“Fabulous get away”

Ranked #11 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fabulous get away”
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay at the Gilpin Bridge Hotel & Inn, and I would like to thank Terry and all his staff for a great couple of days. They made us feel so very welcome and went out of their way to pander to our needs.
The food was exceptional and the room was clean and warm, just the thing when you get back from a cold walk in the hills.
We met some lovely people in the bar and the whole atmosphere was one of relaxation around the fire.
I would recomment the Gilpin Bridge Inn to anyone and we will definately return.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Susan G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2014

We stayed at the Gilpin for 2 nights after buying a deal from deal monster. Yes the Inn/ Hotel could do with a refurb and is a little dated but its clean the staff are friendly and the rooms were well equipt and for me thats what its all about. The only complaint was the shower in the room which had no power but with a bath in the room there wasnt an issue. Breakfast was lovely with ample choice and afternoon tea that came with the deal was a lovely suprise. We ate at the Gilpin both evenings and that was very nice. The staff and chef were very accomodating. Its quite remote so you are limited in the evening but the pub is pleasant enough to have a drink in and there is a pool table and games that you can help youself too. Its onky 10 or so minutes from Kendal and 20 from Bowness. Its a pleasant base for staying in this area and well worth the Deal x

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Jimmy77777777777
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed with friends for a 2 night break booked through deal monster in February. Sounded like fantastic value for money - 2 nights bed & breakfast including afternoon tea on arrival. Arrived around 4.30 & checked in with no problems. Room was small but very clean & comfortable. Spent the first night having dinner in the bar & drinks. Staff were extremely friendly. After spending the day in bowness we decided to eat in kendal that evening but everywhere seemed to be fully booked. As it was getting quite late we phoned the hotel to see if it would be possible to still eat there. This was no problem & the manager said he would tell the chef we were on out way back. Breakfast was excellent in both days with plenty of choice. Wouldn't hesitate to book another deal monster offer here again. All staff very helpful & nothing too much trouble. Only let down was the showers, not very warm & pressure was quite low

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Allykerner
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2014

its a shame when the owner of the gilpin bridge inn seems hellbent on putting himself out of business , he wont listen to his staff or customers .
stayed three nights in jan , rooms very cold , which spoilt the stay completely , staff were great , food good , but if you continue to ignore peoples legitimate complaints , they wont come back or recommend a stay at the lakes new ice hotel.

2 Thank vince1234403

Travellers are raving about these Kendal hotels

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I went to the Gilpin Bridge Inn on a 2 night midweek trip with my boyfriend. We arrived around 2pm and checked in before going straight out again. The manager checked us in and explained about breakfast etc but didn't tell us one of the keys was to get in a main door if the bar was closed.
The room was ok at first glance, if a bit dated. However the towels were so old and small I wish I'd brought our own. It was also freezing cold, no heating on at all. As we were going straight out we weren't too worried at the time. There was a lot of dust on everything and bottom sheet on the bed was too small, although the bed was comfy. As there were only 9 rooms I was quite shocked it was not clean. The soap holder also fell off the bathroom wall.
After getting back late afternoon we went to the room and it was still freezing. We had to ask for the heating to be put on.
We ate in the actual inn the first night and the food was lovely, as was the service of the staff. The next morning we woke up and no heating on again! I don't know why this is not on a timer?
Breakfast was delicious, we both had the Cumbrian full breakfast. The selection was very good, also included smoked salmon and scrambled egg (which I had the following morning) and a continenatal option.
Day 2 was better with the heating, it stayed on until we went to bed around midnight but was not on again when we woke up. As breakfast is served from 8am, to not have heating on at that time was not acceptable as it was very cold trying to get showered and dressed.

We went on this trip using an online voucher and for that reason only it was good value. The offer included afternoon tea which we never actually got. We asked for it on day 2 but there was no one in to make it!. If you go using this offer I would suggest checking in before 5pm and taking the tea on day one.

I am easily pleased when visitng hotels as I hardly spend time actually in the room, in UK and abroad. So long as it's clean and the bed is comfy. I wouldn't go back here, even on an.other offer

Room Tip: The location is good, prety close to Kendal and Windermere. Also easy to get to from M6
4 Thank debbiedoodles
Padanaram Forfar, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Booked a 3 night stay at the Gilpin Bridge Hotel and Inn which was listed as 4 Star, the four star appears to be self assessed, well I would rate it a 1 possibly 2 star.

We arrived at 6pm, we were told the bathroom light was faulty, this should have given us a warning, our room was no 8, we went to our room and opened the door, the room was very small, the room was very cold, the heating had been turned off, the room was clean, but the bedding couldn't be called "crisp", the pillows were flat and all miss-shaped, there was only one towel in the room, taking this all in mind went for dinner, after a nice meal and a great chat in the bar with a lovely couple we returned to our room at around 10:30pm.

The heating was on but it wasn't cozy, it was just warm, going to bed the sheet and duvet felt very cold, in fact they were damp and wet, I couldn't be bothered going back down to the bar to complain, so slept with my dogs blanket, which was freshly washed and clean covering me and tried to get some sleep and I can confirm others comments the walls were thin as appear and I could hear everything from the room opposite, the couple had a great night!!!!!

I hardly slept as the toilet shaving light was fixed on all night and due to the noise from next door, on getting up I went for a shower, it didn't work, I knew the water pressure was low as the loo took ages to flush and refill also the sink water pressure was low and took ages to heat up, so having no shower we went for breakfast to be told that they had a problem with the gas supply and couldn't offer a hot breakfast, what next! We were offered scrambled eggs beans and sausages, well my wife is allergic to butter so we asked and were told the eggs were made fresh and could be made with marg, so she ordered that, I ordered the all three, on being served the meal the eggs were not freshly made, they were cold and greenish in colour, yuck! My beans were just warm and the sausages were cold so we both left the breakfast offering and went back to our room an decided to checkout!

I reported to reception or in other words the bar and spoke to a lady called Pauline who was very apologetic and also one of her staff was also there and was upset at our experience, we were offered an other room but I refused, and asked for a credit and was given it without a problem, the evening before we had put our meal and drinks on our room tab, so I expected that to be added to be added to our bill but it wasn't and the girl who was AT&T he bar came out to find me to,tell me the mistake, on checking the refund we were charged in full for the room and breakfast!

I was also offered a free nights stay by Pauline if we ever wanted to try them again at a later date, sorry Pauline one visit to the Gilpin Bridge Hotel and inn was enough! but thanks for the free offer!

Wouldn't recommend a stay here at all unless it is refurbished. One thing I will say as others have is that the staff are brilliant and friendly, nothing was too much bother for them!

Room Tip: If you so visit don't ask for room 7 or 8 or be prepared to listen to your neighbours!
6 Thank George G
Newbiggin-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

we arrived here on thursday for a two night stay and recieved a very warm welcome from the young lady on duty .. we found the manager and staff were very friendly and helpful .( nothing was a problem for them) although the accomadation could do with an update , the room was very clean and the food we had was first class and well presented . we really enjoyed our stay here and plan on returning the next time we visit the area . ( keep up the good work and thank you for a pleasant stay )

1 Thank Ashley B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kendal
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Gilpin Bridge Inn, Levens? Share your experiences!