A balanced review I hope. Please read all....
Family of four, 2 adults, 2 older teenagers staying for two nights (We stayed on a Thursday and Friday night) on route to Scotland from Kent. Sat Nav located the Station Inn with no issues.
We arrived at 16:00 approx. Large empty car park but gets much busier after 18:00 so arrive early for a closer space. We were expected, and were shown to our room by a helpful member of bar staff. We had a bright family room, this was a very large double bed, two full size singles in a separate area, although there is no curtain or divider between these areas. A very large bath/shower room with WC, old style but working TV, dressing tables, and furniture. The room was very clean & comfortable. Clean good quality towels provided. The cost by booking direct was £115 per night for a family of four, although in our opinion as the family room was not divided a slightly lower price would seem fairer.
NOTE. The accommodation is situated just across the very small back courtyard, ADJACENT to the bars and restaurant. The area is used by smokers and those coming out of the bars for fresh air etc. I was concerned that reading previous reviews that there would be lots of noise, or smoke coming up to the room as there are two large Velux style windows for our room. This wasn't the case; although the pub and restaurant were not that busy during our stay and I can see how if larger groups were standing drinking/smoking or both in the courtyard then it would be an issue. There were a couple of loud people, so those wanting real peace and quiet before the pub and restaurant close beware. We went to bed after most had left so not a big issue for us.
There is a coded door between the accommodation block and the courtyard, but this was left permanently unlocked and when I asked if it could be locked (as we were going out) I was told they don't get people going in there who are not residing. I disagree as I found a guy standing in the doorway who was having a cigarette whilst chatting on the phone as it was raining slightly. The laundry room is also just inside the door and the staff need to be QUIETER in the mornings when going in and out, as they can disturb your sleep. Again they leave the door open when going in and out to access the laundry.
Location. The area is excellent for getting into Kendal (5 mins), and to the lakes with Windermere being a 20 min drive away approx. The train station was only 2 mins around the corner. All well signposted, and even in August the local roads were not very busy. The Station Inn itself is directly on a country lane, even with this the traffic was very minimal and it was never an issue.
The staff were at all times helpful, and when we asked for a couple of extra pillows these were brought straight to us. Alison, was particularly helpful and made us feel welcome and that nothing was too much trouble. They also provided us with the password for the Wifi which also worked fine as well.
The food was good, with a set menu and a specials board. The portion sizes were ok and the service again was quite swift. The steaks were good quality, as were all the meals that were tried. Prices varied, but were quite high for the meat dishes. It s worth noting that your bill will go up swiftly when eating and drinking at the Station Inn, as it is so easy to stay put at night !!
Excellent breakfast (Served by Alison) A choice of options, including the full English which most of us sampled, but all was good quality and well presented. Toast/bread as much as required and the same with tea/coffee, cereals and juice. The breakfast was included in our room cost.
There is a very pleasant outside area with Chickens, Alpacas and a large playing area for children. This is fenced in for safety and is between the car park and the Inn itself. As we had older children we only popped in to see the animals, but it is a good area for those with younger children to let off some steam and wear them out a little !
Overall a good break, the rating is given as very good due to the staff, food and accommodation being very clean and well presented.
OWNERS PLEASE NOTE.... address the at times noisy courtyard area, and the security of the accommodation area as the car park is direct access into that location. Maybe install an inexpensive ELECTRONIC KEY ACCESS FOB for staff and guests to access the courtyard door into the rooms and laundry, and to stop unwanted visitors !!
But we would stay again, and hope the above issues had been addressed.......
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Station Inn was oncean old farmhouse, whichat a later date became aCoaching Inn. It is dated aroundthe turn of the century and issituated on the old Tebay toLancaster coaching road.Situated just outside the village of Oxenholme,near Kendal, the Inn is just five minutes from therailway station and is on the W2W Walney to Wear &Whitby cycle route.The Inn is set in a beautiful rural setting withattractive views over the local countryside.We haveample car parking, full disabled facilities, a large beergarden and outdoor adventure playground.free WiFiSituated just outside the village of Oxenholme,near Kendal, the Inn is just five minutes from therailway station and is on the W2W Walney to Wear &Whitby cycle route.The Inn is set in a beautiful rural setting withattractive views over the local countryside.We haveample car parking, full disabled facilities, a large beergarden and outdoor adventure playground. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Station Inn Oxenholme reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Station Inn Oxenholme Hotel Kendal
- Station Inn Oxenholme Kendal, Lake District