpful staff, empathetic towards helping little ones starting out fishing. Having landed a whopping pike from the jetty last summer, we took a boat this year and landed a few good perch. There is also an excellent cafe, children's nature centre and even a couple of adorable tame rabbits - lots for the family as well as fishing! Dr Bob

2  Thank Dr Bob T
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Had a great days fishing with my son.
We are both novice anglers but both managed to land a few fish!! 4 Perch for me and 2 Perch and a Brown Trout for my boy!! (Which I was very jealous of)
Really helpful and supplied us with all the tackle and bait required, plus some helpfull tips.
We hired a boat, so peaceful fishing out on the lake and a great way to spend some quality time with my son.
We will definitely be returning next year maybe more than once.

Reviewed 26 August 2013 via mobile

Both myself and my husband turned up as beginners at fishing and ended up catching 5 fish in total thanks to the tips from the staff. Setting was beautiful and had a nice sandwich from the cafe! Lovely day out and would go back again!