“Home from home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawkshead
Merlin House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here with friends last week-end and can highly recommend this B &B. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. Although handy for the village there are lovely views of Claife Heights and Latterbarrow and parking which can be tricky in Hawkshead.
Breakfast was delicious and Annie went out of her way to get some black pudding for my Swedish friend who wanted to try it ! She also volunteered to dry our wet clothes and was very accommodating over breakfast time - we wanted an early start and she insisted on cooking for us.
Very pleasant experience and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: All the rooms are en suite and very cosy
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Dave C

Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at the Merlin House BB (Aug 2013). We stayed in a bright, simply decorated (in a good way, no out dated chintz or overly gaudy colours) room with superb views over the fields to Claiffe Heights. The room and ensuite were clean on arrival and cleaned every day during our stay. The room was large enough to comfortably accommodate 2 adults and our 4 year old child and was very quiet both during the day and evening. The location is great, only a 2 minute stroll from the main square in Hawkshead, with parking outside the front door (which is rare in Hawkshead, where you often have to park in the large village car park and carry your bags through the village).

Anne was very welcoming and the breakfast was delicious (fantastic mushrooms). Our party consisted of a vegetarian and an awkward child, she happily accommodated all our special requests and made my little boy feel very at home. Best of all it was great value for money, we will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Sharron S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Merlin House in August 2013 and had a brilliant weekend.

The location couldn't be better! Hawkshead is a lovely lakes village set in a prime area for for walking. We went on 2 walks from the the B&B over the weekend. One was a hike up to Tarn Hows and over to Coniston, the other a gentle stroll up Latterbarrow and over to Outgate. I was please that we could choose a variety of walks without having to get in the car. After our walks, we were able to enjoy various places to eat and drink within very short walking distance.

The interior of Merlin House is very homely and welcoming. Our bedroom was clean and very comfortable with beautiful views over the fields and fells. The choice of breakfast excellent and was expertly prepared and served with a big smile and plenty enthusiasm and local knowledge by Annie, the landlady.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay which left me wondering when I could return for another!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Col A
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. Anne and Ed were very helpful and full of knowledge about the local area, huge breakfast and comfortable clean rooms. Me and my wife being walkers, set off from the house both mornings and Grizedale forest was a 10 minute walk from the front door and Claif Heights was also a great day walking. There is plenty to do in the village with 4!! pubs, the Beatrix Potter gallery and William Wordsworth's grammar school.
Will return again.

Room Tip: All the front rooms wake up to the sunrise.
7  Thank DavidGarland
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Stayed at this b/b to celebrate my 70th birthday. The breakfast was excellent and the room was quiet, clean and spacious. We felt very much at home and enjoyed a relaxing break. Anne was very helpful and knowledgable about the surrounding area.

9  Thank Florence H
Reviewed 15 May 2013

This b&b is in the perfect location, close to the local pubs and shops. Unfortunately, myself and my husband did find problems with our room. When we entered the room it was noticeable that the carpet hadn't been hoovered properly as there were bits all over it. The draws were lined with some old paper that had hair and dust in, which put me off using them. Most of the things in the room were covered in thick dust which was obvious they hadn't been dusted for weeks, if not months. The clock wasn't working (not hard or expensive to replace a battery). The complementary coffee was mixed with 2 brands that looked really odd and put us of drinking it. My husband opened a milk carton to find the milk had gone off.
I don't know where to start with the bathroom. It was the first time in my life I have ever felt more dirty after my shower than I did before I went in. The shower tiles was covered in hair. The shower head had a very thick layer of brown gunk on (photo attached) and when I went to wipe some water off the floor, one wipe left my cloth black! There was a coffee ring stain on the window sill on the landing outside our room that was there for the whole weekend.
On a positive note, the breakfast was nice, although on the first morning I did find 3 hairs in my toast.
Myself and my husband paid £140 in total to stop for 2 nights. I wasn't expecting a 5* experience, but I was expecting a clean and comfortable one.
Would return to the village again but never to this b&b.

Room Tip: Pack cleaning products.
3  Thank Purple187048
Reviewed 30 September 2011

just a great place for comfort, lovely breakfast, parking at the front door, warm & homely

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple