“Comfortable room, warm welcome and good location.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hawkshead
Merlin House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #15 of 23 Hawkshead B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We booked at the last minute having tried over 30 other establishments. We didn't have high expectations and was pleasantly surprised when we arrived. There was a warm welcome, the owner was pleased to provide information about the local village and the room had everything we required.

We had a very comfortable stay and the breakfast was fantastic. Hawkshead village centre is literally footsteps away and the property was easy to find.

The bathroom was a little on the small side but perfectly practical for a short stay and typical of this style of accommodation.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank JudyCharmersWannabe

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My daughter and I stayed with Annie and Ed in August for a family wedding. We had traveled from Canada to spend two nights in the Lake District ! Annie and Ed could not have been more welcoming. We stayed in the room that had a single and a double bed which was great as my twelve year old had her own space and so did I . The breakfast was bigger than you could imagine. Local sausages, bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs and more. Annie could not have been kinder if she had tried! She even gave us a lift to the wedding as I had hurt my leg before arriving and despite me saying I would get a taxi, she was insistent that she would take us. My daughter also loved Annie's sense of humour . The B and B is in a great location to take a two minute stroll into Hawkeshead with some lovely pubs to visit and great fish and chips at one of the cafes. l I would highly recommend the Merlin House as a friendly and welcoming home to stay in. Annie could not have done more to make our stay a memorable one.Thank you Annie for a lovely time.

Room Tip: If you are travelling with a child or a friend or partner that snores ! Ask for the the room that we...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Anne M
Reviewed 18 September 2013

My Partner & I recently stayed here and found it a really great place to stay. The hosts Ed & Annie made us so welcome and provided such warm hospitality with an extensive local knowledge and suggestions. The rooms were very comfortable, clean and well provisioned. The B&B is very well placed for all the local attractions, village, country walks and surrounding scenery. Annie produced such wonderful breakfasts and Ed is such an entertaining raconteur. One day, when suffering from a cold, Ed lent me his book entitled "Full Breakfast" recounting their experiences and life as B&B hosts over the years. It was a definate pick me up and provided many entertaining stories, so much so that I read it in one day and bought a copy to bring back home to Australia. A most enjoyable stay with them and lots of fond memories to take home.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Tony C
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here with friends last week-end and can highly recommend this B &B. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming. Although handy for the village there are lovely views of Claife Heights and Latterbarrow and parking which can be tricky in Hawkshead.
Breakfast was delicious and Annie went out of her way to get some black pudding for my Swedish friend who wanted to try it ! She also volunteered to dry our wet clothes and was very accommodating over breakfast time - we wanted an early start and she insisted on cooking for us.
Very pleasant experience and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: All the rooms are en suite and very cosy
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 9 August 2013

We have just returned from a four night stay at the Merlin House BB (Aug 2013). We stayed in a bright, simply decorated (in a good way, no out dated chintz or overly gaudy colours) room with superb views over the fields to Claiffe Heights. The room and ensuite were clean on arrival and cleaned every day during our stay. The room was large enough to comfortably accommodate 2 adults and our 4 year old child and was very quiet both during the day and evening. The location is great, only a 2 minute stroll from the main square in Hawkshead, with parking outside the front door (which is rare in Hawkshead, where you often have to park in the large village car park and carry your bags through the village).

Anne was very welcoming and the breakfast was delicious (fantastic mushrooms). Our party consisted of a vegetarian and an awkward child, she happily accommodated all our special requests and made my little boy feel very at home. Best of all it was great value for money, we will definitely visit again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank Sharron S
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My fiance and I stayed at Merlin House in August 2013 and had a brilliant weekend.

The location couldn't be better! Hawkshead is a lovely lakes village set in a prime area for for walking. We went on 2 walks from the the B&B over the weekend. One was a hike up to Tarn Hows and over to Coniston, the other a gentle stroll up Latterbarrow and over to Outgate. I was please that we could choose a variety of walks without having to get in the car. After our walks, we were able to enjoy various places to eat and drink within very short walking distance.

The interior of Merlin House is very homely and welcoming. Our bedroom was clean and very comfortable with beautiful views over the fields and fells. The choice of breakfast excellent and was expertly prepared and served with a big smile and plenty enthusiasm and local knowledge by Annie, the landlady.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay which left me wondering when I could return for another!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Col A
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Couldn't have enjoyed our stay more. Anne and Ed were very helpful and full of knowledge about the local area, huge breakfast and comfortable clean rooms. Me and my wife being walkers, set off from the house both mornings and Grizedale forest was a 10 minute walk from the front door and Claif Heights was also a great day walking. There is plenty to do in the village with 4!! pubs, the Beatrix Potter gallery and William Wordsworth's grammar school.
Will return again.

Room Tip: All the front rooms wake up to the sunrise.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple